Pedals based on SD-1?

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive 2V2 and Fulldrive 3.
They are pretty versatile. Both have a separate boost and several clipping options. I really like the COMP-CUT mode, opamp.

All the Fulldrive pedals are based on the SD-1.

Griff all the way. I know it seems like I’m attached to his ballsack but his stuff is that good. Wayne how many of your builds have I had? 5?
Shit ... I don't know ... at least .... there's a handful of guys on here that are up to 4 or 5 of my pedals ....

Thing is ..... with the SD-1 ... for me anyway .... it's a super simple circuit ..... that just works .... the circuit is small ..... meaning there isn't a whole lot to mod in it ... you can swap out IC's ... you can change the clipping diodes .... there's a few more tricks ....

I had this on a breadboard not to long ago .... and I had a rotary switch with different caps to adjust the frequencies being clipped .... and another rotary switch with 5 different diodes sets ( asymmetrical and symmetrical options ) ..... and even then ..... I just kept coming back to the stock version
some of the clipping options were cool though ..... it surprised me how good the LED's mixed with Mosfets sounded ....

but point being ...... I just found it best to leave it alone ... and just upgrade the parts being used ... along with making sure there is a substantial ground plane on the PCB to keep things as quiet as I can .... and making it true bypass helps a ton also

I love my Wylde Overdrive. It's a bit tighter and more aggressive, but that's subtle. It's almost 1:1 an SD-1 with a cool graphic and true bypass.

But it is actually noisier than an SD-1.

Out of all the Overdrives i've used my old Maxon OD808 is the one that I always go back to, it's just the perfect sounding boost IMO. I've got a SD-1 as well, but I find it shaves off a little too much low end for my tastes... still a good pedal though.

I find the SD-1 already kinda noisy, wouldn't want a pedal that was noisier than that.
Noise gate takes care of it no problem in my case. But yeah. It is noisy.

I do agree that it does shave off more low-end than a Tube Screamer. But that's kind of its charm. It works well with a Recto for that reason. Depending on the amp and the guitar, a TS808 or OD808 can sometimes feel kinda blunt by comparison, like a JB with a Recto or a JB with an 800, IME. Or when the amp is too low-middy and maybe too "creamy" slightly stuffy like a Soldano.

Last edited:
Agreed on the Griffin. My Waza SD-1 stays right beside it, but never gets engaged. I just like what the Boss buffer does to my tone.

IMG_8781.jpeg

Wayne and I spoke.

We have agreed to work together on a prototype feature I use. I’ll design and prototype. We will share ownership of the mod with credits. We both are nuts busy so it’s the best solution forward.

For those that think the pedal is too noisy I’ll also look into why and attempt to resolve that too.

Stay tuned 👍

As others have said, many of the MXR Overdrive pedals are based on the SD-1 design. The ZW, the GT-OD, the M77, etc....

I dig the Wampler Triumph. True Bypass, has a switch that goes between the Bad Monkey circuit and the SD-1, good EQ, and solid price for a nice pedal.

I also like the MXR GT-OD/ZW (they're the same pedal, with a DIP switch on the board that changes one resistor) and the Custom Modified OD.

Back