Analyzing Lynch and Huff to get my theory together...

I´ve come to realize that I need to get better on the guitar. I love to play and have cool gear, but I need to get my theory, fretboard knowledge and also technique etc. together to make it more musical and just more pleasing to me and others who hear me play.

I´m a huge Lynch fan. To me, this is the best stuff he´s ever done, those licks are better than the ones who eventually made it to the album.

Dann Huff is a monster too, especially on the first two Giant albums (solos on Innocent Days, Lost In Paradise and I´ll See You In My Dreams).
This guys playing is similar to his:

What theory do I need to know to get into that ballpark? Which scales, modes, arpeggios etc. do I start with? The playing abilities don´t hurt as well, but I´m working on that :)

Lynch primarily uses the phrygian and dorian modes, diatonic to the key. While he is a good picker, he tends to legato a lot of his runs. Two things about him, his vibrato is his signature and he achieves this three ways: sliding up and down (which Greg Howe has taken and does exclusively), typical finger vibrato, and EVH whammy vibrato which is dive only (as the old trems weren't recessed and they didn't float. George loves wide intervals, think 7 8 12 on the high e string and pedal tones, open high e with pull offs on the e string (kiss of death solo), and lastly, he ends most solo runs on the flat five or a minor third. Essentially, play a simple lick and end it on the note that is in the scale that is resolved (or pleasing to the ear), then drop that note down one fret, so you create some dissonance.

The best advice that I can give on Lynch (who was the reason that I picked up the guitar in 87) is to learn his solos (they aren't too hard). Learn 'In My Dreams', 'Into the Fire', and 'Alone Again'. From there you will have a BIG understanding of the idioms that he uses.

Dan is a different breed and while I love his playing, I've never tried to analyze what he is doing. He does have a full length instructional out there that gets uploaded and removed from Youtube about once every two weeks.

What makes Lynch stand out is his original style which is based on blues. I believe Hendrix was a big influence.

brusky":2g97o9an said:
What makes Lynch stand out is his original style which is based on blues. I believe Hendrix was a big influence.

I felt like an idiot after he said it himself on Navarro's show.... :doh:

Shred's correct too, it's his unique combination that's so damn appealing.

Lynch will tell you himself, he doesn't really know theory or scales like a Vai or Petrucci would. George plays by
"shapes" and moves them around according to the root key. Flatted 5th's and 3rd's as well. I've seen him go off in his zone where he's just ON (various videos and recent live stuff on youtube) and he really is a unique player and can definitely still WOW you!

The thing about his instructional video and studio time during the recording of Wicked Sensation, is that George was taking lessons from a shredder guitar player and all that was fresh in his mind.....if you really pay attention to the solos, they are mostly pentatonic in nature where he adds or flattens certain notes based on his ear and feel. That's what makes Lynch one of the greats....even if he's not really schooled. :rock:

The end of that video where he's playing those blues licks with his fingers and a less dirty tone is THE SHIT ! He's never sounded better than that. He killed it.

paulyc":24o4dxqv said:
The end of that video where he's playing those blues licks with his fingers and a less dirty tone is THE SHIT ! He's never sounded better than that. He killed it.

AGREED!! Forgot about that. :rock:

Everything about that session must have been magic...his playing is on fire, his tone is the best he ever had, the tunes rocked and the band was amazing. My ONLY regret is that he didn't/couldn't have his first choice of singer on those tracks...Ray Gillen from Badlands....oh shit, that first Lynch Mob record would have been complete with Ray singing on it. Not that Oni wasn't good, but Ray, for my money at least, would have completed the picture.

Ive said it a million times and it still rings true. Learn intervals and everything else becomes easy. You can build any sound you want when you understand this

whats cool to me about Lynch.....is when he is playing, he just seems to Hold the note....Bend it...
or use the Whammy in the right spot at the right time. :thumbsup:
to me thats his signature. His vibrato and bends....love it.
That 2nd video was a Classic example of this. :rock:

Back