Anyone using Tonex to capture their rigs?

Soundstorm

Thinking about plopping down the $200 (raised their price?) for Tonex so I can take my rig on the road. Any experience with it here? The captures sound pretty solid after some tweaking (usually needs added gain and presence) on some YouTube clips I’ve been checking out.

Plugins and modelers so far just aren’t really doing it for me. They sound decent when recording with them, but just playing them standalone isn’t very inspiring like playing my amps at home. I’ve tried the QC and Fractal units, but I’m still searching for a solution.

Thinking about plopping down the $200 (raised their price?) for Tonex so I can take my rig on the road. Any experience with it here? The captures sound pretty solid after some tweaking (usually needs added gain and presence) on some YouTube clips I’ve been checking out.

Plugins and modelers so far just aren’t really doing it for me. They sound decent when recording with them, but just playing them standalone isn’t very inspiring like playing my amps at home. I’ve tried the QC and Fractal units, but I’m still searching for a solution.
I am not doing any captures. But have a ToneX pedal.

Tried most of the others. None of them are like the experience of a real tube amp.
Just a different tool. Like you mentioned. Recording or headphones.

It has been months since the last time I plugged it in. I use my amps.

Tried NAM (neural amp modeler)? For the road? …seems like kemper is the usual go to
I tried NAM but it's an extremely convoluted non user friendly open source software IMHO. I'd rather not have to dick around with all of that. Options are also very limited. But according to some of the null tests its the best for profiling amps, with the Tonex software an extremely close second behind it.

For the record, this would be the Tonex software only. Not interested in another piece of hardware to travel around with like a Kemper toaster, and iirc the new Kemper floor model can't make profiles. So I would be doing the capturing through my Apogee interface at my studio and the Tonex software. Then all I'll need to travel with is a laptop, guitar, and my Apogee Boom interface.

So I'm mainly just curious if anyone's had good luck with capturing high gain profiles with it. As it seems high gain is what trips these profilers up the most.

The fractal stuff is the best of the bunch IMO. If that doesn’t scratch it, might be out of luck… have you tried third party irs at all? Can be a huge difference maker.

I tried NAM but it's an extremely convoluted non user friendly open source software IMHO. I'd rather not have to dick around with all of that. Options are also very limited. But according to some of the null tests its the best for profiling amps, with the Tonex software an extremely close second behind it.
It took me a second to figure out the capture, but the plugin interface is very simple once you get your profiles. If you already have a reamp box it's worth a shot. I can walk you through it.

BTW don’t bother installing the capture software, you can use the Google Colab setup. The main difficulty is just getting a good reamp output file. If you already know how to do that it takes just a couple minutes to upload it for training, which can take a half hour or so, depending.

It took me a second to figure out the capture, but the plugin interface is very simple once you get your profiles. If you already have a reamp box it's worth a shot. I can walk you through it.
Thanks, might have to take you up on that. I didn't give it much of an audition as even the process of downloading and installing it was a PITA. Then once I read the process for creating captures I was done with it.

Thanks, might have to take you up on that. I didn't give it much of an audition as even the process of downloading and installing it was a PITA. Then once I read the process for creating captures I was done with it.
I get it. Somehow it seems way more complicated than it is. But like I said, if you already know how to reamp, it’s just a matter of reamping a 3 minute file, uploading to Google, waiting a bit, and then selecting the output profile in the VST, which is easy to install.

Nice! Is that the VH4, or is that someone else's capture?

From watching a few Youtube demos, it sounds like the Tonex capture always comes out with less gain and presence than the real amp. Have you found this to be the same? I know they've had a couple big updates over the last year so I was hoping maybe they addressed this.

Nice! Is that the VH4, or is that someone else's capture?

From watching a few Youtube demos, it sounds like the Tonex capture always comes out with less gain and presence than the real amp. Have you found this to be the same? I know they've had a couple big updates over the last year so I was hoping maybe they addressed this.
VH4 layered with captures of a 800 and a sound city 100. I’ve noticed the gain thing but it depends on how much input gain I used.

Tonocracy has just gone free, and has some capture tech built into it. It also supports NAM I believe. So might be a more user friendly way to capture your own amps?? You'd need to add an effects package though, because it doesn't really have good effects.

I have a range of ToneX captures here: https://www.tone.net/tonex/users/Drew_TNBD

I like ToneX. I do tend to need to bump the gain and treble and presence a bit.

N
Tonocracy has just gone free, and has some capture tech built into it. It also supports NAM I believe. So might be a more user friendly way to capture your own amps?? You'd need to add an effects package though, because it doesn't really have good effects.

I have a range of ToneX captures here: https://www.tone.net/tonex/users/Drew_TNBD

I like ToneX. I do tend to need to bump the gain and treble and presence a bit.
Not familiar with Tonocracy but I’ll definitely check it out, thanks

Back