Stereo loadbox rig for headphone use

BelfastGuy82

All I really want is a simple stereo rig, so I can sit on the sofa with my headphones on, and play with stereo delay and reverb. (and I'm not willing to buy a modeller to achieve that)

I learned last night about the Fryette PLIR, which not only has a headphone out, but a headphone effects loop. That would suit my needs, provided I feel the quality is high enough when I play through the unit.

But in the even that my choice of loadbox turns out to be the Suhr RLIR, things get slightly more complicated. The only way to enjoy that unit with stereo reverb and delay, as far as I can see, is to come mono out of the RLIR into a delay pedal, then of course, stereo out into a stereo reverb pedal, then stereo out of said reverb pedal into a headphone amp to amplify the line level (?) signal, and then to my headphones...

So the actual question is, is there anything wrong with amplifying the output of a stereo reverb pedal? Would it sound weird for any reason?

Delay and reverb after the 'cab' seems weird of course, but, if you were to go straight to your interface after your load box and then apply delay and reverb in your DAW, that seems to be the same signal chain to me. (minus the amplification of the reverb) So maybe it's not so weird. People do it every day in a DAW context.

Obviously I just want confirmation that it's OK before I spend any money.

There's nothing at all weird about delay and reverb being after the cab, it's standard practice in a studio.

For this exact purpose I use the Suhr RL (non-IR version) with the Boss IR-200. The IR-200 has a stereo effects loop and a headphone jack. It's a very clean setup, because everything goes through the IR-200, and it has a number of extra features and options: mix controls for the loop, parametric and graphic EQs, stereo IRs, reverb, even aux in so you can play to backing tracks.

You can spend a few thousand and get a power station and a palmer speaker simulator and a nice set of headphones.

I used the Fryette Valvulator GP/DI which is close to the Fryette PLIR. H90 in the loop with headphones, worked pretty well.

That's an expensive option IMO, more than many modelers by the time your done.

Mooer Prime S1, US $179 on Amazon; I got the Prime P2 before I knew about the S1, they run the same software just different from factors. I got the P2 for US $62 from aliexpress.

For the price they sound much better than they should, also many of the amp models are responsive to pick attack which was a surprise given the price.

Do NOT let the factory presets dissuade you, they're not great; make your own patches from scratch starting with amp and cab; you can also put up to 5 of your own IRs into the S1 or P2, not the P1.

The S1 and P1 have a dedicated headphone out; both have stereo main outs, but the P2 needs a TRS to dual TS splitter.

I like the S1 form factor for playing, but the P2 is more portable; I also have the external bluetooth footswitch, F4, that I got with my P1 and works with the P2. When I first got the P1 and F4, I posted that Mooer should put it all in the footswitch, they must have heard me, and made the S1!

The only thing missing from the S1 (and F4) IMO is an input for an external expression pedal.

Worth a look IMO.

I’m a big fan of the UA Ox. Sounds amazing through monitors and headphones. Lots of options on the unit and the mic’s/cabs they modelled are stellar!

Personally I'd go with a good IR loader on your computer, fed from any load box you like. Maximum flexibility.

I'm currently using one of the York IR packs with a stereo room capture (fed from a Suhr RL) and, honestly, it's the closest I've ever felt to playing with a cabinet in the room. Sounds amazing. Plus you can use any stereo effects you like through your DAW.

Personally I'd go with a good IR loader on your computer, fed from any load box you like. Maximum flexibility.

I'm currently using one of the York IR packs with a stereo room capture (fed from a Suhr RL) and, honestly, it's the closest I've ever felt to playing with a cabinet in the room. Sounds amazing. Plus you can use any stereo effects you like through your DAW.
The whole point for me is to not have to turn the computer and interface on and load up Cubase.

I've drawn up plans to build a plywood cabinet with wheels on it that will sit across the room from me, then, when I want to play, I just wheel it over to the couch and I can sit back and play.

I don't want any screens on unless I decide to record something.

That's an expensive option IMO, more than many modelers by the time your done.

Mooer Prime S1, US $179 on Amazon; I got the Prime P2 before I knew about the S1, they run the same software just different from factors. I got the P2 for US $62 from aliexpress.

For the price they sound much better than they should, also many of the amp models are responsive to pick attack which was a surprise given the price.

Do NOT let the factory presets dissuade you, they're not great; make your own patches from scratch starting with amp and cab; you can also put up to 5 of your own IRs into the S1 or P2, not the P1.

The S1 and P1 have a dedicated headphone out; both have stereo main outs, but the P2 needs a TRS to dual TS splitter.

I like the S1 form factor for playing, but the P2 is more portable; I also have the external bluetooth footswitch, F4, that I got with my P1 and works with the P2. When I first got the P1 and F4, I posted that Mooer should put it all in the footswitch, they must have heard me, and made the S1!

The only thing missing from the S1 (and F4) IMO is an input for an external expression pedal.

Worth a look IMO.
Thanks for the suggestions, but even if a person is willing to pay the extra for a GE300, the sound is still inferior to any amp plugged in to any loadbox.

If you watch a series of YouTube videos on the various modellers, and then you watch a video of a real amp into a loadbox, it should be instantly apparent the differnce in quality / realism. That's what I did yesterday because of your suggestions, and it just reaffirmed my decision to avoid modellers.

Reactions: rsm
The whole point for me is to not have to turn the computer and interface on and load up Cubase.

I've drawn up plans to build a plywood cabinet with wheels on it that will sit across the room from me, then, when I want to play, I just wheel it over to the couch and I can sit back and play.

I don't want any screens on unless I decide to record something.
Fair enough. Fwiw, this was my solution to that problem. My load box and interface are on a little shelf by my amps, and I have an old laptop that's always on, running Reaper. (Most of the time the screen is closed but it's still powered on.) If I want to play on the couch, I just need to run a long cord for the headphones from from my interface. I can run longer IRs + stereo this way.

Just buy a Helix and be done with it. The tiny one.
I've watched 6 million videos on modellers and loadboxes, as I'm sure many of us have.

And whilst some people, like Clint Curtis, can make a Helix sound decent in a mix, it just doesn't sound real in solo.

Solo will be the context in which I'll usually be playing and enjoying my proposed rig, so, no Helix for me.

Back