Mesa Triple Rectifier

craigf

Hello Everyone

i just picked up a Mesa Triple Rectifier and i get no distortion on all 3 channels its my frist amp head so im not sure if I'm doing something wrong any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Last edited:
One thing you’re doing wrong is posting this in the off topic forum. Try the main Rig Talk forum.

When you say "gain" do you mean "distortion" or are you simply talking about volume? Is the amp successfully powering on? What cab are you using? Are you specifically using a speaker cable to plug the amp into the cab? What jack on the back of the amp is the speaker cable plugged into? Is there more than one jack on the cab? If so, what jack is the speaker cable plugged into on the cab?

As suggested above, use a dedicated speaker cable and make sure it’s plugged into the cab and amp head. Worth also checking the Ohm rating of your cab and making sure you’re plugging the speaker cable into the corresponding socket on the back of the amp. Not sure about Rectifiers, but if I engage the FX loop on my Mesa Stiletto (even with no pedals in the loop) the Output and Solo knobs become active and the Output acts like a Master volume (ie: you can run the channel volumes high but control overall volume via the Output knob). If the loop is active and that knob is all the way off, that could explain it.

Yes distortion I'm using a 4x12 speaker cab plugged into 8 OHMS the only jacks on the cab is in and out i don't know to name the cab it dos power on and everything works but no distortion

As suggested above, use a dedicated speaker cable and make sure it’s plugged into the cab and amp head. Worth also checking the Ohm rating of your cab and making sure you’re plugging the speaker cable into the corresponding socket on the back of the amp. Not sure about Rectifiers, but if I engage the FX loop on my Mesa Stiletto (even with no pedals in the loop) the Output and Solo knobs become active and the Output acts like a Master volume (ie: you can run the channel volumes high but control overall volume via the Output knob). If the loop is active and that knob is all the way off, that could explain it.
I'll try it thanks

Make sure you aren't on the clean channel, first off. If you are then switch to another channel. Turn the gain up...if you still don't have any distortion then maybe a preamp tube is toast? In that case you may want to take it to a tech if you are unfamiliar..pre tubes are easy to change but it seems you may be very new to this.

If the loop is active and the send-level knob on the back of the amp is on 0, you'll get no sound.
Doesn't sound like that is your problem if you are getting full clean power.

I just got my amp head looked at and its not the amp head I tried around 10 cables and its still the same so the only thing I can think of its the guitar I will have to get it checked and see

Yeah always check the guitar first!
If you don't have two guitars yet then maybe buy a little headphone amp so you'll always have a way to check for signal and/or noise issues.

Of course it's even better to have two amps and two guitars just for easy initial trouble-shooting.

If the loop is active and the send-level knob on the back of the amp is on 0, you'll get no sound.
ya thats all I'm getting is clean the loop is off

Yeah always check the guitar first!
If you don't have two guitars yet then maybe buy a little headphone amp so you'll always have a way to check for signal and/or noise issues.

Of course it's even better to have two amps and two guitars just for easy initial trouble-shooting.
i plugged in my acrostic guitar, just to see what would happen and i got the same thing

If you have contact cleaner, spray the input jack, and then plug your cable in/out a few times. Also, do this with the effects loop jacks. It's a long shot but when those jacks get dirty/oxidize they choke the signal a ton. Even if the loop isn't in use, it can affect the whole amp tone.

There are a lot of questions with this amp.. I am gonna have to send it off to my guy Mike B. I'll give you $450.
IMG_3680.jpeg

loop is offTha
If you have contact cleaner, spray the input jack, and then plug your cable in/out a few times. Also, do this with the effects loop jacks. It's a long shot but when those jacks get dirty/oxidize they choke the signal a ton. Even if the loop isn't in use, it can affect the whole amp tone.
Thanks ill try it

Back