Did you ever play all of your gear in a day and still hate your tone?

Of course! Some days EVERYTHING sounds bad, even stuff you know sounds good. It's just a day-to-day thing that happens with our ears/brains. Take a day off tomorrow, plug in to a "known good" amp on Friday and you'll rebound.

It happens to all of us I assure you. The worst is when you run into a combination of gear that sounds incredible and it’s so inspiring to play, you come back the next day with the same combo and the magic is gone. That shit pisses me off and trips me the fuck out at the same time. It’s fascinating

No.
Granted, I’ve been been playing for 44 years, as of last month, so, I sound how I’m gonna sound, regardless of the gear I play through.

I actually share that feeling about my playing, some days it's effortless, some days it's hard work. But I never hate my tone, always the contrary. Just playing a distorted D, A, and then E chord makes me smile every time.

So I guess if you don't already own one: Get a Diezel and start being happy 😁

giphy.gif

For sure. On some days I hear treble way more than average, that can account for all those times I wasn’t satisfied with what was going on with gear. Once I started mixing I learned after butchering a few mixes to come back the next day because it really fucks with the way I hear everything when i listen in detail.

I’d love to get my hearing checked on these different days to see what the difference is, or if it continuously changes. If I could translate that to an EQ to put in a plug-in, I can work in the studio without ever worrying about it.

Reactions: PDC
Never. Even when I had shit gear and tone(I'm talking a cheap Rhodes copy guitar and a Gorilla amp)I still enjoyed myself like a 'tard who just found his penis. That being said, I have been profoundly disappointed with some of my amp acquisition, but there are so many others lying around that are instant satisfaction in a box. But I know for a fact that I'm definitely much more easy to satisfy than many here are. I don't need a boost or a graphic in the loop to super tweak a tone out of my favorite amps. I just plug in and go.

That happens way less than it used to. But now I wake up some days and feel like my hands have completely forgotten everything. It's like starting over, wtf!

I dunno, I have days where some of my gear sounds worse than I remember but I never hate the way all of my gear sounds. In my early days I used to really struggle, but then I took the time to really try out my cab in different locations in my room, experiment with different cabs/speakers, and different listening positions where I play from. Now that I have a couple 4x12's that I love (anything smaller is bound to be disappointing) and have them in the best positions in my studio, I always find my tones at least mediocre but usually awesome and inspiring. I also built acoustic panels for my studio which has helped with reflections.

Sometimes I see videos of people in their unfinished basements with concrete floors and even walls, and it's no wonder it sounds like shit! Take the time to get these types of details worked out or at least improved and it makes all the difference (y)

Back