Bias Question: Just Bought My First Egnator Amp- Renegade 112 Combo

justDoug

So I'm a new convert, having picked up my first Egnator amp at a sale yesterday. Brought it home, opened it up to sniff around inside/give it the once over- found the only fault to be a loose 1/4" male ts connector on the speaker cable. Very interesting amp- I look forward to delving into the schematic. When I powered it up to check the bias, I found both pairs were biased well below normal; about half of the current expected. i checked online and found the USERS' MANUAL, and set the bias according to the included chart (will spend some time tweaking it later).

So I'm curious. Is anyone running their output tubes at that low of a bias setting (wondering if I'm missing something here)?

Edit: Also wanted to note that a small computer-type fan had been added to this combo. It was mounted on the speaker baffle, which made the whirring of the fan VERY NOTICEABLE. I've dealt with heat buildup in tube combos before. Rather than rely on a mechanical fan, my preferred method is to provide an escape route for the heat rising from the tubes to exit the chassis. With this amp, I was able to use spacers to create an opening where the rear edge of the chassis meets the cabinet.

Regards,
Doug

Last edited:
I saw a post that mentioned that the fan was added to solve an overheating issue with the power transformer, iirc. So, rather than unplug it, I'm going to relocate it...

So I'm a new convert, having picked up my first Egnator amp at a sale yesterday. Brought it home, opened it up to sniff around inside/give it the once over- found the only fault to be a loose 1/4" male ts connector on the speaker cable. Very interesting amp- I look forward to delving into the schematic. When I powered it up to check the bias, I found both pairs were biased well below normal; about half of the current expected. i checked online and found the USERS' MANUAL, and set the bias according to the included chart (will spend some time tweaking it later).

So I'm curious. Is anyone running their output tubes at that low of a bias setting (wondering if I'm missing something here)?

Edit: Also wanted to note that a small computer-type fan had been added to this combo. It was mounted on the speaker baffle, which made the whirring of the fan VERY NOTICEABLE. I've dealt with heat buildup in tube combos before. Rather than rely on a mechanical fan, my preferred method is to provide an escape route for the heat rising from the tubes to exit the chassis. With this amp, I was able to use spacers to create an opening where the rear edge of the chassis meets the cabinet.

Regards,
Doug
Hi Doug, I'm only used the Tweaker 15, which is Cathode biased. I understand that it's fairly common for stock bias to be a little low. The Renegade looks similar to the Rebel, where you're able to use two different types of power tubes. Pretty cool feature.

What tubes have you tried thus far? And do you like the stock speaker, or do you plan to swap it out?

Back