Anyone compare preproduction CCV to a Jose modded marshall?

I have. First, there are many versions of Mark's Jose mods out there. To make an honest comparison to a CCV, you will need to find a 100 watt Jose with a dedicated low gain and a dedicated high gain channel with independent EQ (front and back) for both channels, independent masters, and of course, foot switching for the channels. The usual post master controls will be there too for refinement as the clipping selections and a loop. There are only a few of these full on LG/HG Jose's around as Mark didn't make many. Most are shared EQ. These full on Jose mods and the CCV are in the same ball park, but the CCV you will find tighter, a bit more ballsy and usually a little more quiet at higher gain levels. The CCV has about 560 volts B+ as compared to a normal Marshall with around 470V. This makes a hell of a difference in headroom, saturation, tightness, etc.

Steve

I learn more about Mark's amps from Steve than I did from Mark. :LOL: :LOL:

Looking back now there were a few I should never have sold. :doh:

EXP, I don't know how that MarkIIC mod you had sounded, but it sounded SO badass on the clip Mark did. I really wanted that amp. :doh:

That one was killer but there were some that unfortunately I wish I had clips or pics of. Like a Euro market 69 Superbass with laydown transformers in original red tolex that Bogner did a master to then Mark added his Jose high and low gain to.

EXPcustom":2cfms1s7 said:
That one was killer but there were some that unfortunately I wish I had clips or pics of. Like a Euro market 69 Superbass with laydown transformers in original red tolex that Bogner did a master to then Mark added his Jose high and low gain to.

Damn!!

I bet that one is somekinda SWEET! :rock:

Let the happy amp trail hunting begin! :poke: :D

halebox":ajib06p1 said:
Are they close enough or very different? Which did you prefer?

I own both- CCV and two Jose's. I defer to Steve K's comments as they are on. I also find the CCV to be a little less "raw" sounding on channel 2 typically. In terms of versatility and considering what Steve posted, the CCV has the edge.

Back