Have all the best guitar tones been created?

Tone Monster

I feel like the spectrum of guitar tones has been maximized. I can’t imagine a new sound becoming a thing. Thoughts?I

i dont know if its "new", but tim henson is the only dude lately i can say i have no clue how to get that tone. i know hes digital so who knows what they will come up with next

Tonaly i'd say yes.
However there's still room for creativity and craziness to compliment a great core tone.
Most of the new amps seem to be more loaded with cool features rather than being able to create tones nobody has ever heard before

I feel like the spectrum of guitar tones has been maximized. I can’t imagine a new sound becoming a thing. Thoughts?I
I don't know, I'd say that just means we have mental blocks up preventing us from seeing the next new thing. I'm not sure if many people saw the previous tones coming before it hit their stereos... Wasn't there something about someone saying guitar music was on the way out right before it blew up? I'd say we just need to be more creative, though perhaps a lot of the low-hanging fruit has already been claimed. That said, I still haven't found the particular flavor of tone that appeals to me, and I'd assume many amp modders feel the same. Maybe we'll get something cool from that. Though lots of 'em seem to be mostly focused on building a better mousetrap.

There are endless variations of the same basic tones that dumbass gear page dudes will spend all their money chasing and dumbass companies will still hype gear for them to chase. Find something decent to use and play your guitar so you get chops which will have more of an effect on your tone=simple living.

Hopefully I have offended a few gear page members with this post.

I mean...the term 'best' is very subjective. What sounds good to me might not be good for you..so...not yet I guess? Hahaha

I think we as musicians are always trying to experiment or chase different tones all the time..it's an endless cycle in my opinion.

I feel like some out there are trying to do newish sounds and others are just trying to rehash with features. I think the rehash with features always comes up short because an amp will be trying to do too many things and just not excel at any one thing. Modelers are better than these kinds of amps IMO.

Some however… like hermansson, Lichtlaerm new amp (from the very few clips), omega, carstens seem to be trying to do their own thing. Pretty refreshing! Now it doesn’t mean we’ll all like these new tones and companies but some of them are trying to do something unique which is cool.

I feel like some out there are trying to do newish sounds and others are just trying to rehash with features. I think the rehash with features always comes up short because an amp will be trying to do too many things and just not excel at any one thing. Modelers are better than these kinds of amps IMO.

Some however… like hermansson, Lichtlaerm new amp (from the very few clips), omega, carstens seem to be trying to do their own thing. Pretty refreshing! Now it doesn’t mean we’ll all like these new tones and companies but some of them are trying to do something unique which is cool.
Great post

i dont know if its "new", but tim henson is the only dude lately i can say i have no clue how to get that tone. i know hes digital so who knows what they will come up with next

These guys are like a digital modern metal 311 minus the reggae?

I think the first 2 albums of Polyphia were much more interesting than the newer stuff. Much more melodic for sure

As all the flavor of the month dudes chase their tails for the latest and greatest, I gotta believe some cats are brewing up a concoction with overlooked, written off equipment and a creative vision that if realized will turn the metal world upside down.

At least a guy can hope...

Last edited:
As all the flavor of the month dudes chase their tails for the latest and greatest, I gotta believe some cats are brewing up a concoction with overlooked, written off equipment and a creative vision that if realized will turn the metal world upside down.

At least a guy can hope...
I hope you're right. It would be nice for Led Zeppelin 'esqe RnR/metal band to do just that. Not in a Wolfmother/Greta Van Fleet way. A ground up new deal with old analog gear and low fi vide mistakes and all. Like early LZ . Crusty and off the cuff with their own tone. Not crisp and polished like everything else today.

I guess we do have Mastadon :dunno:

I think in the next 10-15 years there’ll be a lot more tones out there we’re not used to hearing, whether or not people will call them “new” or “good” is debatable, though.

I was dialing in some tones on my AxeFX the other night and got hit with an epiphany around the whole “modelers sound too perfect” complaint that pops up often. They are indeed capable of getting in that zone and it’s REALLY hard to stop yourself from getting to that point. Got some woofy rumble only when you palm mute around the 3rd fret? Dial it out. A little fizziness on the top driving you nuts? Dial it out. Recto isn’t tight enough? Tweak it until it is.

And then your starting base is a tone you’d expect to hear on a mastered, professional album…..that tone is going to go through it’s own mastering process and then it’s even further away from an actual amp’s sound and no longer sounds “realistic”. Mix that in with a whole slew of newer players that don’t give a fuck about tones of yesteryears and hate all the music made with it, along with the bands/people known for these classic tones all dying off,

Personally, I’ve got no interest in trying to reinvent the wheel. For me, a tone is only as good as it’s role as a supporting piece of the puzzle allows it to be.

I think in the next 10-15 years there’ll be a lot more tones out there we’re not used to hearing, whether or not people will call them “new” or “good” is debatable, though.

I was dialing in some tones on my AxeFX the other night and got hit with an epiphany around the whole “modelers sound too perfect” complaint that pops up often. They are indeed capable of getting in that zone and it’s REALLY hard to stop yourself from getting to that point. Got some woofy rumble only when you palm mute around the 3rd fret? Dial it out. A little fizziness on the top driving you nuts? Dial it out. Recto isn’t tight enough? Tweak it until it is.

And then your starting base is a tone you’d expect to hear on a mastered, professional album…..that tone is going to go through it’s own mastering process and then it’s even further away from an actual amp’s sound and no longer sounds “realistic”. Mix that in with a whole slew of newer players that don’t give a fuck about tones of yesteryears and hate all the music made with it, along with the bands/people known for these classic tones all dying off,

Personally, I’ve got no interest in trying to reinvent the wheel. For me, a tone is only as good as it’s role as a supporting piece of the puzzle allows it to be.
excellent. i never had more control than with my axe fx but it’s the dynamic and unpredictable behavior of a tube amp that captures my interest and inspires me more.
it would be awesome to have an amp with killer clean to very liw gain tone, endless sustain and legato touch capabilities without paying $200k for a dumble or needing a weird sounding sustainer pickup.

Back