10 Watts!

BleedingEdge

Well, I'm really digging Voodoo's 10 watters. They're like mini cheeseburgers. All the flavor, but smaller, and even strangely better.

I've got two Witchdoctors - one from 07 and one from a month or two ago. I've got a Texas Heat, and I've got a Hex. The tones out of these things are just unbelievable. I play around with NOS tubes and change speakers sometimes but the end result is tonal nirvana every time. I think they're the end-all for great tones at low volumes - for recording, practicing at home.

Any other fans?

I'd like to get one as an amp to take to practice, tired of lugging my heavy ass Mark IV combo there every other day.

Sorry guys - no clips - but let me try to figure something out. Don't really want my recording skills to represent Voodoo. Pics- Here's one of one of my Voodoo Witchdoctors in its native habitat that I snapped with my cell phone camera - in my office I share with my wife with the family room just outside. I often play this with her sitting right there, and with my kids watching TV outside the door, and the tone just is everything I want. I'm more of a blues/classic rock/80s hard rock/80s metal guy, by no means a jazzer. Getting thick, non-fizzy, harmonically rich, open-sounding distortion at speaking volumes that rolls back with the guitar volume to a good dirty clean was the problem, and the Witchdoctor solved it. Beatles, Yardbirds, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Metallica, Ratt, Dokken - that's kind of what I play. This one has a Hellatone 60L in it, which fits me best in a small box combo like this - adds a good complex low end. I also put one in my 10W Hex. There is a "Global" control that kind of sweeps the amp from an upper mids emphasis to a lower mids emphasis, I think - and is one of the keys to the flexibility of this amp. For EVH type stuff, I throw a Boss GE-10 in front and hook it up to a 4x12 with greenbacks, but you can get close with the extra gain stage engaged (via a switch).

NewImage.jpg

I have some others amps too...
Picture005.jpg

But since I put the Witchdoctor in the office, I'm often very happy practicing upstairs in the office and still staying a member of the family, and despite my wife being right there with my amp going in her ear from 8 feet away, she seems a lot happier that I don't disappear downstairs for hours.

Fartknocker":2ax1o5jn said:
Does you Witchdoctor have an effects loop?
Nah, these are no frills class A amps built for swirly rich bona fide tone to the bone at lower volumes, no bells and whistles, no hassle. Of my amps, they're the easiest thing to just plug straight in and get the tone and have fun.

BleedingEdge":2nqgwtwu said:
Fartknocker":2nqgwtwu said:
Nah, these are no frills class A amps built for swirly rich bona fide tone to the bone at lower volumes, no bells and whistles, no hassle. Of my amps, they're the easiest thing to just plug straight in and get the tone and have fun.
How much gain is on tap? Like VH4 Channel 3 or what?

Szar":2hibpo4y said:
BleedingEdge":2hibpo4y said:
Fartknocker":2hibpo4y said:
How much gain is on tap? Like VH4 Channel 3 or what?

Got an ENGL SE, a couple IIC+s, and Tremoverb, but no VH4. The Hex doesn't have the modern flavor of gain that the Witchdoctor can get -the Hex is more JCM 800ish, feels more old school. I love the Hex with an EQ pedal in front - classic rock to NWBHM tones (more like my Wizard Modern Classic) depending on how the EQ is tweaked. The Witchdoctor is 4 gain stages and it can get very compressed and hugely distorted if you want, with a more modern feel, and no pedal necessary - alone it sounds like a modded Marshall that's been pushed and prodded and tweaked for much higher gain. Does Metallica very well. I feel the Witchdotctor is more flexible - seems to me more versatile from clean to mean, but the Hex nail's the classic rock tones in a more authentic way. Texas Heat is 100% Fender, SRV but at low volumes, and no need for a Tubescreamer. The key to me is the loudness at which these tones from SRV to EVH to Hetfield are nailed. There's a way to get these tones in the original way and at deafening volumes. And there's a different way to get these tones at low volumes. Clearly everything from the circuit to the custom OT to the tubes are oriented to obtaining great, pushed tones at low sound pressure levels. In the room, obviously it's hard to substitute for moving a lot of air with a full stack at high volumes, but the compromise is remarkably small.

I built a guitar for a dear friend and tonight I gave away my first Witchdoctor with the guitar because I just wanted to be very sure the guitar sounded the best it could when he got it home and played it. Nothing's more plug and play.

FX-Loop Upgrade now available! You can order a Voodoo single-ended 10 watt amplifier and upgrade to an FX-Loop for $99.00.

Preamp
The Send jack can be connected to a separate power amp or an FX Return jack of an amplifier allowing for a number of tonal options (great for recording!)

10 Watt Power Amp
The Return jack can be connected to any external preamp (Marshall JMP-1, ADA MP-1, etc) as well as to an FX Send jack of any amplifier to utilize the amp as a stand alone 10 watt amplifier.

I've always been intrigued by the 10 watt Witchdocor, but it's hard to justify $1500 on an amp I can't try before I buy, especially a home/practice amp. The clips on the Voodoo site make it sound great, but I'd love some "real world" clips and such.

eva_longoria_s_tony_parker_tattoo-arton23973-290x284.jpg

ironcity":3c94t41q said:
Are the 10 Watters loud enough to gig a small club or bar in a full band?
It is only half as loud as a 100 watt head, so yeah, if you put to thru a bigger cab or mic'd it up!

Are the 10 Watters loud enough to gig a small club or bar in a full band?

It a may work with a 4x12 but with a hard hitting rock/metal drummer you might be on the edge. I would a STL-1 and a power amp then you are more than covered (clubs, theators, arenas, etc). The STL-1 is a transformer iscolated speaker-to-line level box.

The chain would be
Aux speaker jack (you can use the internal speaker as the load) --> STL-1 --> Power Amp --> speaker cabinet

This is a transformer iscolated speaker-to-line level box.

Voodoo%20STL-1%20Net.jpg

Well, I'm ponying up for another.

Just ordered a V-Rock 10W Combo to go with my Witchdoctor, my Texas Heat, and my Hex. The V-Rock will have a loop, and things could get interesting, especially since I also ordered an STL-1. Might use a couple together plus the loop.

But might not. For plug and play at home/practice/studio, these amps are just the sex for home/practice/studio. Designed to give it all up at lower volumes, and they do. Thank you Trace!

Back