4x12 sound in 1x12 ?

I had a pair of OG Mesa Thieles with the EVs and foolishly sold them. The EVs did need quite a push in order to show what they were capable of. I’d love to hear how an M65 Cream would sound in a true Mesa Thiele cab.

FWIW - I have a Tonemaster Thiele 2x12 - horizontal with the Thiele port along the bottom. Currently loaded with an M65 Cream and a Marshall branded G12 Vintage and it is hands down the best sounding cab I have ever owned or played through.

I am a appartment player, and I don't have the space to have a 4x12 cab.
Can I hope to get a tone with a 1x12 similar to a 1960 cab with Greenbacks ? Of course, I don't expect to get the same results, as I also play at low volume.
I currently have an open back 1x12 with a G12M-25.
For more punch, I thought about a G12M-65 and keeping my open back cab (for more diffusion in the room). I've read that the Celestion G12M-65 was a high power Greenback with a bit more low et tighter.
Have a look at Marshall Origin combo, I have the 50W (head and combo). The power scaling works great, you can get JTM to Plexi like tones at a good price, the 20W is even cheaper though I haven't tried one. I have a 1959HW to compare it with, and for the price it is very good IMO.

The Origin Combo is closed back cab.

ported 1x12 will get closest save a real detuned 1x12, but those are the size of a 4x12.
Came here to say this. A "detuned" 1x12 can go head to head with a 4x12 from what I've heard, but the size advantage kinda goes away. But!! The dimensions have a lot of room to play with for the detuned format. @Cless357, what sort of space constraints are we looking at? If it's just the footprint, and height isn't much of an issue, you could make a detuned 1x12 that's just fairly long and stands vertically. So long as you have enough baffle surface area, depth, and a big enough hole, it should turn out fine. Assuming you don't make any of the dimensions the same (resonances).

Example detuned 1x12 (though the vent is a little undersized relative to the standard format:)

honestly I would probably get some decent monitors and IRs if space/noise are both an issue, or if it's just space/footprint

If SPLs aren't the issue, just use a 4x12, because the 1x12 and 2x12 options that really get close to a 4x12 (bogner OS 2x12, thiele cab, detuned) aren't gonna be much smaller than a 4x12 anyways.

Actually, another option I've heard about is the barefaced cabs. Never tried them myself, but supposedly they have fancy physics inside.

Can I hope to get a tone with a 1x12 similar to a 1960 cab with Greenbacks ? Of course, I don't expect to get the same results,
You can hope, it really just comes down to your definition of 'similar'.

Yes, with the same speaker a quality 1x12 will be in a kinda similar tonal realm as a 4x12. For all the obvious reasons, it won't compete on many other levels as already mentioned. Just try one out - if it sounds good, it is good.

Hi

Im using a Diezel Herbert and a Mesa Mark V with a very old Engl 1x12 V30. I sold my 4x12 and the 2x12 simply because the tone from 1 speaker in a 1x12 cab on low volume was much better than the rest. When playing on ''volume'' nothing will beat a bigger beast but at low volumes you can't go wrong with a 1x12, at atleast to my taste.

barefaced cabs for me loaded with celestion 90 watt creambacks.

having played bogner cubes, mesa thiele, pacific woodworks, had hughes ketner ported widebodys, currently orange and evh 1x12s…

nothing replicates a 4x12. all that wood provides a ton of cabinet resonance, 4 speakers together pushes a lot of air, the size gives you much more spread of the sound, etc. its just not gunna happen with a smaller cab. thats not to say that one of mesas 3/4th closed back, widebody, or theiles aren't going to give you a tone that you're happy with, its just not going to be like a 4x12. even at whisper volumes, that quad box sounds a million times better than a combo or a 1x12.

I have quite a few 1x12’s. I run stereo and WDW rigs in a home setting so they make the most sense to me. Of the 1x12’s I own, the Mesa wide body 3/4 back cabs have the most thump and sound closest to a 4x12 to me.
IMG_3850.jpeg

You will never get a 1x12 to sound like a 4x12. The best you can do is find a 1x12 with large dimensions, and at least 14" depth. So much of the cabinet sound is about the internal size. Do not even bother with a thiele cabinet if you plan on using a mic in front of it, sitting in a room is fine. I don't know why people always recommend those pieces of shit typically, but if you're a bedroom only guy, it might work.

Probably won't be similar to a 4x12, but I have a custom 2x12 oversized-widebody cab with the speakers in diagonal position, close cab and it sounds pretty huge. I live in an apartment as well so size is quite a bit of an issue.

Anyway, I will stick with my current 1x12.
For the moment, no need to look for a more complicated solution. I am just an amateur player in a bedroom

Anyway, I will stick with my current 1x12.
For the moment, no need to look for a more complicated solution. I am just an amateur player in a bedroom
Let me tell you this though, have you ever played a stereo setup? I run two 1x12s, separated by several feet and at low volume, and it sounds killer. If you want dispersion and a phenomenal tone, give it a try. I run stereo out of my Keeley Halo and BOSS 3000SDE EVH and sounds massive.

Do you have two amps?

Let me tell you this though, have you ever played a stereo setup? I run two 1x12s, separated by several feet and at low volume, and it sounds killer. If you want dispersion and a phenomenal tone, give it a try. I run stereo out of my Keeley Halo and BOSS 3000SDE EVH and sounds massive.

Do you have two amps?
Second this. Even if you only have one amp, running two cabs separated by some distance (either side of the room?) with yourself smack dab in the middle sounds and feels great. I run a mono setup with a cab on each side of the stage for this reason. Feels much better than a stack just on your side IMO.

Last edited:
Back