Anyone Making Rack Preamps?

echorectifier

Just as the title says really. I’m in the market for a rack preamp for a more portable setup i’m putting together, as i’m moving countries soon and can’t bring any of my heads or cabinets with me. I’ve also just gotten an Eventide H90, which i have absolutely fallen in love with and is becoming the centrepiece of my rig. I’m currently using it in the fx loop of my amp head, which is why I’d like to find a suitable rackmount preamp to go along with.

I’m looking for something with either one clean channel (preferably marshall/hiwatt/vox/orange based), or two channels, clean/dirty. Not really any more channels or options than that.

Herein lies my predicament. I’d rather not use the Synergy stuff as it’s out of my price range, and i’m not super keen on using anything older as i would be using this preamp at gigs and need something sturdy. I’m aware of Myasnikov, and while i’d love to get one of his preamps, Australia (where I currently live) has bans on exports/imports from Russia, so i’d have to buy one of his preamps and then wait until I move to use it, and i’d like to get something in the meantime.

Does anyone know of a company or person who’s making a rackmount preamp? Could be custom or a regular product, doesn’t bother me.

I know you mentioned it, but I think the Synergy Syn-2 is probably the best option these days. There just aren't that many tube preamps being made these days, and most of the ones that are, are even more expensive than the Synergy. It is also a great way to customize exactly what you want.

If you only need 2 channels, you could just do the Syn-1. The Syn-1 and a H90 would be a pretty compact rig.

Could probably use a mail forwarder to grab a Myasnikov unit. Other guys here will know but even with our US sanctions I think he’s still able to get them through.

Could probably use a mail forwarder to grab a Myasnikov unit. Other guys here will know but even with our US sanctions I think he’s still able to get them through.
Looks like I gotta do my research, as he’s the one i’ve looked at the most.

I know you mentioned it, but I think the Synergy Syn-2 is probably the best option these days. There just aren't that many tube preamps being made these days, and most of the ones that are, are even more expensive than the Synergy. It is also a great way to customize exactly what you want.

If you only need 2 channels, you could just do the Syn-1. The Syn-1 and a H90 would be a pretty compact rig.
It’d certainly be bonus if I could do the Syn-2, but even second hand, just a bit out of my price range. Maybe I should do some more digging around.

Hopefully he’s doing well as still making stuff as I haven’t seen much in the past year. Also he has his new contact info on instagram fyi.
I actually did email him recently and that’s how I found out he can’t ship to Australia. The sanctions are probably why there hasn’t been much action on his end recently.

Have you considered the Wilcox DCP-2 ?
Recreation of the infamous Langner DCP-1, and built by one of our RT members.

Here is a thread, that builder T Wilcox, posted last week.
Check out the video in the thread, and see if it is something you might like:
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/sold-wilcox-dcp-2-preamp.293564/
If I could find one i’d definitely give it a go, there’s a lot going on but it’s better to have options than to not sometimes.
Edit: the more I read about it the more I do want it lollol, so we’ll see.

I actually did email him recently and that’s how I found out he can’t ship to Australia. The sanctions are probably why there hasn’t been much action on his end recently.
this must be a new thing.

I'm in Australia and had no issues getting my 2 amps from him, this was about 3 years ago though

You are in Australia? Hit up Sirius Amplification. Alex is always doing some interesting projects. He sent me one clip where he had a 2 channel preamp that was a mix of uberschall and slo.

Dude started building around the time I started(just a couple years) but he has just learned a ton and has been applying it quite successfully. I'm working on two amp builds from pcb's he designed.

You are in Australia? Hit up Sirius Amplification. Alex is always doing some interesting projects. He sent me one clip where he had a 2 channel preamp that was a mix of uberschall and slo.

Dude started building around the time I started(just a couple years) but he has just learned a ton and has been applying it quite successfully. I'm working on two amp builds from pcb's he designed.
I’ll definitely be checking that out, thank you for the info!
Also great to hear he’s familiar with Uberschalls and SLOs as they’re some of my favourite high gain circuits.

I’ll definitely be checking that out, thank you for the info!
Also great to hear he’s familiar with Uberschalls and SLOs as they’re some of my favourite high gain circuits.
Check out inTheBlues YouTube channel. He has a demo of his Slo clone and a demo of a dirty shirly type combo they did

Back