EVH Wolfgang pickups - whaddya think of 'em?

JohnnyGtar

EVH Wolfgang pickups - whaddya think of 'em? Looking for opinions on American and import versions, so whichever ones you have, please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

Mine is a special so made in meheco. I really like these pups, they are pretty high output and the high end can be a little scratchy but overall sound great. More like a duncan than dimarzio. Kinda sounds like a duncan custom custom.

Have an import in my 78 Eruption. High output with clarity, A2 gives a lil sag to the attack and brings all the mids. Super ez to play.
Not as thick as a Suhr SSH+, nor tight as Tonenerd Roxy or Wicked 8.
Love what it does. No desire to swap it out.

I like the pickups that came in my Wolfgang standards. They kinda remind me of toned down Dimarzio Tone Zone / Air Norton sets.

I didn't care for the one I had that was stock in Charvel SC-1 I have. I swapped it with a Dimarzio Fortitude then a Duncan Custom shop '78. I think I liked the Fortitude the best. I must be more of a Dimarzio guy than Duncan. Duncans always feel a little dull to me.

I had an import Wolfgang for a few days. I ended up returning it because the way the guitar resonated in my hands was all wrong, BUT the pickups did sound great! No complaints about the pickups at all. I'd buy them separately and put them in a guitar I otherwise liked if that helps.

Back