Amprx Brown Box

Learning little by little here, but what you wrote makes sense considering a power conditioner doesn't regulate voltage, it just provides protection against power fluctuations and additionally filters EMI/RFI. The product @shar-vell Dan linked is a voltage regulator on top of being a power conditioner and surge protector. Here is Sweetwater's take on it.

Terrifying. I got electrocuted as a kid, even though it was relatively minor I still remember how sickening it felt. Electricity scares the crap out of me.

Damn, not what I wanted to hear because I spent so much time planning out the perfect layout for my 16U rack where space is dear... but very valuable information to have on hand before I go on a spending and install spree. I planned to put the Trip Lite in back of the rack, but sounds like the hum would bug me regardless of where it is positioned... may have to just sacrifice that extra space and go for the Black Lion unit....

BTW, this person agrees with you @Soundstorm as do others in this thread: "Anyhow, I received a LCR2400 a week ago, plugged it in & was astonished at how physically loud it was humming. So loud that here's no way I could track vocals or acoustic instruments in the same room as this thing. I tried it on a few different circuits, all with the same result. I called Tripp Lite & they said it was likely a faulty transformer & suggested I return/exchange it through Amazon (where I purchased the unit). I filed for an exchange, sent off the old & the new arrived yesterday & it's just as loud!"

One question for the group and one for @dcburn:

1) What number(s) do I have to add up to make sure I am not overloading a power unit? For example, the Tripp Lite rates the maximum input amps at 20 and the maximum input Watts at 2400. The Black Lion unit is 15 amps. How many devices can I plug into the latter? I intend to plug in 3 tube amps, 1 Fryette LXII, 1 Fryette PS-100, one Axe Fx II, the rest are less demanding. Do I just have to add up the amps in each and make sure they come in under 15 total? The tube amplifiers won't be played simultaneously.

2) Are @dcburn and @dcburn mk.ii two entities residing in the same body? :unsure:
You’ll be fine with that load. Probably only a few amps depending on how loud you have your amp set. There’s a current readout on the front of the Black Lion so you can know exactly how much everything is drawing. I have a tube amp, two powered monitors and a sub, a rack mount interface, display, laptop charger, and a few pieces of outboard and I never get over a few amps.

Damn, this thread is really making me want a voltage regulator now. My amps seem to bounce between muddy & crisp at times and I keep just thinking it's the tubes going bad or something.

That Black Lion sounds great but is expensive AF. Is there a cheap single outlet version I could just put between my existing Furman and the wall outlet?

Learning little by little here, but what you wrote makes sense considering a power conditioner doesn't regulate voltage, it just provides protection against power fluctuations and additionally filters EMI/RFI. The product @shar-vell Dan linked is a voltage regulator on top of being a power conditioner and surge protector. Here is Sweetwater's take on it.

Terrifying. I got electrocuted as a kid, even though it was relatively minor I still remember how sickening it felt. Electricity scares the crap out of me.

Damn, not what I wanted to hear because I spent so much time planning out the perfect layout for my 16U rack where space is dear... but very valuable information to have on hand before I go on a spending and install spree. I planned to put the Trip Lite in back of the rack, but sounds like the hum would bug me regardless of where it is positioned... may have to just sacrifice that extra space and go for the Black Lion unit....

BTW, this person agrees with you @Soundstorm as do others in this thread: "Anyhow, I received a LCR2400 a week ago, plugged it in & was astonished at how physically loud it was humming. So loud that here's no way I could track vocals or acoustic instruments in the same room as this thing. I tried it on a few different circuits, all with the same result. I called Tripp Lite & they said it was likely a faulty transformer & suggested I return/exchange it through Amazon (where I purchased the unit). I filed for an exchange, sent off the old & the new arrived yesterday & it's just as loud!"

1) What number(s) do I have to add up to make sure I am not overloading a power unit? For example, the Tripp Lite rates the maximum input amps at 20 and the maximum input Watts at 2400. The Black Lion unit is 15 amps. How many devices can I plug into the latter? I intend to plug in 3 tube amps, 1 Fryette LXII, 1 Fryette PS-100, one Axe Fx II, the rest are less demanding. Do I just have to add up the amps in each and make sure they come in under 15 total? The tube amplifiers won't be played simultaneously.

2) Are @dcburn and @dcburn mk.ii two entities residing in the same body? :unsure:
hello 🎯

hello 🎯

cbf4693993e0b953fb96357aacf435d09317dcd2.png

"Dan took an interest in Electronics at an early age" --------

Damn, this thread is really making me want a voltage regulator now. My amps seem to bounce between muddy & crisp at times and I keep just thinking it's the tubes going bad or something.

That Black Lion sounds great but is expensive AF. Is there a cheap single outlet version I could just put between my existing Furman and the wall outlet?
Not finding any single outlet models I would recommend. Not an expert by any means, but it seems like voltage regulation requires a beefy transformer. Here’s what I found on Amazon, for example.
Hello to you both :ROFLMAO:
cbf4693993e0b953fb96357aacf435d09317dcd2.png

"Dan took an interest in Electronics at an early age" --------
Explains your obvious superpowers!

Back