MIDI controllable Amp Channel Switcher

BIGKAHUNA

I’m looking for a midi box to use with a Boss ES5 that will channel switch my Ecstasy 101B. I mistakenly assumed the amp was midi capable but it’s not. Voodoo Lab has one for this specific function bit it only has 4 out puts and is bulky - at least appears that way. There are others midi boxes out there but I am not seeing where they are programmable to do momentary or latching type switching. I’d need 7 outs to control all th3 amps functions but could get by with 5 or 6. Any guidance is appreciated.

I have an RJM mini amp gizmo that has 8 switches. I used to control my XTC with it.
I'm not sure if they still make it, but you could look for a used one.

I have an RJM mini amp gizmo that has 8 switches. I used to control my XTC with it.
I'm not sure if they still make it, but you could look for a use one.

Thats exactly the thing. Does it require an adapter cable of some sort? Its 8 pin midi out and the amp is 7 pin xlr I assume....

I use the RJM effects gizmo (not amp gizmo) to control switching on my BE and other amps. I can only use the stereo loops (which are 9 through 12:)

• Loops 9-12 can also double as function switches, allowing you to control amplifier channel switching
However, wanted to point out that according to RJM:
  • The Effect Gizmo can be special ordered with all stereo loops
meaning you could potentially use all the loops 1 through 12 to control your amps.

The RJM effects gizmo is 1U, so bigger than the Voodoo Labs, but perhaps easier to install or secure into your rack.

Anybody a member of the gear page? this guy - tnjazz -has a posting for 2 of the RJM's with one left...its an older post from late February of this year but could possibly still have it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/rjm-mini-amp-gizmo.2530998/
I bought one of his Mini Gizmos he had for sale to switch my own 101B. I had BTPA make a custom cable to go from the 8 pin on the RJM to the 7 pin XLR on the Ecstasy. I use an RJM Mastermind to switch loops on my pedal board so this all worked pretty well. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. That whole setup works fantastic.

Ive done this in the past with XTC. If using voodoo lab control switcher you need two to access all functions. IF you only want channel switching and boost, I think you can get by with just 1. I believe you can also use the voodoo lab GCX, HEX or effects switchers as well but I used and still use the control switcher devices. The other thing you'd need to use with the voodoo lab stuff is a medusa cable to get from the DIN connector on the xtc to 1/4" jacks. For those that don't know this, the XTC uses a din connector for its footswitch but it is not midi.

The other option I know of is the RJM stuff, although I have no experience with their products, I believe they make a an adapter cable so you wouldn't have to use a medusa. I had two xtcs at one point, I might still have a medusa cable laying around at home if you need one.

Ive done this in the past with XTC. If using voodoo lab control switcher you need two to access all functions. IF you only want channel switching and boost, I think you can get by with just 1. I believe you can also use the voodoo lab GCX, HEX or effects switchers as well but I used and still use the control switcher devices. The other thing you'd need to use with the voodoo lab stuff is a medusa cable to get from the DIN connector on the xtc to 1/4" jacks. For those that don't know this, the XTC uses a din connector for its footswitch but it is not midi.

The other option I know of is the RJM stuff, although I have no experience with their products, I believe they make a an adapter cable so you wouldn't have to use a medusa. I had two xtcs at one point, I might still have a medusa cable laying around at home if you need one.
Full functionality at or below the price for a single Voodoo Lab unit was too good to pass up. This will be going on under a pedal board so the small form factor was also a plus.

This box comes with an 8pin midi to 7 pin XLR conversion cable so no Medusa cable will be required but thanks for the offer.

I have a GCX rack switching unit and a Ground Control Pro at home. This board, the XTC and cab will be mobile.

Thanks!

Back