Greenback 20/25 VS Creamback 65

Yeah, I haven't tried them myself, but that's like the opposite of all the clips I've heard and all the descriptions I've read from people that have them.

Nasal isn't my personal experience either. Agree with John that they are closer tonally to the standard issue 25w GB speaker.
Sure you don't have one or two wired out of phase ?

I'm with Giga. I know exactly what he is talking about, and my Creambacks were not out of phase either. I sold mine too. Fortunately, there are a lot of guys who love this speaker, and mine sold quickly. I much prefer my Scumbacks over the Creambacks.
Creamback=thin tight low end.
greenback=looser squashier low end, but more musical to my ears. I'm a fan of the Heritage green. I don't care for the ratty high end of the re-issues.
I wanted the Creambacks in hopes that they were the answer to the greenback problem. Greenbacks are great, but the low end farted out on me too much when pushed hard. Yes the Creambacks low end is a LOT tighter, but something just wasn't right for me. I bought and tried the Creambacks twice, and I just couldnt get into them. To each there own.....
I'm also a huge fan of the Lynchbacks. Still wanting 16ohm LB's too! but I use two 8's in-series, and they kill in my Kerry Wright Diagonal 2x12!

~my 2 cents for the day.~

EyesOfTheSouth":2qvrw3fn said:
That's odd. I don't find them nasal or thin in the least. If anything they might be a hair too "full" sounding in my 4x12. The low end can get overwhelming and tubby at times. But they sound perfect in my 2x12. I prefer the Lynchbacks in a 4x12 format.

How did you break them in? Are you sure you didn't damage them?

I'd love to try a pair of the Creams out in a Stone Age 2x12 I have. But I threw a pair of old G12-65's from the 80's in there and they sound damm good. I probably should just play and stop thinking about tone. :doh:

danyeo":25icmtru said:
EyesOfTheSouth":25icmtru said:
That's odd. I don't find them nasal or thin in the least. If anything they might be a hair too "full" sounding in my 4x12. The low end can get overwhelming and tubby at times. But they sound perfect in my 2x12. I prefer the Lynchbacks in a 4x12 format.

I probably should just play and stop thinking about tone. :doh:

Gosh I wish I could do that.....LOL

EyesOfTheSouth":2n1tjouv said:

I had them on a Variac for a couple of hours and then played random music (Spotify) through them. Of course one can never be sure they aren't damaged but I heard the same phenomena right after I put them in (which is why I decided to "extra" break them in).

I'm gonna give it some more time and play the hell out of them and use some different amps also. Right now I've only used my RK100.

Giga

bushkey":1de9n4rs said:
I'm with Giga. I know exactly what he is talking about, and my Creambacks were not out of phase either. I sold mine too. Fortunately, there are a lot of guys who love this speaker, and mine sold quickly. I much prefer my Scumbacks over the Creambacks.
greenback=looser squashier low end, but more musical to my ears. I'm a fan of the Heritage green. I don't care for the ratty high end of the re-issues.
I wanted the Creambacks in hopes that they were the answer to the greenback problem. Greenbacks are great, but the low end farted out on me too much when pushed hard. Yes the Creambacks low end is a LOT tighter, but something just wasn't right for me. I bought and tried the Creambacks twice, and I just couldnt get into them. To each there own.....
I'm also a huge fan of the Lynchbacks. Still wanting 16ohm LB's too! but I use two 8's in-series, and they kill in my Kerry Wright Diagonal 2x12!

Just goes to show how subjective tone is. I prefer the Creambacks and RI Greens. I recently sold off a quad of EVH (Heritage) and black frame Scumback 65's because they didn't compare.

But I'm with you on the Lynchbacks. That is my go to speaker.

bushkey":1weg05n8 said:

I'm not hearing a thin low end here. And at least here the Creambacks sound a lot better than the Scumbacks.

danyeo":1hy1jwxc said:
bushkey":1hy1jwxc said:

I'm not hearing a thin low end here. And at least here the Creambacks sound a lot better than the Scumbacks.

Jim is a much better player then I, his rig is different then mine, he has the old blue frame scumbacks, mine are the newer black frames, and its YouTube, not live. My scumbacks and creambacks sounded different live then they sound in this video. I didnt like my blue framed scumbacks, but love my new black framers. This video was one of the reasons why I decided to buy more creambacks and try them a second time. At the end of the day, tone is subjective, and there are a bunch of factors that influence it. I'm stoked that the CB has been a successful speaker for a lot of guys. Keep rocking the free world.

Well low and behold: I played my SLO through the creamback cab and all was fine. Very close to the GB cab. A little more bass, a little more highs (remember the greenbacks are 40+ years old) and a little less mids. A little less loud overall.

So, I opened the RK and changed some components in the tonestack, added a few anodecaps and voilá, the tone is there or at least it seemed like that yesterday. I'm gonna play it again with fresh ears to see if it stays that way. Anyhoo, we're going in the right direction it seems.

I'm just baffled that it turns out an amp can work very well with one cab and very bad with another while another amp works just fine on both cabs.

Giga

Giga":yasz9t12 said:
Well low and behold: I played my SLO through the creamback cab and all was fine. Very close to the GB cab. A little more bass, a little more highs (remember the greenbacks are 40+ years old) and a little less mids. A little less loud overall.

So, I opened the RK and changed some components in the tonestack, added a few anodecaps and voilá, the tone is there or at least it seemed like that yesterday. I'm gonna play it again with fresh ears to see if it stays that way. Anyhoo, we're going in the right direction it seems.

I'm just baffled that it turns out an amp can work very well with one cab and very bad with another while another amp works just fine on both cabs.

Giga

As you are finding its important to match the amp with the cab/speakers. So much so that I have an excel file matrix with what cabs work with what amps. I have one amp that works at least okay with all my speakers/cabs, my Fender Brown Super. And I have one cab that works at least okay with all my amps, the Mesa halfback 412, but aside from those special cases, some amps and cabs are picky.

blackba":3v0x4c6p said:
Giga":3v0x4c6p said:

Giga

As you are finding its important to match the amp with the cab/speakers. So much so that I have an excel file matrix with what cabs work with what amps. I have one amp that works at least okay with all my speakers/cabs, my Fender Brown Super. And I have one cab that works at least okay with all my amps, the Mesa halfback 412, but aside from those special cases, some amps and cabs are picky.
Soo true..My Jubilee sounds so much better with either Marshall Vintages, regular v30s and especially with G12-65s. My JMP sounds average with V30s but GREAT with the 65s and GBs..speaker/amp matching is very important. Some sell great amps because they don't match up the right speakers with them..

Since y'all brought up Lynchbacks... I'm putting them under consideration for my Avatar 112 cab. At the moment, it's between that and Heritage G12M. I'm basically looking for a speaker that won't sound too lifeless at low volumes (see my thread: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139293)

For a guy that loves mids and high gain from a 50-watt SLO100 copy-cat, how would you compare these two speakers?

These speaker threads kill me.
"I think they sound like this"
"No, that's not my experience, they sound like this when I had them"

Meanwhile one owner is playing a Marshall clone, another a 5150, and another an Axe FX. All with different guitars and pickup voicing's too. C'mon !

siggy14":sqhqp3y6 said:
Here is a good comparison of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Iqt38GM3w

I thought the first Greenback clip sounded the best.

I'm looking for a pair of speakers to throw in a 2x12 cab. I had 2 old 65's in there but I want something a little brighter. I'd prefer to be able to wire it at 8 OHMS which is an issue with the Lynchbacks. I may look at Scums again. And I don't exactly run my tone like the video that compared the Creambacks and Scumbacks.

bushkey":1cax53xb said:

Jim is a much better player then I, his rig is different then mine, he has the old blue frame scumbacks, mine are the newer black frames, and its YouTube, not live. My scumbacks and creambacks sounded different live then they sound in this video. I didnt like my blue framed scumbacks, but love my new black framers. This video was one of the reasons why I decided to buy more creambacks and try them a second time. At the end of the day, tone is subjective, and there are a bunch of factors that influence it. I'm stoked that the CB has been a successful speaker for a lot of guys. Keep rocking the free world.[/quote]

I just want to clarify a couple of things. I have some Creambacks here (both originals from 1974 and the recent reissue) that I compared against M75's, M75-PVC's and BM75 (BlackBack versions). It's tough to explain but I'll give it a try. The Creambacks don't have as much low mids/low end as any of my M series speakers above. They have a mid frequency which is notched/shelved in a way that doesn't sound like the older Greenbacks (pre 1980) that I design into my speakers.

At low to mid volumes they sound thinner/tighter, but don't have the same "grunt/impact" that I hear from the old Celestions or my M series. When I crank my 50w through them they sound their best with the amp on 9 (no master volume, just a 1987 50w head built to 1969 circuit specs), but sound smaller at volume levels less than that when compared to the Scumback M's or my original pre rola Greenbacks. I can't explain why that occurs, as I did FBI these speakers before testing them. This is true of both the originals and the Creamback reissues.

Some may like this type of response, I didn't care for it. Different strokes.

As for the Jim B video above, he's playing the older blue frame Scumback M75's which are not as robust sounding as the newer black frame Scumbacks, but he is using one of my 2x12 adjustable back cabs in this video to demonstrate both speakers. My dealers and amp companies all believe that the black frame Scumbacks are a step up from the blue frame models. Due to that I have a number of new amp companies ordering speakers including Two-Rock, Tone King, Three Monkeys, and a number of others. So a real comparison would be a black frame M75 vs a Creamback to be fair.

As for the Greenback 20/25w reissues vs Creambacks, I haven't compared those.

Hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend!

Jim

Back