Reaching out to Mark Cameron

I

I’ve been so far down that path of trying all the vintage Marshall type amps and just warning you that none of them measured up to the real deal. Might be better to start with that and seeing if any of those “boutique” amps can actually hold their own to you to the real deal. Just my 2 cents

The only amps I’ve kept that sound somewhat Marshall-y, but not really, are my Wizard MTL and Naylor. Those are fantastic amps imo

the problem is real deal vintage plexis have gone thru the roof

I

I’ve been so far down that path of trying all the vintage Marshall type amps and just warning you that none of them measured up to the real deal. Might be better to start with that and seeing if any of those “boutique” amps can actually hold their own to you to the real deal. Just my 2 cents

The only amps I’ve kept that sound somewhat Marshall-y, but not really, are my Wizard MTL and Naylor. Those are fantastic amps imo
Yeah I should have clarified by Marshall flavors. I meant actual vintage Marshalls, just different circuits (800/1959/1987). If I was going for another boutique amp in the Marshall camp I'd go Wizard. :)

Yeah I should have clarified by Marshall flavors. I meant actual vintage Marshalls, just different circuits (800/1959/1987). If I was going for another boutique amp in the Marshall camp I'd go Wizard. :)
"800" is not a circuit per say.

I bet his amp is cool. But for me, a handwired 1959 modded is too cool. I am worried he may make a multichannel amp to appease the masses. The dynamics of volume roll to clean and no boost gives me a lot of hope for some cool guitar>amp tones.

I had a 2010 Wizard MC100 with the C transformers, which are the most Marshally from what I’ve read. It was a killer amp. But, when I bought a 72 SuperTrem and hit it with a boost I realized that I wouldn’t miss that MC at all. Find yourself a early 70s JMP, boost it and be amazed.

I had a 2010 Wizard MC100 with the C transformers, which are the most Marshally from what I’ve read. It was a killer amp. But, when I bought a 72 SuperTrem and hit it with a boost I realized that I wouldn’t miss that MC at all. Find yourself a early 70s JMP, boost it and be amazed.
That's great to hear! Yeah early 70's Mkii's or vertical input 800's are what I'm interested in. Mostly the superlead/plexi tone though. Been watching way too much Johan Segeborn. LoL

RSP is building really great sounding amps, really outstanding sounding amps built with an impressive craftmanship, no doubt.

AFAIK he's using Hammond transformers, which technically regarded definitely are of a higher quality than the Dagnall or Drake TX's of the old 70' Marshall amps, but...

... inside these slightly inferior transformers is buried the secret of the British sound, the British dirt, which you can't get with transformers of current production anymore. It's that special kind and mix of even order and odd order harmonics coming out additional of these OT's when pushed hard or into saturation - and it's that special kind of sag of the PT, when playing beyond a certain volume level and then when you strung the strings hard, followed by a interesting decay while you hold the note and let it decay, let it skip into overtones.

This kind of sound with the legendary British dirt in it and the behaviour of the amp is almost impossible to recreate by building amps, using transformers of nowadays - but with at least one exception... and to be honest it's slightly embarassing for me to point it out, because it's really not my intention with a current waiting time of almost 3 years, to pull the attention to one of my amp models.

RSP is building really great sounding amps, really outstanding sounding amps built with an impressive craftmanship, no doubt.

AFAIK he's using Hammond transformers, which technically regarded definitely are of a higher quality than the Dagnall or Drake TX's of the old 70' Marshall amps, but...

... inside these slightly inferior transformers is buried the secret of the British sound, the British dirt, which you can't get with transformers of current production anymore. It's that special kind and mix of even order and odd order harmonics coming out additional of these OT's when pushed hard or into saturation - and it's that special kind of sag of the PT, when playing beyond a certain volume level and then when you strung the strings hard, followed by a interesting decay while you hold the note and let it decay, let it skip into overtones.

This kind of sound with the legendary British dirt in it and the behaviour of the amp is almost impossible to recreate by building amps, using transformers of nowadays - but with at least one exception... and to be honest it's slightly embarassing for me to point it out, because it's really not my intention with a current waiting time of almost 3 years, to pull the attention to one of my amp models.
I don't know that anyone doubts the quality of your amps, but that wait time is pretty insane. Whenever (ifever) you get it down to a more manageable timeline, contact me, and I will order a single channel fire breathing dragon that burns the clothes off women and puts fear in the hearts of the coldest men.

2203/2204, you know what I mean baby
Yea & nay.
There are JCM-800 : 2203/2204/2205/2210/1987/1959 heads and all the different combo amps.
Plus there are several JCM-800 types of cabinets.
But yes i got you mang.

Last edited:

No secret that I love Mesa but some of the best LOUD amps I've ever heard were 70's Marshall's with Boss OD pedals. This guy would tear everyone's face off on a regular basis with his 70's JMP.

- but with at least one exception... and to be honest it's slightly embarassing for me to point it out, because it's really not my intention with a current waiting time of almost 3 years, to pull the attention to one of my amp models.
Safe to say based on that pic you shared in the Fortin thread that tranny's are not the part holding you back? You had a whole table of them. I always wondered why the old transformers of yester year were better? Better copper? Better iron ore? Or was it maybe slight imperfections that caused magic?

PS: You don't strike me as the type to get embarrassed so feel free to pull attention.

Safe to say based on that pic you shared in the Fortin thread that tranny's are not the part holding you back? You had a whole table of them. I always wondered why the old transformers of yester year were better? Better copper? Better iron ore? Or was it maybe slight imperfections that caused magic?

PS: You don't strike me as the type to get embarrassed so feel free to pull attention.
You are extremely active in every single Larry/Cameron posts, so don't say he doesn't pull your attention.
Maybe if he would sell an amp with cold solder joints and stiff upper mids you would leave him alone.

NICE BRUH!

Back