Thoughts on EBMM guitars?

I’m not into their body designs much but they play buttery smooth. They don’t make enough fixed bridges though. I don’t mess with trems anymore.

Reactions: rsm
For me, the people who design those Music Man guitars are very hit or miss. They're either FANTASTIC, or they're HORRIBLE-looking. Kinda no middle ground.

Well, TBH, they are middle grounds. Like the Stingray Bass or the OG Petruccis. But then, they come with abominations like the Valentine or whatever those that look like some random cheapie import guitar from the 70's at a pawn shop, just made with really fancy woods. Or their Les Paul wannabe. Yuck.

But then, the Axes are iconic, IMO. And then those second-gen Petruccis all the way befor the Majesties are really tasteful.

First time I ever fell in love with the neck on a guitar it was an EBMM EVH. I went to high school with Richie Castellano (dude in Blue Oyster Cult for the last 15-20 years and has the Band Geeks youtube channel, amazing musician) and it was the first time I ever played one. Mandolin Bros in Staten Island had a whole wall of them…..for under $2K back then! That gunstock oiled neck and it’s shape was fucking perfect.

Great guitars, but my cutoff point these days is $1500. If I can’t get it for that, I’d rather partscaster it, build it from random RG parts or find something used. Great quality on every EBMM I’ve ever put my hands on, but I don’t need anything that refined/finished to perfection to do what I do, as much as I’d love to have one. I’m still dying to play a legit Majesty.

I'm the same way, the vast majority of the time.

At least for me, the cutoff point is around 1500$ where the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.

If I found a blue EBMM valentine for that price I would probably pull the trigger 🤷

I had an amber axis that looked amazing...it was a dream guitar for me...unfortunately, the narrow neck and the small guitar body was not for me...(big guy with big hands)

Beautiful guitars with some amazing wood stocks. Very nicely built as well.
I could never use them though as they just feel very small to me.

I'm interested in the Kaizen 6 Indigo Blue which is why I asked about EBMM here!

IIRC some models / colors are limited to 60 or 75 guitars. Apollo black is the standard color. Doesn't look like they are selling well, there are many brand new listed on reverb in all colors except the silver 7-string (limited to 75 guitars)

edit: ordered a new EBMM Kaizen 6 Indigo Blue; waiting for shipping info. From what I can tell, only 60 of these are available in each limited color: Indigo Blue, Chalk White and Mint. Not clear if they will continue to make models in Apollo Black which they call a standard color, or introduce new colors in the future.
Dang, you ordered one? :love: Yeah, I have noticed too the slow sales on them which is partly why I've been waiting for a good used deal in case I wasn't totally set on it. Even the limited silver one has been in stock for about a year. Not sure if any of those ever went to dealers. I'm def excited to hear your thoughts though.

Dang, you ordered one? :love: Yeah, I have noticed too the slow sales on them which is partly why I've been waiting for a good used deal in case I wasn't totally set on it. Even the limited silver one has been in stock for about a year. Not sure if any of those ever went to dealers. I'm def excited to hear your thoughts though.
Yes. Now that I ordered one they'll have a price cut :bash: ; wouldn't be the first time. I remember the 7-string Kaizen launch, but I was considering a Majesty, and found the Kaizen 6 which I like more, though a floating trem would be better. First fanned fret too, so there's that but the specs, design, looks, features, etc. look good to me.

edit: shipped. 6 lbs 6 oz.

Pic from SW:

PNG-front-xlarge.jpg.auto.png

Last edited:
I loved my 2001 EBMM Axis. It was a great guitar but I eventually could not get along with the 10" radius neck as I just preferred the 12" radius necks on my Kramers. At one time I had two Axis, one Amber quilt and one Tobacco Burst quilt, both great guitars.

I was using the Axis as a replacement to my ole number one Kramer which was needing a full refret which was finally done and gotten back into rotation after the refret. I have sold the Tobacco Burst and traded the Amber quilt for an amp of equal value at the time.

I have played some EVH guitars and I still seem to prefer the Axis.

Congrats! I'm a Jackson fanboy but I have a JP6 in sky blue and I love it! I would like to get another one in a seven-string version, but holy shit did they go up in price. I'm digging the Kaizen but the fanned fret scale I don't get for the 7-string version. I get it for the 6 string which is 24.75 to 25.5 and it makes sense, but I don't understand why for the 7 string they did 24.75 to 25.7? It makes no sense to me for a 7 string. They should have done a 25.5 to 26.5 scale. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the guitar!

Beautiful guitars with some amazing wood stocks. Very nicely built as well.
I could never use them though as they just feel very small to me.
Yup, I haven’t played them all by any stretch but everything about the EB guitars I’ve held felt too small, including the neck carve

Would love to try a Valentine!
Love the looks.
Not so sure on active pups though.

Also dig the Luke.

My buddy has a Sabre and that thing is just great!!
Almost plays itself...

The Sabre is an incredible instrument! Roasted flame maple neck (mine has rosewood fb), awesome pickups in HB or split. One that could be my only guitar, as if that was possible.

The EBMM Axis is one of the most comfortable guitars I’ve played. The pickups are awesome. It’s my go-to guitar for distorted leads.

Back