Best plexi that's not a plexi

For me, the PRS HDRX 100. Like a cross between a JTM 45 and a Super Lead.

316240664_10229225574247892_8252364396546069373_n.jpg

The original Helios does the plexi thing spot on and much more.
I've had mine next to a 71 50 watt and it was very difficult to notice much difference.
Once you add the diode clipping it makes it way more 80's modded sound.
I also have a modded late 60's bassman.
It does the plexi type thing well.
But if I'm not mistaken they are 6l6 not el34 ?
I don't have the amp in front of me or I would look.
I think all the amps mentioned do that thing well.

The original Helios does the plexi thing spot on and much more.
I've had mine next to a 71 50 watt and it was very difficult to notice much difference.
Once you add the diode clipping it makes it way more 80's modded sound.
I also have a modded late 60's bassman.
It does the plexi type thing well.
But if I'm not mistaken they are 6l6 not el34 ?
I don't have the amp in front of me or I would look.
I think all the amps mentioned do that thing well.
Yeah the late 60s Bassman amps were 6L6GC and only had a 4 ohm output on the OT which is a bit of an inconvenience. I have one and love it but I modded it and play it for Fender tones.
This is one of those topics that will never have a single final answer. Been through a few Germinos, HW marshalls, metropoulis, etc and all have had their thing. Most recently got this 68 spec built by an EVH fanatic. Merren iron, NOS mustards etc etc and I fuckin love it.

View attachment 167884

That looks killer! It looks like it has the fat cap on the V2 cathode and thus could have the 50k mid pot. Those two things alone make a difference but still leave it pure Marshall.

Yeah the late 60s Bassman amps were 6L6GC and only had a 4 ohm output on the OT which is a bit of an inconvenience. I have one and love it but I modded it and play it for Fender tones.

That looks killer! It looks like it has the fat cap on the V2 cathode and thus could have the 50k mid pot. Those two things alone make a difference but still leave it pure Marshall.
A friend of mine mentioned that too. Going to pull it out and do a little A/Bing to see if I prefer it in there. What does it do sonically? “Fatten” up the midrange?

This is my modded bassman.
I'm using a little delay and a tube screamer.
The tube screamer was set pretty low.
I was noodling, really just trying to show the tone of the amp.
I'm playing a telecaster thinline with dimarzio transitions.

A friend of mine mentioned that too. Going to pull it out and do a little A/Bing to see if I prefer it in there. What does it do sonically? “Fatten” up the midrange?
Yes and also increases gain. If an audio pot is used it will act pretty normal thru most of the range and then ramp up at the highest settings but its typical to use a linear pot there. Dave Friedman says it helps to prevent that "crashing sound some Marshalls do" when really cranked.

Original JTM-45s used 6V6 not KT66. Remember it was basically a modified fender bassman.

6V6? I'm pretty sure they originally used 5881s (and a few with 6L6GTs) for a short while, then moved to KT66s (until the Reissue amps and their 5881s).

6V6? I'm pretty sure they originally used 5881s (and a few with 6L6GTs) for a short while, then moved to KT66s (until the Reissue amps and their 5881s).

I must have been thinking incorrectly of the 6V6 JTM David bray deluxe plexi. I know I’ve seen them.

Thank you all for being corrected multiple times.

I must have been thinking incorrectly of the 6V6 JTM David bray deluxe plexi. I know I’ve seen them.

Thank you all for being corrected multiple times.
That’s a 22w amp, so makes sense I’d think to use 6V6’s in that. Splawn did the same 6V6 in a supersport

I had Dave Friedman mod my 100w Plexi Reissue to match his '68 Plexi, it could be sold for a price...

The early metal panel 1959’s up to mid ‘73 to me are closer than most. I’m probably in the minority, but I like the Mojave Scorpion. It’s maybe a bit more stiff or controlled. Eq is a bit different.

Back