Pickup mag swap suggestions

I’ve been trying to find the perfect bridge pickup for my Dean razorback. Don’t love the dime bucker. Have a Duncan custom shop Frankie in my stealth and I love that but want something different. I just bought a Duncan RTM and it’s ok but not speaking to me. Lacking something. Seems too compressed and not enough low end. I’ve got a jb laying around that was gonna throw in but then I thought what about swapping those mags? Wonder how the rtm would fare with an a5 and the jb with an a2? I’ve also got a super D from the early 2000’s which I’m pretty sure has ceramic mags

I really like the RTM and JB as they are but you might want try a rough cast A5 in the JB. That’s another one I really like , smooths out the highs a bit but but keeps the JB vibe. I actually prefer the lack of low end the JB and RTM have so I’m no help there

You mentioned the Custom Shop Frankie. I have one in a Fender one-hum superstrat. I found it too compressed and bloated/blurred in the low mids.

Put in an A3 and it was a big improvement. Then went with a degaussed A5 and improved it yet again to my ears. Of the 17 pickups I’ve had in there, it is my favorite by a good margin. I’ve got a single 550k volume on it with no tone pot.

Kind of a pain in the ass to swap pickups/magnets but magnet selection makes a pretty drastic difference. For example, look how different Duncan’s Custom Custom, Custom 5, and Custom sound……all the same wind.

But to answer your question, I would start with a RC A5. Then try a degaussed A5 if you find that “too” much.

always keep your floorplates pointed towards your midline. That way during a tactical or emergency reload the mag orientation is always proper. You never want to be loading a mag backwards in an emergency....ohh wait-wrong mags....wrong forum....

Get a Duncan TB-5 (SH-5) Custom and put an Alnico 5 magnet in that pickup and thank me later ;)
Nope, does not sound like a Custom 5 at all. More mids but less aggressive as a JB

Back