Badger 35 and the PT100

gabaghoul

I was really interested in the Badger 35. Would there be any reason for me to buy one if I already had a PT100 which I absolutely love. I have the same question for the 30 and the PT.

Do they complement each other or is there too much overlap?

Not speaking from experience playing either one but the 35 is el84's and the PT'S are usually 6L6 or EL34's. I think they would complement each other well being that they both run different power tubes.

You know, that's a great point. I guess I just want as wide a palette as I can get. I like the Badger, the 18 or the 35, because of the el84 power section which is where the real difference in breakup comes from but after thinking about it, I'm wondering if I can get something equally as versatile as the PT100 but voiced completely different.

What do you think about something like a Mesa Mark V? I do like the Petrucci modern sound. The thick single note lead tones which are not that easy to get on the PT. I think that might cover a lot of what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions?

gabaghoul":3gisqp4y said:
The thick single note lead tones which are not that easy to get on the PT.

Any other suggestions?

Diezel Hagen fits right in that gap with a smooth saturated high gain lead and is quite different to a PT, although ch2 is pretty hot rod marshall so there is some overlap, a VH4 may be offer more variation, but yeah anything Diezel with give you a whole new modern palette

gabaghoul":3t73ljic said:
You know, that's a great point. I guess I just want as wide a palette as I can get. I like the Badger, the 18 or the 35, because of the el84 power section which is where the real difference in breakup comes from but after thinking about it, I'm wondering if I can get something equally as versatile as the PT100 but voiced completely different.

What do you think about something like a Mesa Mark V? I do like the Petrucci modern sound. The thick single note lead tones which are not that easy to get on the PT. I think that might cover a lot of what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions?

I also have a mesa mark v, very different to the pt. You can get those thick lead tones, extremely heavy and tight rhythm and some quite impressive clean/breakup sounds.
Depending on the setting, the lead on the pt sounds very thick to me as well...

FWIW, I played the Badger 30 and PT100. They do not sound much alike at all. Different amps, different tones. I found the PT100 noticeably brighter than the 30.

Back