Best plexi that's not a plexi

Metro-plex. I'd say that David Bray builds a nice amp as well.

Germino - call the guy and chat him up on what you're looking for.
No-one does more faithful - and pristine work.
Owned a Germino headroom 100 before i got my 68 and 71 plexi's. The germino was very close to my 68.

These well known clones must be pretty good. Their owners don't like to part with them.

There's also the new Parks but they are pricey.

Earlier post got me revisiting Bray amps and holy crap do they sound good. On his sight we’re these vids of the Vic Johnson 50 watter and just glorious rock. These also stand for how I might feel about Polyphia…lol

Not even a huge Sammy fan but great rock cover of Depeche Mode

Those are great amps, I believe those amps were built by Ossie Ahsen before he went to 3Monkeys. Which model is on there ?

ah, i have a jose preamp pedal he built and its awesome. this is it, says 50w

313015741_5956215824429042_9055070468366358128_n.jpg

Honestly I couldn’t get rid of my Metroplex fast enough back in 2016. I guess it sounded fine for a recent made amp and has nice features/functionality/practicality aka I couldn’t care less lol, but sounded filtered/not full frequency & lacking life vs a real old Marshall. A classic example of comparing fresh squeezed oj to Tropicana tonally speaking. I remember liking the Germino I tried more, but never actually owned one, so couldn’t make the necessary comparisons to say too much on it

Last edited:
Original JTM-45s used 6V6 not KT66. Remember it was basically a modified fender bassman.

They’re badass tubes and play well with the Marshall sweetness crowd.
Bassman’s came with 5881’s typically I believe (which I like a lot, often more than 6L6GC’s). I believe the Marshall that used 6v6’s was the model 4001 Studio 15 from the ‘80’s, but didn’t seem like that amp was much of a hit

Last edited:
And just to clarify for anyone else reading, JTM45 and 45/100 are really their own sound compared to lead spec Plexis. I like them a lot for single coil guitars and vintage rock/blues, but they are a completely different vibe from a late 60s lead spec plexi. Could easily justify owning both, but one does not replace the other in the slightest. Very different sounds between the two
Yeah I like JTM45’s a lot too. Too bad they’re so expensive. I like that they have a bit more growl & richness to their tone. The ‘65 JTM45/100 I tried not too long ago was very punchy & big sounding, but I thought the regular 45 had better tone, so would rather have that

I owned a '69 Plexi. It was a cool experience but it's also very nerve wracking having to crank an amp that old and valuable to get the goods. I fried a couple resistors and finally a PT doing this. I sent it to Greg Germino twice to work on it (who was phenomenal btw). In the end, I decided that I'm a player and not a collector, and real deal plexis have gone into collector's pricing, so I sold it. If I wanted that sound again I would get a new 1959HW Marshall. The tone is 98% of the way there. They're incredibly well built, and the parts are off-the-shelf replaceable. I had to wait awhile to source an identical '69 replacement for my Dagnall transformer that blew. You can also modify them to your heart's desire and not hurt the resale value. I'd also be very happy with a Germino build.

Back