Andy Wood Signature Model

I looked there, the only thing I think that might be a problem is they are in Canada. I've never ordered something "internationally" before...even though its only in Canada.

I found one on Guitarasylums web site too, but again the were sold out, just didnt update their website.

Gjeven":2d8n9654 said:
I looked there, the only thing I think that might be a problem is they are in Canada.

Don't see what the problem is......they ship to the U.S. You should call or email them to see what's up. Sure is a nice looking axe. I based one of my Moderns off of it, except I went with a basswood body/maple neck with an African rosewood fingerboard.

SuhrModern-InfernoBurst1-1.jpg

I also found a Modern which has almost everything I would want in terms of options and color. It's pretty close to a guthrie model. The only thing it is made of Alder wood instead of mahogany.

I have a couple of PRS's which are mahogany, and a Musicman BFR which is Alder. I prefer mahogany tone slightly more than alder. So many decisions. :D

Gjeven":3oxmvbij said:
I also found a Modern which has almost everything I would want in terms of options and color. It's pretty close to a guthrie model. The only thing it is made of Alder wood instead of mahogany.

I have a couple of PRS's which are mahogany, and a Musicman BFR which is Alder. I prefer mahogany tone slightly more than alder. So many decisions. :D

Yeah, I've had both mahogany and alder Moderns....and I actually prefer alder, at least for a Modern. I sold the mahogany Modern that was based closely on the GG Signature and currently own two alder Moderns and the basswood one pictured above. I've got the GG neck on all three and love it.

Well, I pulled the trigger. It should be delivered by Wed next week.

It is very close to GG specs, but has an alder body, and Aldrich bridge pickup.

Gjeven":2l5dceix said:
Well, I pulled the trigger. It should be delivered by Wed next week.

It is very close to GG specs, but has an alder body, and Aldrich bridge pickup.

Cool! You'll more than likely dig it. I can't tell you how much I love mine! For my taste, they are by far the best guitars I've ever played ....and I've owned quite a few. (Over 40) Let us know what you think after you get it! :rock:

This place has one that I played the other day. I actually liked the regular modern shape over the shape on the Andy Wood one. And what's up with the setup on these? The strings were basically resting on the frets the action was soo low? This made it sound and feel that the guitar had zero tone. If you buy a new one be prepared to set it up, unless you like extreme low action and basically no tone.

I took a modern in on a trade and same thing, the action was next to nothing. I gave the neck some relief, got those terrible 9 gauge strings off it and gave it a setup and it's got some life to it now. The neck shape is pretty comfy and it sounds decent overall, neck tones are still a bit on the thin side though.

http://goldenageguitars.com/

danyeo":1cgfme0n said:
This place has one that I played the other day. I actually liked the regular modern shape over the shape on the Andy Wood one. And what's up with the setup on these? The strings were basically resting on the frets the action was soo low? This made it sound and feel that the guitar had zero tone. If you buy a new one be prepared to set it up, unless you like extreme low action and basically no tone.

I took a modern in on a trade and same thing, the action was next to nothing. I gave the neck some relief, got those terrible 9 gauge strings off it and gave it a setup and it's got some life to it now. The neck shape is pretty comfy and it sounds decent overall, neck tones are still a bit on the thin side though.

If you're referring to the neck carve of the Andy Wood Modern, it's actually the same as the regular Modern shape....although the AW has a 16" fingerboard radius, while most regular Moderns come with Suhr's signature compound radius of 10"-14". Also, Moderns (and I think all other Suhrs) come standard with 10's, so the 9's were probably put on by the previous owner. And dude....Moderns come setup with low action....but, there is this thing called climate change that can affect the setup while traveling from the factory to your hands. I've ordered 4 custom Moderns where only 1 out of 4 came with the strings touching the frets and the other 3 just having factory low action. I like it slightly higher myself....but, it's really not that big of a deal....in most cases, a slight truss rod adjustment and it's there. I've had to adjust the setup on many new guitars I've bought, which is something I've come to expect and have no problem with...I think it's a non-issue. Why would anyone expect a guitar to come setup perfectly out of the box, especially considering that everyone's taste can differ? I've noticed that you like to hate on two things in particular....Suhrs and Mesa Mark V's lol.

Tone Zone":34s3yc8u said:
danyeo":34s3yc8u said:

If you're referring to the neck carve of the Andy Wood Modern, it's actually the same as the regular Modern shape....although the AW has a 16" fingerboard radius, while most regular Moderns come with Suhr's signature compound radius of 10"-14". Also, Moderns (and I think all other Suhrs) come standard with 10's, so the 9's were probably put on by the previous owner. And dude....Moderns come setup with low action....but, there is this thing called climate change that can affect the setup while traveling from the factory to your hands. I've ordered 4 custom Moderns where only 1 out of 4 came with the strings touching the frets and the other 3 just having factory low action. I like it slightly higher myself....but, it's really not that big of a deal....in most cases, a slight truss rod adjustment and it's there. I've had to adjust the setup on many new guitars I've bought, which is something I've come to expect and have no problem with...I think it's a non-issue. Why would anyone expect a guitar to come setup perfectly out of the box, especially considering that everyone's taste can differ? I've noticed that you like to hate on two things in particular....Suhrs and Mesa Mark V's lol.

"Like to hate" or stating one's experiences are 2 things I find that get confused by some. The modern I just got is much better after some setup, it's not perfect though. It sounds a LOT better than a Koa standard I had. I owned an S4 that was pretty cool but I never played it next to my Drop Top. I think the prices of the Pro Series are pretty good for what you get. The Andy Wood model did feel different from the Modern I have right now, but 2 outta 3 Suhr's at the dealer had really low action which gives them no margin of error when it comes to climate change, not sure why they set them up that way. All the Anderson's, LSL's, and Tylers at the dealer all felt like they were setup in a similiar way with not too high, not low action. It was kinda funny though playing one Suhr when the notes sounded like a typewriter because of the action. But oh well, a little setup goes a long way.

And don't get me started on the Mark V. :LOL: :LOL:

This is a pic of the guitar I bought from the music stores website, it was already built but basically has the main features I wanted. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow....can't wait :D

3431-LG.jpg

Nice!!! I see you bought yours from the same dealer I've dealt with for all my Suhr purchases. Rocket Music is great to deal with.

danyeo":blvnds28 said:
The modern I just got is much better after some setup, it's not perfect though. It sounds a LOT better than a Koa standard I had. I owned an S4 that was pretty cool but I never played it next to my Drop Top. I think the prices of the Pro Series are pretty good for what you get. The Andy Wood model did feel different from the Modern I have right now, but 2 outta 3 Suhr's at the dealer had really low action which gives them no margin of error when it comes to climate change, not sure why they set them up that way. All the Anderson's, LSL's, and Tylers at the dealer all felt like they were setup in a similiar way with not too high, not low action. It was kinda funny though playing one Suhr when the notes sounded like a typewriter because of the action. But oh well, a little setup goes a long way.

We don't put 009's on we use .010s some dealers take liberties on the setup. Or it could depend on the climate when we built it compared to where it is shipping. It should be pretty easy to bring it in to spec. We have instructions for that on the website and set them up at 1/16" at the last fret t to the string, same as Anderson does as well.

Suhr":559rwk33 said:
danyeo":559rwk33 said:
The modern I just got is much better after some setup, it's not perfect though. It sounds a LOT better than a Koa standard I had. I owned an S4 that was pretty cool but I never played it next to my Drop Top. I think the prices of the Pro Series are pretty good for what you get. The Andy Wood model did feel different from the Modern I have right now, but 2 outta 3 Suhr's at the dealer had really low action which gives them no margin of error when it comes to climate change, not sure why they set them up that way. All the Anderson's, LSL's, and Tylers at the dealer all felt like they were setup in a similiar way with not too high, not low action. It was kinda funny though playing one Suhr when the notes sounded like a typewriter because of the action. But oh well, a little setup goes a long way.

We don't put 009's on we use .010s some dealers take liberties on the setup. Or it could depend on the climate when we built it compared to where it is shipping. It should be pretty easy to bring it in to spec. We have instructions for that on the website and set them up at 1/16" at the last fret t to the string, same as Anderson does as well.

I have it setup with 10's now and with some truss rods tweaks it plays really nice now. Thanks. I am really liking the Modern now because the neck shape is very comfy. The SSH+ sounds good but since I'm swapping out the SSV I just went with a chrome covered set of Aldrich. The Drop Top I have is like an old pair of sneakers but it's a nice changeup to play the modern. All I need now is a tremol-no.

Back