4x12 sound in 1x12 ?

It's crazy how bad the 1x12 and 2x12 sound in comparison in those demos.
The 4 speakers in its serial/parallel wiring do something to the impedance curve the amplifier sees.
I think you will get closer with IRs and/or reactive loads than just a simple 1x12.

My 1x12s rig . Mojotone Canyon cabs w/Celestion H75 Creambacks , Blackstar Amped 1, Soldano SLO and AMT S1 pedals for my gainy tones . I think it sounds killer
IMG_2187.jpeg

It's crazy how bad the 1x12 and 2x12 sound in comparison in those demos.
The 4 speakers in its serial/parallel wiring do something to the impedance curve the amplifier sees.
I think you will get closer with IRs and/or reactive loads than just a simple 1x12.
It’s like running two series 2x12’s together. That seems more natural than two parallel 2x12’s with a series cable. High volume seems to be where the rubber meets the road between the two.
Random drug tests put an end to all that years ago :giggle:
Then balanced endocannabinol metabolism. 😂

4x12's rule no doubt. I've had the same two for almost 40 years. I also used a DIY Bassman 1x12 combo a lot for band practice in a very loud band with success. The other guitarist had a full stack and a rack. SVT for bass and 24" double bass and power toms on drums. We would laugh at how well it kept up. The clean parts were a little hairy but it was a lot easier to carry. We had a permanent space for several years but had to gypsy jam for the last couple of years that the band lasted. There is no way these guys would have allowed it if it didn't sound proper.

Whats about TL806 / Mesa Thiele? It's 1x12", but more complicated construction. Huge and open sound.

Whats about TL806 / Mesa Thiele? It's 1x12", but more complicated construction. Huge and open sound.
I have owned a few of them. No where near a 4x12 sound. It has less punch than a sealed cab. It does produce more bass than most 1x12 cabs. But nothing like a 2x12 or 4x12. Even with a EVM12L it won't keep up with most 4x12 cabs in dB's or the bigger sound of the larger cabs.

It's a excellent cab. Only 1x12 I like better are the Orange 1x12 cabs.

A 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 cab all have unique sounds. None of them replace the others.

I think people in this topic are making a mistake of equating volume for sound. A 112 can produce the freqs a 412 can, just not as loud.
It's a good thing if you're recording in a small spot..

Back