Beveling picks....

egorillad

Hey, guitarists and such, anyone know how to bevel a pick in such a manner that it is natural? I notice that Dunlop ultex jazz 2.0 picks don't have a bevel thus being scratchy fresh out of the package. But once it finally develops some wear(after long use) it becomes a fantastic smooth pick that rivals any other model in my opinion. I'm just trying to find out how quicken the process without me sitting there for hours in a strumming frenzy. Anyone?

Get a Pick Maintenance Kit from Red Bear Trading Co. for $5. With some practice and experimenting you'll be on your way! Personally, I have found the bevel on the Jim Dunlop 205 to be the most amazing I have ever played. It's perfect for me. The pick glides through the strings like nothing I have ever experienced, and I try out new/different picks all the time. I got the Red Bear maintenance kit (along with their picks, which are really great) because I thougt it would be an improvement over sandpaper, and it is by a long shot. You can acheive a "factory finish" with the progressive steps. Check it out.

Red Bear info:

http://www.redbeartrading.com/cart/inde ... &ref=RBKIT

We designed this Pick Maintenance Kit to contain all the items you need to keep your Red Bear pick in top condition. There is a 240/400 grit file for shaping the edge, two buffing pads with three different grits to buff them. One pad has two different grits of fine abrasive for getting rid of the marks left by the file. The other pad has two identical sides and is used last. Everything is contained in a handy vinyl pouch that fits nicely in the pick compartment of most guitar cases.

Price:
$5.00

Jim Dunlop Picks info:

JD Jazztones™ Info

Accuracy and tone are two key elements we took into consideration when designing our JD Jazztones. Developed specifically for the jazz guitarist, JD Jazztones feature a super gripping surface, are non-flexible, great for speed, and have a precision contoured edge to ensure a smooth release.

Available with Round Tip, Point Tip, Medium Tip, Large Round Tip, & Large Point Tip

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/JD-Jazztones

Good Luck!

Funny you mention the dunlop 205 because I just ordered some and waiting for them to arrive. I was using the 208s for awhile because of their smooth point tip but they are just too big and cumbersome overall and i actually dropped them onstage twice(YIKES!). So I'm hoping the 205 might do the trick. I also have some red bears on order and since they have a long wait wont seem them for 6 weeks probably.

Cool, let me know what you think of them (& the Red Bear's) after you try them out. I think you'll really be happy with the 205's. Especially if you do a lot of economy/sweep picking.

The 205s are pretty smooth. I use them when my right hand is having trouble with my 3mm Dunlop little stubby. But, the 205 is definitely more scratchy then the Stubby. I do have to use a little 800 grit sandpaper on the edge of the Stubby to get rid of the casting flash from mismatched molds. I really wish Dunlop would improve their quality control. It's annoying to have to sand the edge of every pick I use and use a razor to put treads on the face of the pick to make it non-slip. I've used a couple of V-Picks with a huge bevel that are VERY smooth. I actually found them to be TOO smooth...they lacked bite. They glided across the strings very easily, but lacked the great, precise dynamics of the 3mm Stubby.

Still waiting for the 205s to arrive. Just been experimenting with the regular old jazz 3 reds and the dava jazz gel. I forgot how awesomely smooth and quick the dava is but I got to be less heavy handed with it because it has the flexing capability which is good and bad for certain things. Its made from the same polycarbonate material as the jazztones. I recommend them as well! Again its always nice to have that ability to adapt to another pick to give you that challenge of leaving your comfort zone.

The 205s arrived! I like! Its like a jazz 3 shape combined with the 208 smoothness. My only gripe is that it isn't as wide as a jazz3 so I did my heat the pocket knife trick, carve lines, and PRESTO instant grip! I'm gonna keep practicing with these till I get my red bears.

I like a couple of Gypsy Jazz picks that Wegen makes in Holland. They are designed for acoustic jazz played on Selmer style guitars ala Django but they produce a big round sound with their beveled edges on any guitar. I'm using their "twins" which are little bigger than a Jazz III and 250 MM thick (probably seems insanely thick and Unweildy but there are very precise).

Take your fresh pick, turn it in the "natural" way you'd like it to be shaped then drag it with some force across some carpet.

Its free and you can shape it to a SHANK if thats your style.

ctoddrun":2bzpquv2 said:
Take your fresh pick, turn it in the "natural" way you'd like it to be shaped then drag it with some force across some carpet.

Its free and you can shape it to a SHANK if thats your style.

Ultex material is too durable for the carpet trick!

Back