A couple of thumbpicking tracks

Here's a couple of mine.

Excellent! LOVE the guitar too.

Back around 70-72 (10-12 yo) when I first started playing I kept trying to convince my dad that
Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black sabbath was legitimate guitar music.

He'd just hand me one of his Chet Atkins albums and walk away. :D

Guessing you're a fan of Steve Howe? He was my hero mid 70s.

Excellent! LOVE the guitar too.

Back around 70-72 (10-12 yo) when I first started playing I kept trying to convince my dad that
Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black sabbath was legitimate guitar music.

He'd just hand me one of his Chet Atkins albums and walk away. :D

Guessing you're a fan of Steve Howe? He was my hero mid 70s.
Thanks Donnie - I started off listening to the same stuff as you but at about the age of 15 I had a guitar teacher that was a Jazz session guitarist and that blew my mind. I worked out that what I liked in rock bands like the Stones or ACDC or Led Zeppelin etc was the bluesy riffs and from there I found the blues and for many years I just played pentatonic laziness essentially... I still like it but I got in a rut with it... I did have quite a few Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel albums at the time but it was beyond what I had time to learn at the time - so when I retired I had a go at learning it - since I had the time... Thumbpicking is a bit like classical piano in a way... well actually ragtime piano... They are mostly arrangements rather than improvised music and you have to be precise with your hands or things don't ring out nicely. It's good for my brain as I age anyway... Keeps my hands dextrous... Re: Steve Howe and Mike Oldfield etc for sure I like them but I listened to them and prog rock a bit later on.

Thumbpicking is a bit like classical piano in a way... well actually ragtime piano... They are mostly arrangements rather than improvised music and you have to be precise with your hands or things don't ring out nicely.

It's was more the concept of Travis picking and banjo like 'rolls' in general that got me. Stuff that didn't necessarily need a pick.

If I could turn back the clock and start all over I'd learn both Travis and Hybrid picking before moving on to straight flat pick.

It's was more the concept of Travis picking and banjo like 'rolls' in general that got me. Stuff that didn't necessarily need a pick.

If I could turn back the clock and start all over I'd learn both Travis and Hybrid picking before moving on to straight flat pick.

You can still flat pick with the thumbpick and do sweep picking - it sucks for strumming so I don't strum much now. I would like to play some fast gypsy jazz with a flat pick but I haven't devoted enough time to it. I used to practice Charlie Parker sax solos with a flat pick and of course blues stuff I used one...

Last edited:
Back