Anyone Use Fuzz with Metal/Thrash Guitar Tones?

dead-pan

Haven't been a fuzz player but recently picked up Chase Tone Fuzz Fella and am surprised at my first test with it and a Silver Jubilee.

It can get nasty but still kind of tight tone.

Anyone else get into that nasty tone? What fuzz pedals do you like?

Jim Martin used a fuzz face with his Marshalls back in the day…at least I think I read that in guitar world when they got popular during the epic heyday.

I’m all about that nasty, chunky grind. I don’t think a fuzz is ideal for thrash, but I bet you could come up with something cool and different. I’ve been loving my HM-2w for black-death and it’s basically a fuzz. Try adding a TS or the like to tighten it up a bit.

I’m all about that nasty, chunky grind. I don’t think a fuzz is ideal for thrash, but I bet you could come up with something cool and different. I’ve been loving my HM-2w for black-death and it’s basically a fuzz. Try adding a TS or the like to tighten it up a bit.
Was boosting the Japanese HM-2 with an Angry Driver here:

A clip of the Fuzz Fella and the Jubilee:

i have one of these that does a pretty cool gnarly kind of thing, dont think id use it for thrash but slower stuff or maybe for a layer track for thickness its definitely cool.

iu

heres a clip

https://app.box.com/embed/s/e1dnj7d1xqcw9o8sozwrtnhvpup88uj7

I have a DAM Meathead that i bought from a guy in the Slomatics that was used on the Conan Vs. Slomatics album. It was custom made 1 of 5 for extreme lower tunings. Best pedal I've ever used. Some dickhead spilled beer into my pedal bag years ago and it hasn't worked right since, and I've sent off to get repaired about 5 different times. Slightly OT but does anyone know someone that could fix one of these? There's rare components in it.

Anyway, that pedal could do mid overdrive to tight distortion to full out doom fuzz onslaught. Very clear and responsive. They go between $600 and $1200 now and DAM is out of business.

I’m a big fuzz fan, but for slower stuff that’s mostly powerchords for growl. My favorite are the Foxx tone machine, ‘90’s Russian Big Muff and Keeley Fuzz Bender. I also really like my Fuzz Imp Sender, ‘70’s Maxon Distortion Booster, ‘60’s Vox Distortion Booster and ‘70’s DeArmond Square Wave

I’ve been real happy with a Catalinbread Karma Sutre germanium. I use it with a Gibson’s and it can be dialed to be a great boost for heavy tones that are rough around the edges. You can totally play thrash or faster riffing stuff with it.

I have a DAM Meathead that i bought from a guy in the Slomatics that was used on the Conan Vs. Slomatics album. It was custom made 1 of 5 for extreme lower tunings. Best pedal I've ever used. Some dickhead spilled beer into my pedal bag years ago and it hasn't worked right since, and I've sent off to get repaired about 5 different times. Slightly OT but does anyone know someone that could fix one of these? There's rare components in it.

Anyway, that pedal could do mid overdrive to tight distortion to full out doom fuzz onslaught. Very clear and responsive. They go between $600 and $1200 now and DAM is out of business.
DAM is not out of business, the Captain still build pedals, you should reach out to him.

you weren't sending it to the right guy .......

I don't know about thrash ...... but I had a customer recently tell me the Anubis was straight up " Fu Manchu " right out of the box .....

it's a insanely modded Big Muff with a built in boost ...

1707920941815.jpeg

Like Griff alluded to, unless they used a tone vital, NOS component that can no longer be found it likely can be brought back to life with its original sound.

Like Griff alluded to, unless they used a tone vital, NOS component that can no longer be found it likely can be brought back to life with its original sound.
My tech that looked at it said theres some rare NOS transistor in it. But that's just going off of what he told me, I have no idea what brand it is etc or if theres more than one.

The Meathead is a Fuzzface variant I think .... I'm not a Fuzz expert ... but I've built several Fuzzface and ToneBender clones ....

Smallbear still sells " Fuzzface " and " Bender " NOS Germanium transistors sets .... they are expensive though ..... 30-40 per set

but if it had something rare in it like a red dot NKT275 etc ....... you will have a real hard time replacing those trannies

Back