Atomica & deferent power tubes

Capulin Overdrive

First off, the stock tubes are a pretty good combo! :rock:

I was skeptical about not having SED's in there, BUT suprise suprise the ARS JJ tubes sound better. Makes me wonder if the amp wasn't tweaked around these tubes?

Anyways the SED's were tolerable, but just something missing in the mids, like lots? OH, and the Jose diode clipping was sheer doo doo with the SED's! :scared:

The stock JJ are pretty good and balanced with mids in the right place for my ears, only complaint is they have a honky woody tone.

Next was Chinese BHT, just too sterile with these and no character, but nice low end. However the Jose gain sounded the best with these.

Finally the EH6CA7 and the tubes that will stay in there! :rock: Lose some minds with these over the JJ, but everthing else is better. Big time BOOM, and lots smoother without any honk. Had to back the bass and depth way off from the other tubes. These feel the best to play, by a long shot, and they sound good with the Jose diodes.

Messed around with a few preamp while the SED's were in there. Settled on a TAD High Grade silver plate 7025wa, it was better than Tung-sol, LPS, Ruby HG+. Moved the HG+ TO V2.

Need to try Gold Lion KT-77, and guessing they might do ok. But plenty happy with the EH 6CA7, and could live with the stock tubes also.

atomica #3 which is how many days it took my new Fedex guy to get it delivered! :doh:

Attachments

• P1000068 (800x600).jpg
    P1000068 (800x600).jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,273
Capulin Overdrive":3e895v0b said:
First off, the stock tubes are a pretty good combo! :rock:

I was skeptical about not having SED's in there, BUT suprise suprise the ARS JJ tubes sound better. Makes me wonder if the amp wasn't tweaked around these tubes?

Anyways the SED's were tolerable, but just something missing in the mids, like lots? OH, and the Jose diode clipping was sheer doo doo with the SED's! :scared:

The stock JJ are pretty good and balanced with mids in the right place for my ears, only complaint is they have a honky woody tone.

Next was Chinese BHT, just too sterile with these and no character, but nice low end. However the Jose gain sounded the best with these.

Finally the EH6CA7 and the tubes that will stay in there! :rock: Lose some minds with these over the JJ, but everthing else is better. Big time BOOM, and lots smoother without any honk. Had to back the bass and depth way off from the other tubes. These feel the best to play, by a long shot, and they sound good with the Jose diodes.

Messed around with a few preamp while the SED's were in there. Settled on a TAD High Grade silver plate 7025wa, it was better than Tung-sol, LPS, Ruby HG+. Moved the HG+ TO V2.

Need to try Gold Lion KT-77, and guessing they might do ok. But plenty happy with the EH 6CA7, and could live with the stock tubes also.

atomica #3 which is how many days it took my new Fedex guy to get it delivered! :doh:

only running 2 power tubes?

Did your Atomica not come with a headshell? Kinda strange that you would post a picture of a brand new amp that is totally out of the headshell and up on blocks....

SLOgriff":2sorfk7k said:
Did your Atomica not come with a headshell? Kinda strange that you would post a picture of a brand new amp that is totally out of the headshell and up on blocks....

Not entirely strange if he's changing/biasing power tubes.

SLOgriff":2kzsuv0r said:

:confused: really?

Back