Amp placement

V87

Hi all, I'm new to valve amps so needed some advice. I've managed to get both of these recently. I wanted to ask if it's safe to stack them like this and use them? There's about a cm gap above the Laney , but it does give off a lot of heat (4 6l6 valves), but I never play really loud or for anything longer than an hour , maybe once a week. Will it harm the ENGL?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_091144043.jpg
    PXL_20240409_091144043.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 21
Just feel the chassis and see how hot it gets. Its probably fine especially with the front grill allowing air flow. If you've ever felt how hot an old Fender amp gets, with the tubes hanging under the chassis then you might not worry about it as much. Especially old tube rectified Fenders with reverb, you cant leave your hand on the chassis back near the power tubes, its that hot. And theyre still going 50 years later.

Many of us here have amps stacked 3-4 high. There's no problem with stacking them like that as long as you don't knock them over. That or if you're TGP levels of paranoid about the feet leaving indentations in the tolex of the amp it's sitting on.

BTW, nice selection on your first couple of tube amps. And I dig the blue covering on that Zilla cab.

If you've ever felt how hot an old Fender amp gets, with the tubes hanging under the chassis then you might not worry about it as much. Especially old tube rectified Fenders with reverb, you cant leave your hand on the chassis back near the power tubes, its that hot. And theyre still going 50 years later.
This. I have done a lot of 100 degree outdoor gigs with a Twin without any issues. OP you can always throw a cheap oscillating fan back there to help keep things a little cooler. Probably a good thing to do,

Many of us here have amps stacked 3-4 high. There's no problem with stacking them like that as long as you don't knock them over. That or if you're TGP levels of paranoid about the feet leaving indentations in the tolex of the amp it's sitting on.

BTW, nice selection on your first couple of tube amps. And I dig the blue covering on that Zilla cab.
Ah thanks ! Yeah I've been playing solid state and hybrids (Blackstars) over years. 20 years in I played a 'proper' tube and was like OMG - I get it now ! I'm in the UK and Laney's go really cheap here - and the ENGL, the chap was practically giving it away !

The Zilla cab I had done to look like an old Fender Combo amp - same grill cloth and everything. Sounds incredible too!

Back