best cameron CCV equivalents/approximations?

lovegun

Hi,

---
Background..
I hope this topic doesn't violate the manufacturer classification here since I'm basically asking about other makers, if so my apologies.

I live across the pond and my Cameron experience is limited to youtube video clips and the Salvation modded "Camerock" module egnater/randall mts system. The latter is supposed to be based off the CCV and is so stellar and inspiring to play, probably one of my most enjoyable amp-experiences ever.

I've owned most big name amps (mesa mark V, dual rectifier, Diezel Herbert and VH4, Marshall jvm, jcm800 etc ) so I'm truly starting to believe the CCV might be my cup of tea. Although in a small scale band I still spend most time playing at home, writing songs and practising which is why I need a CCV for home and studio use first and foremost.

-----
the essential..

I am frankly not willing to take my chances with Mark Cameron after reading all about the previous (and on-going?) turbulence and since the King/Rig-talk alternative doesn't offer any amps ATM (I would have bought a 230V version on the spot), here is my question;

I want a 230v (European voltage) Cameron CCV or something equivalent to a CCV channel 2, that is easily repairable if something goes wrong (no crazy mounted PCBs etc) and may very well come in a smaller package (lunchbox, eg 18 or 30W) although I can live with a 100W monster as well. What is my best bet?

A) stick to the Salvation Camerock (mts)?

B) go the Kemper/Axe fx route? Kempers are not that expensive over here, although I like analogue amps especially for song writing (inspiration and the feeling of crude organic tone)

C) Friedman? Can this get as mean as a CCV? I perceive them as a quality product, any CCVs built in the same facility?

D) Clean lunchbox amp (suggestions?) with what pedal?

E) Other alternative?

when you say you are across the pond Where are you located ?
Ive had the CCV 3 times one was the original run pre Brad and the others were from the Brad king run I thought the original pre Brad King version sounded quite different to the Brad era ones and it also had a different playing feel to the Brad era versions but both versions were good but I felt that they did not sound quite as close to authentic marshall tones as I would of liked and the playing feel was not at all like a real marshalls.
a friend of mine Darrcooper has also had a few CCV and the first one he owned was the ONLY CCV that I have so far heard that actually really sounded like a Marshall so I think the CCV can be very hit or miss. I think they are good high gain amps but not Marshall enough to my ears

for comparison I currently own JCM 800 Cameron modded High gain Jose which to my ears sounds much much better than any of the CCV I have so far owned or played and also the playing feel is much better than the CCV I owned, I would think it would be worth checking one out if you ever get the chance. My Cameron Jose has the proper marshall tones and Marshall playing feel for definite and is a superb amp.

I tried a friedman BE 100 recently and it did not sound or feel at all like the Cameron stuff but it was an excellent amp.

I also own a JCM 800 Dan Gower modded High gain Jose which is totally outstanding and it is I believe the same Jose circuit that John Sykes and Joe Holmes use, it certainly sounds like it and it is more than capable of sounding just like my cameron jose but it also does a whole lot more and the playing feel is absolutely superb even better than My Cameron Jose , if I could only keep one of my amps the Dan Gower Jose would stay
Dan gowers stuff is well worth checking out .

lovegun":2dutr1x9 said:
I am frankly not willing to take my chances with Mark Cameron after reading all about the previous (and on-going?) turbulence and since the King/Rig-talk alternative doesn't offer any amps ATM

There are no equivalents. You missed the boat.

I have a Salvation module too and its awesome! My best advise would be to stick with salvation mods. 1) get an m4 with 2 dual salvation CCV's and 2 Dual Salvation Atomica's. then pair it with your favorite power amp. Option 2 would be to send Salvation a marshall of some sort and have him make the preamp a CCV clone. That way, you can have the Salvation preamp and a poweramp that more similar to a CCV.

Ceriatone King Kong is supposed to be a CCV clone. It was made available to be ordered this week. No clips available yet.

I can stand by Ceriatone's build quality. It is good stuff! :thumbsup:

ha, ja,
well if the components are not the same and especially the trannies, forget about it !
ceritone's components are not equivalent.
Now, need the correct schematics also.
therefor not equal to the originals !
Just buy the real deal, amen.

jferla":2fnluqt2 said:
Ceriatone King Kong is supposed to be a CCV clone. It was made available to be ordered this week. No clips available yet.

I can stand by Ceriatone's build quality. It is good stuff! :thumbsup:

well, you know you're good and have made a good product when someone comes along and tries to build clones of your amp. mark must be proud.

You should also look up Lickliter Amps. He's a builder out of Florida, USA. Hand-built, sick sounding, quality. Better price point, too. He's on Rig-Talk, as well. There're a bunch of videos floating around here and youtube. Check it out :thumbsup:

I'm very curious about these amps. From the clips on YouTube they sound amazing. They seem to have that ease of play that friedman amps do.

Are the ceriatones actually good approximations of these? New to both of these amp manufacturers.

I own a few Friedman's and love, love, LOVE them! And while I don't own a CCV, I do own an Atomic and it is without rival and one of the most amazing hot rod Marshall style amps I've ever heard or felt. Forget the clones, try to find the real thing. Mark AND Dave's - for that matter - stuff is very special and are on a different plain than anything else out there IMHO.

I have tried a ton of amps and the Cameron CCV is the best amp i ever heard and played....Hands down :rock: :rock: I never heard any amp really sound like the CCV!!

H3000":2rw2s7jd said:
Ive had the CCV 3 times one was the original run pre Brad and the others were from the Brad king run I thought the original pre Brad King version sounded quite different to the Brad era ones and it also had a different playing feel to the Brad era versions but both versions were good but I felt that they did not sound quite as close to authentic marshall tones as I would of liked and the playing feel was not at all like a real marshalls.
a friend of mine Darrcooper has also had a few CCV and the first one he owned was the ONLY CCV that I have so far heard that actually really sounded like a Marshall so I think the CCV can be very hit or miss. I think they are good high gain amps but not Marshall enough to my ears

for comparison I currently own JCM 800 Cameron modded High gain Jose which to my ears sounds much much better than any of the CCV I have so far owned or played and also the playing feel is much better than the CCV I owned, I would think it would be worth checking one out if you ever get the chance. My Cameron Jose has the proper marshall tones and Marshall playing feel for definite and is a superb amp.

I tried a friedman BE 100 recently and it did not sound or feel at all like the Cameron stuff but it was an excellent amp.

I also own a JCM 800 Dan Gower modded High gain Jose which is totally outstanding and it is I believe the same Jose circuit that John Sykes and Joe Holmes use, it certainly sounds like it and it is more than capable of sounding just like my cameron jose but it also does a whole lot more and the playing feel is absolutely superb even better than My Cameron Jose , if I could only keep one of my amps the Dan Gower Jose would stay

Dan Gowers Rockmonster is really bad ass and is actually similar to the CCV. You have tons of usable bad ass gain, they have definition, clarity, and are punchy as hell and remain articulate. Those are the exact things I loved about the CCv. These are the only two amps I have played that do all of those really well. I have heard the BE100 do them well also but I have not owned one. Dan Gower is in the UK, look him up, you wont be sorry, he does AMAZING WORK!!!

mooncobra":3hpw0xjm said:
H3000":3hpw0xjm said:

Dan Gowers Rockmonster is really bad ass and is actually similar to the CCV. You have tons of usable bad ass gain, they have definition, clarity, and are punchy as hell and remain articulate. Those are the exact things I loved about the CCv. These are the only two amps I have played that do all of those really well. I have heard the BE100 do them well also but I have not owned one. Dan Gower is in the UK, look him up, you wont be sorry, he does AMAZING WORK!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As is the Killer Kali++ Sounds just as good as the CCV IMO. Glad the second run CCV thing fell thru or I would not of had the opportunity to own one of Dan's mods!!!

lovegun":17skm3bj said:
Hi,

---
Background..
I hope this topic doesn't violate the manufacturer classification here since I'm basically asking about other makers, if so my apologies.

I live across the pond and my Cameron experience is limited to youtube video clips and the Salvation modded "Camerock" module egnater/randall mts system. The latter is supposed to be based off the CCV and is so stellar and inspiring to play, probably one of my most enjoyable amp-experiences ever.

I've owned most big name amps (mesa mark V, dual rectifier, Diezel Herbert and VH4, Marshall jvm, jcm800 etc ) so I'm truly starting to believe the CCV might be my cup of tea. Although in a small scale band I still spend most time playing at home, writing songs and practising which is why I need a CCV for home and studio use first and foremost.

-----
the essential..

I am frankly not willing to take my chances with Mark Cameron after reading all about the previous (and on-going?) turbulence and since the King/Rig-talk alternative doesn't offer any amps ATM (I would have bought a 230V version on the spot), here is my question;

I want a 230v (European voltage) Cameron CCV or something equivalent to a CCV channel 2, that is easily repairable if something goes wrong (no crazy mounted PCBs etc) and may very well come in a smaller package (lunchbox, eg 18 or 30W) although I can live with a 100W monster as well. What is my best bet?

A) stick to the Salvation Camerock (mts)?

B) go the Kemper/Axe fx route? Kempers are not that expensive over here, although I like analogue amps especially for song writing (inspiration and the feeling of crude organic tone)

C) Friedman? Can this get as mean as a CCV? I perceive them as a quality product, any CCVs built in the same facility?

D) Clean lunchbox amp (suggestions?) with what pedal?

E) Other alternative?

Hi Lovegun! I gather you are in Europe. We do have some excellent builders here who is in the same class as Friedman and Cameron. Rig-Talks own Emaushenric is one. Among a lot of other things he does a great take on the José circuit. Search for his posts on the forum or check him out here:

http://emaushenric.benesser.se/

dude, go to dan gower, you cant lose, the rockmonster mod is ferocious, it is ccv-esque. also the kk++ rules!!

Back