BE vs. HBE???

reverymike

I'm debating whether or not I need the HBE when I send my amp to Dave. I'm pretty much settled on BE, c45, sat switch, loop and line out. I'm just teetering on whether I'll miss the HBE. Which has more gain, the BE or C45? I figured I could get into HBE territory using BE with a boost.

I need it to handle tones in the neighborhood of AIC, Ratt, VH, etc. I'm 99% sure I can get there with BE and c45, and I just don't know if I can justify paying for the HBE which is very close to the BE.

Thoughts?

I'm gonna get the BE, HBE, fat, sat & gain cut in a couple months, a BE with a boost would probably suffice, but the HBE clips i've heard are over the top, also the best sounding mods i've heard while still maintaining the complex mid stucture of a Marshall.

Fortin & Cameron mods seem to have a "5150" type sound going on, Dave seems best at enhancing without destroying Marshall tone IMHO. :rock:

As cheap as it is to add the HBE I'd say get it. It has more gain but also a different flavor than the BE & C45. Personally I think it cops the AIC tone better than the BE.

reverymike":s9378ynt said:
I'm debating whether or not I need the HBE when I send my amp to Dave. I'm pretty much settled on BE, c45, sat switch, loop and line out. I'm just teetering on whether I'll miss the HBE. Which has more gain, the BE or C45? I figured I could get into HBE territory using BE with a boost.

I need it to handle tones in the neighborhood of AIC, Ratt, VH, etc. I'm 99% sure I can get there with BE and c45, and I just don't know if I can justify paying for the HBE which is very close to the BE.

Thoughts?

I was in the same situation and passed on the HBE when I sent my amp in. The BE with the C45 and Sat switches will cover the styles of music you listed. I'm sure it's worth having but if you're looking to save some cash it's probably not completely necessary.

sswanson":1xdpjr9b said:
reverymike":1xdpjr9b said:

Thoughts?

I was in the same situation and passed on the HBE when I sent my amp in. The BE with the C45 and Sat switches will cover the styles of music you listed. I'm sure it's worth having but if you're looking to save some cash it's probably not completely necessary.
+1. For your music style the BE, C45, and Sat are all you need. Trust me.

You should just get it. Makes the amp more versatile plus it sounds different even if you back the gain off, it has a stealthier sound then the BE. Together it's unstoppable.

I say get the HBE. If you end up craving the HBE later, you'll have to ship your amp back to Dave and then pay to get the work done and have it shipped back. With the HBE, you'll have exactly what you need. If money is an issue, I agree that the BE should be fine. If you can get it though, I'd add it on.

I have the be,hbe ,c45,fat,sat,gain cut,and line out. With that being said I would get the hbe and forget the sat . The sat covers the same ground as the hbe but the hbe is tighter and just sounds better. Just my 2 cents :rock:

James Lugo":37m72zsd said:
You should just get it. Makes the amp more versatile plus it sounds different even if you back the gain off, it has a stealthier sound then the BE. Together it's unstoppable.
Hey Lugo, you got a Master Volume & HBE on that 1959T Friedman Marshall???

I use an almost dimed BE gain to cover AIC and about 90% of everything else. It is more punch an in your face. The HBE changes the flavor with more saturation, compression, less articulate and a lot of sustain. If you want to make the amp most versatile, I recommend getting it.

My Marsha only has BE/HBE. I opted to leave off the sat/fat and other specialty EQ options just to keep the signal path cleaner. Straight from input to output without any tone altered.

Steve

I talked to Dave the other day because he needed to make sure I was cool with some alterations inside my amp (it was previously modded by Splawn). I asked him about the different switches, etc. and whether I really NEEDED certain ones. He actually had a good point about how those other options are great in situations where you need something a bit extra for solos, etc.

I actually think a BE/HBE situation would work great for recordings, with each mod panned left and right. I have had great results when recording a low gain tone in one direction and heavier gain tone in the other direction.

charveldan":36iadtk1 said:
James Lugo":36iadtk1 said:

I don't have a 1959T Marshall, as far as I know...lol

James Lugo":3jb6baxc said:
charveldan":3jb6baxc said:
James Lugo":3jb6baxc said:

I don't have a 1959T Marshall, as far as I know...lol
In your Hemispheres [epic title] promo vid at 9:15 the 71' Super Trem Marshall, what did Dave do to that amp???

I have a Marsha 50W with BE, HBE, C45, SAT and FAT mods.

I love all the mods. In Fact I recommend to get Be and HBE. I only say that if your order both it would be nice to ask independent Gain control for BE and HBE.

Sometimes the nice adjust for the Gain oif BE is too much for the HBE.

Back