Best Buffer ....

Diary of a Axeman

Banned
To me, it's the Fryette / VHT Valvulator buffer , I had two on my pedalboard, then I moved both to the output of my rack processor and it gave me more tube dynamics , each with a 12ax7 tube, three 9volt, one 12volt power supply for pedals .

20220614_170350.jpg

Has anybody, tried the Pete Cornish Buffer or any other solid state buffers ?

Last edited:
I used a CAE Line Driver in the past, now will be using a Klon clone always on. As long as you have one doing it, its good imo.

I've been using a JHS Prestige, which is okay... mainly need it to boost signal into a Fender 6G15. I also have a Tumnus mini I can try.

1680542628302.png

I love the one in my TC Polytune 3. Even with short cables and active pickups, it makes everything sound better.
That's the Bonafide Buffer. I use the same pedal at the start of my chain - works great to keep the signal strong with no audible loss in high end. I briefly swapped it out for a Boss TU-3 which gets props for it's buffer and I did not like it nearly as much. It had a strange, "tizzy" sound, almost like when you have an EQ in line and you dial in too many artificial sounding highs. YMMV.

I actually have a TU-3 here in Canada as well, and I hate it, LOL. I mean, as a tuner, yeah, it works. No complaints there.

But as a buffer, I've tried recording DI tracks plugged into my whole pedalboard, and I realized the buffer on the TU-3 actually clips, LOL. You don't even have to feed it a super hot signal from a X2N to do so. Just picking hard on on anything mid-output an even PAFs clips off the peaks. So if you want transparency... yeah, no way the TU-3 is going to give it to you. I've personally noticed it makes everything sound thinner and narrower.

What a weak poor dated design, IMO.

I'm bringing my Polytune in a couple of weeks that I'm going back home and coming back up north for sure.

That's the Bonafide Buffer. I use the same pedal at the start of my chain - works great to keep the signal strong with no audible loss in high end. I briefly swapped it out for a Boss TU-3 which gets props for it's buffer and I did not like it nearly as much. It had a strange, "tizzy" sound, almost like when you have an EQ in line and you dial in too many artificial sounding highs. YMMV.

I just had a recent buffer situation that was causing me to hear unpleasant clipping. It was on two different boards. One board with a Boss TU-3W. The other board with a Boss CE-2W.

I don't know WTF is going on with the buffers in the Waza pedals. They suck. I have a Boss DD-7. No unpleasant harsh clipping. The TU-3W has a switch for TB or BP. I had it on BP. I decided to switch it to TB. Harsh clipping went away. I sold the chorus pedal because of the buffer.

Ive used a few in the past including Bonafide, Radial stage bug, and MXR MC406.
I preferred the MXR. Lots of good ones out there to choose from.

Back