Accidentally plugged in one amp output into another amp output. How bad did I screw up?

John Shur has a story about Reb Beach running an amp with no load, di only on tour for a long time. I think it takes a while esp with matched tubes.
A friend of mine blew the OT in his Orange Thunderverb almost immediately within the seconds it took him to realize the cab wasn’t plugged in.

I accidentally did this with two tube amps. Heard a noise from a transformer and stopped playing and figured it out. No permanent damage.

Getting older, I now have a piece of painters tape over my amps' on and standby switches that says, "Check the speakers!" for amps that I swap in and out or change the cab.... to remind myself and avoid no load outcomes.

A friend of mine blew the OT in his Orange Thunderverb almost immediately within the seconds it took him to realize the cab wasn’t plugged

Man that just seems like such poor design. Why do they even make amps like this? Is there no fail safe that can be incorporated in the OT or something? I don't know anything about amps btw, clearly lol.

A friend of mine blew the OT in his Orange Thunderverb almost immediately within the seconds it took him to realize the cab wasn’t plugged in.
Hmm I wonder if that’s an amp design thing, transformer thing, or luck. Seems uncharacteristic but I know Marshall’s.

that OT was ready to go for some other reason

that should not happen in any non-shit circuit with any half decent components
I’m not sure how he had it set up, but it’s worth noting that the Thunderverbs have an onboard attenuator and he might’ve had the MV cranked.

Back