BKP Hi gain shoot out

grunge782

I wrote this up for a different post, but I figured this would be valuable to some people.

Options from BKP (all ceramic) that I have personally tried/owned/tested on different hi gain amps (Titan, Dual Rectifier, Sig X, Roadster, Invader, Savage, Powerball, Fireball, Herbert, E530, Blackstar). Like you, I fucking HATE the vagueness from descriptions.

Painkiller- 15 K High Saturation

A lot of people claim it to be "super" heavy. It's not THAT saturated on its own, but it does a great job taming the muddiness of some amps. It is very well defined, brutish and thick in the mids department. It has a great percussiveness to it with just the right amount of bite. The low end is very tight and everything feels in unison with your picking. When you play it plays, when you stop it stops. A "different" pickup with british flavor. This is why a lot of people love it with hi gain amplifiers. A lot of people like it for "thrash" and Tim thought it paired well in Mahogany for SYL tones.

Miracle Man- 17.5 K Very High Saturation

Out of the true heavy pickups that BKP offers, this is one of them. When I say heavy, I mean it makes your EMG's sound thin. Yes, thin. It is known for its low end, particularly its low mids. It is very heavy, but in the "open" kind of way not in the super mid aggressive part. The kicker is how it responds to fast licks with a bit less gain on the higher strings. It has a top end bite but still is very clear. It has a great metal character to it, smooth but with balls to it. Almost a "divine" metal quality to it . And yeah, itll shake your room with the chugga chugga like no other. I like it in Basswood. Mahogany might make it too low middy.

Warpig- 22K Very High Saturation

I'm sure you have heard a lot about this pickup already. It's the most aggressive pickup offered from BKP. The low end is very present, the mids get aggressive and the high end hits you quite nicely. It doesn't have that "smooth" quality to it like the Miracle Man and remains a bit tighter. The leads aren't "super" impressive on the higher strings but it still sounds great in the "modern metal" sense. The main combination here is aggressive power with clarity. The Painkiller has this somewhat rounded off percussive quality to it where it follows every note where as this remains percussive in a more "bitey" and crunchy way. If you play on a perfectly clean channel and hit the strings hard, you will get breakup. Basically, if you want the heaviest and meanest, this is the BKP that will fit that bill. Not too sure about woodtype, seemed to work well in Alder and Mahogany.

Nailbomb- 16k High Saturation

I didn't get much time with this pickup, but it is the versatile high gain pickup. It is pretty strange in that it is so flat in its eq range. Pretty much its a clean boost. It is organic sounding but some people don't like its lack of "identity". Good in a lot of different types of wood.

Take my opinions for what they are worth, but after listening to a lot of people's opinions on these pickups I became somewhat upset by parts of their representation.

If you can get your hands on a used pickup, go for it so that if you don't like it you can swap em without any real loss in cash.

If other people have different opinions, let me know what you think I got wrong.

In my experience:

Painkiller - scooped, scooped low mids, shitload of high mids, not high output in my book

Warpig - total opposite of the one above - lots of lows & low mids, scooped in hi mid area & then boost in the highs to bring some definition into it, lots of output

Nailbomb - more or less balanced sound, just right amount of output for a hi-gain pickup

No experience with Miracle Man

well I owned the miracle man for a long time, I do own a nailbomb set, and tried the painkiller and alnico warpig a couple times
I don't agree the last two are scooped in any midrange point
they're both very middy in the whole range
the painkiller has definitely less bass than the other ceramics, but still has a fair amount of low mids
the painkiller is very high output, but clean
the miracle man is a bit more compressed in the low mids, but still a very clean pickup compared to other brands ceramics, like the 500t or duncan distortion
it requires a bit more gain from the amp than those pickups, since it doesn't compress by itself
I didn't find the alnico warpig that aggressive, but it surely is compared the open clean and fat tone of the holy diver
it's like a fatter and slightly overdriven version of the nailbomb
I got a bit disapointed with the nailbomb as I expected something middy and fluid like the holy diver, but with more upper mid bite
it actually reminds me more of a cold sweat without the midrange grain and crunch, but fatter and more versatile
it's not scooped but no near as middy as people preach
more like neutral mids, a lot of volume and output for a 16k alnico pup and a bright top
tighest and punchiest alnico model I've played
I was looking for something smoother like the Diver is

The Holy Diver sounded like an uncooked Nailbomb to me with some weird mids & the neck had too much high end stickin out that sounded harsh for my taste.

I guess this thread helps! :LOL: :LOL:

nbarts":73zslfgk said:
The Holy Diver sounded like an uncooked Nailbomb to me with some weird mids & the neck had too much high end stickin out that sounded harsh for my taste.

I guess this thread helps! :LOL: :LOL:

I guess what you call weird, I call awesome :D
didn't find them similar
I'm thinking of replacing the nailbomb set with an afwayu + 2nd degree black belt and then buying another holy diver bridge + cold sweat neck for my other LP

best LP combos I've found so far:
cold sweat set for classic metal/hard rock/thrash metal
holy diver bridge + cold sweat neck for everything else AND the mentioned styles

Do you put yours very close to the strings?

I used to but recently increased the distance a tad, not sure if it's better though :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't like the Miracle Man until I put it in my McCarty Rosewood neck - this made a very tame and civilised guitar into a screaming beast with endlessly Phat tones.

Really cool for the chugga :rock: but in fact the first clip I recorded with it was Santana-like, here it is: http://www.netmusicians.org/files/92-santanesque.mp3

But dial in those mids and it crunches like no other!

hunter":2lj018v9 said:
Do you put yours very close to the strings?

I used to but recently increased the distance a tad, not sure if it's better though :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't like the Miracle Man until I put it in my McCarty Rosewood neck - this made a very tame and civilised guitar into a screaming beast with endlessly Phat tones.

Really cool for the chugga :rock: but in fact the first clip I recorded with it was Santana-like, here it is: http://www.netmusicians.org/files/92-santanesque.mp3

But dial in those mids and it crunches like no other!

Yes I do. What can I say, I like a lot of output :rock:

grunge782":2uitfbe8 said:
I wrote this up for a different post, but I figured this would be valuable to some people.

Options from BKP (all ceramic) that I have personally tried/owned/tested on different hi gain amps (Titan, Dual Rectifier, Sig X, Roadster, Invader, Savage, Powerball, Fireball, Herbert, E530, Blackstar). Like you, I fucking HATE the vagueness from descriptions.

Painkiller- 15 K High Saturation

A lot of people claim it to be "super" heavy. It's not THAT saturated on its own, but it does a great job taming the muddiness of some amps. It is very well defined, brutish and thick in the mids department. It has a great percussiveness to it with just the right amount of bite. The low end is very tight and everything feels in unison with your picking. When you play it plays, when you stop it stops. A "different" pickup with british flavor. This is why a lot of people love it with hi gain amplifiers. A lot of people like it for "thrash" and Tim thought it paired well in Mahogany for SYL tones.

Miracle Man- 17.5 K Very High Saturation

Out of the true heavy pickups that BKP offers, this is one of them. When I say heavy, I mean it makes your EMG's sound thin. Yes, thin. It is known for its low end, particularly its low mids. It is very heavy, but in the "open" kind of way not in the super mid aggressive part. The kicker is how it responds to fast licks with a bit less gain on the higher strings. It has a top end bite but still is very clear. It has a great metal character to it, smooth but with balls to it. Almost a "divine" metal quality to it . And yeah, itll shake your room with the chugga chugga like no other. I like it in Basswood. Mahogany might make it too low middy.

Warpig- 22K Very High Saturation

I'm sure you have heard a lot about this pickup already. It's the most aggressive pickup offered from BKP. The low end is very present, the mids get aggressive and the high end hits you quite nicely. It doesn't have that "smooth" quality to it like the Miracle Man and remains a bit tighter. The leads aren't "super" impressive on the higher strings but it still sounds great in the "modern metal" sense. The main combination here is aggressive power with clarity. The Painkiller has this somewhat rounded off percussive quality to it where it follows every note where as this remains percussive in a more "bitey" and crunchy way. If you play on a perfectly clean channel and hit the strings hard, you will get breakup. Basically, if you want the heaviest and meanest, this is the BKP that will fit that bill. Not too sure about woodtype, seemed to work well in Alder and Mahogany.

Nailbomb- 16k High Saturation

I didn't get much time with this pickup, but it is the versatile high gain pickup. It is pretty strange in that it is so flat in its eq range. Pretty much its a clean boost. It is organic sounding but some people don't like its lack of "identity". Good in a lot of different types of wood.

Take my opinions for what they are worth, but after listening to a lot of people's opinions on these pickups I became somewhat upset by parts of their representation.

If you can get your hands on a used pickup, go for it so that if you don't like it you can swap em without any real loss in cash.

If other people have different opinions, let me know what you think I got wrong.

I have your Painkiller and love it (my Harmony Central name is Wayne87mott). It is very full and fat but doesn't have a ton of low end which I love because I have a 6505 and an Orange 412 so I have wayy more low end than anyone could ever want. I set lows on 3, and resonance on 6 and rattle stuff all over. The Painkiller is really articulate and punchy too which I really like. My only problem now is the fact that I have a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck position and I need something a little more aggressive to pair up with the Painkiller. If I EQ for the Painkiller (bridge), the Dimarzio is muddy and boomy. If I EQ for the Dimarzio, the Painkiller is thin and harsh. I think I may go with a Cold Sweat for the neck position. Any input on that pickup for the neck position in a USA Deluxe Telecaster (modified for full size humbuckers)?

Wow that was a ramble

TramplinKids":1619kqyx said:
I have your Painkiller and love it (my Harmony Central name is Wayne87mott). It is very full and fat but doesn't have a ton of low end which I love because I have a 6505 and an Orange 412 so I have wayy more low end than anyone could ever want. I set lows on 3, and resonance on 6 and rattle stuff all over. The Painkiller is really articulate and punchy too which I really like. My only problem now is the fact that I have a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck position and I need something a little more aggressive to pair up with the Painkiller. If I EQ for the Painkiller (bridge), the Dimarzio is muddy and boomy. If I EQ for the Dimarzio, the Painkiller is thin and harsh. I think I may go with a Cold Sweat for the neck position. Any input on that pickup for the neck position in a USA Deluxe Telecaster (modified for full size humbuckers)?

Wow that was a ramble

Good way of putting the Painkiller. Its punchy, but in such a strong way, not thin at all. The midz make this pickup roar.

I just received a cold sweat for the bridge of my Basswood Ibanez. I'm going to wire it up tonight or tomorrow. Sorry I can't comment on how it would work in the neck, but I can tell you what the results will be for me.

I think Chris Broderick uses one in his neck.

As a BKP dealer, expert, and diehard user, I was surprised to find that I agreed with much of your original post. I often find loads of misinformation on forums about BKPs, so good job!

I will however strongly disagree with your statement on the Nailbomb. It most definitely does NOT have a flat EQ and it has loads of character. The NB has tons of midrange, punchy lows and just enough harmonics and bite. It sounds great in medium-to-bright guitars. In really warm guitars it can sound good but it also can be a bit too bottom-heavy (murky low-mids). It's a winner in the right guitar. Tons of British character and superb tone. It's really versatile too - great for metal but also rock *Matt Bellamy from 'Muse' uses these in all of his guitars).

To be fair to you though, you admitted you didnt spend much time with the Nailbomb. I've had them in a few guitars and installed countless others in customer builds, so I definitely am used to them. The NB isn't my favorite BKP but it's definitely in my top 5!

PS: You can get the NB in both alnico or ceramic configurations, which can yield very different results. The ceramic version obviously would work better in darker guitars due to its tighter bottom end and sharper highs.

nbarts":sqpu8ukp said:
In my experience:

Painkiller - scooped, scooped low mids, shitload of high mids, not high output in my book]

Haha, that's odd. Something had to be wrong with that one Kevin. The PK is CRAZY middy, definitely not scooped, and is very hot too. I wonder what happened there, definitely not consistent with the zillions of PKs I've heard :)

grunge782":1dvt9ud2 said:
TramplinKids":1dvt9ud2 said:

Wow that was a ramble

Good way of putting the Painkiller. Its punchy, but in such a strong way, not thin at all. The midz make this pickup roar.

I just received a cold sweat for the bridge of my Basswood Ibanez. I'm going to wire it up tonight or tomorrow. Sorry I can't comment on how it would work in the neck, but I can tell you what the results will be for me.

I think Chris Broderick uses one in his neck.

he used to have a nailbomb bridge/cold sweat neck, but he started using a cold sweat bridge/mule neck set before leaving nevermore

The Axe Palace":3s4j5q1f said:
I will however strongly disagree with your statement on the Nailbomb. It most definitely does NOT have a flat EQ and it has loads of character. The NB has tons of midrange, punchy lows and just enough harmonics and bite. It sounds great in medium-to-bright guitars. In really warm guitars it can sound good but it also can be a bit too bottom-heavy (murky low-mids). It's a winner in the right guitar. Tons of British character and superb tone. It's really versatile too - great for metal but also rock *Matt Bellamy from 'Muse' uses these in all of his guitars).

I also found that it sounded a bit too flat compared to all other bk models I had or played
I wish it had some midrange bump like the holy diver does

Haha, that's odd. Something had to be wrong with that one Kevin. The PK is CRAZY middy, definitely not scooped, and is very hot too. I wonder what happened there, definitely not consistent with the zillions of PKs I've heard

Yea, the guy I bought it from was a really suspicious fella. Might have sold me something else under Painkiller name. :LOL: :LOL:

My first BKP was a Cold Sweat that I had installed on a Schecter Omen (basswood) guitar that was stolen a couple of months back... I originally had a SD JB in the bridge and that pickup sounded like it had the lows and the highs cut off completely... nothing but mids... I was always fighting with it to get a decent tone out of it. Then I purchased a BKP CS (upon Nick and Tim's recommendation) and that sucker had tons of clean mids and low end... it opened up my sound a lot! Only problem was that it had very little in the highs... so my clean parts sounded very dark. High gain was awesome...

Well, I've always thought that my ideal pickup would have some of the characteristics of a pickup that is in the neck position. I love the thick, middy clean attack that you get from a SD Jazz in the neck position... or maybe that's what you get out of any pickup in the neck position. Well, I purchased a couple of Ibanez SZ320 guitars and was recommended to get a BKP Painkiller for it's mahogany body... well, I wasn't sure because I didn't want to have my sound be anywhere to what the BKP website said the PK sounded like ("Typically British in voice"). I vaguely remember not ever liking the Judas Priest's tone at all... very shrill. Anyhow, both Nick and Tim had the same recommendation on the CS for my stolen guitar and the PK for my newly acquired guitar(s). So I went ahead and had the PK installed after a long wait... (why do they take so long to get? The CS took 2 months to get and the PK took a little over a month) Anyhow, during my first practice my jaw just dropped at how clean everything sounded with the Painkiller. I must say that (for me) the PK may be the perfect bridge pickup because it gives me the aggressive bark of a pickup in the neck position sound but in the bridge position! It has the clearest highs and mids that I've ever heard on any of my guitars. I have an Axe-fx and when I was testing the BKP PK it just opened up amp sims that I've never liked (or gave a second look at) in the past. It's as if it allows the "amp's" true nature to come out. Crazy... my only gripe with the PK is that it really needs more low end to be the perfect pickup (for my setup). But I figure I can just crank the low end on the amp sim and/or pop in an EQ block and adjust to taste. All in all, I'm very happy with the Painkiller... I was just very weary that it would make me sound like Judas Priest... and it didn't. :D

I have a Nailbomb in the bridge of a bright guitar and I absolutely love it! (Swamp ash, maple/pao ferro neck, 25.5 scale) Just awesome, juicy effortless harmonics, very "alive" sounding.
Early 90's hair/glam whatever you want to call it. Lynch, Reb Beach, Vinnie Moore, that era of shredders it "nails" perfect.

Had a Cold Sweat in the neck of this guitar but did not like it at all. Very bright and harsh. I did put it in the neck of a very dark sounding STP Wolfgang and it's fine there.

Ended up with a Mississippi Queen in the neck. Awesome sounding P90 on a humbucker frame.

Building a mahogany hard tail Strat now, I have another Nailbomb to try in there and I will let you know how it works.

Can't say enough good about the Nailbomb bridge and MQ neck. Easily best pickup combo I've ever had in any guitar in 33 years of playing.

TeleBlaster":23a87m69 said:
I have a Nailbomb in the bridge of a bright guitar and I absolutely love it! (Swamp ash, maple/pao ferro neck, 25.5 scale) Just awesome, juicy effortless harmonics, very "alive" sounding.
Early 90's hair/glam whatever you want to call it. Lynch, Reb Beach, Vinnie Moore, that era of shredders it "nails" perfect.

Had a Cold Sweat in the neck of this guitar but did not like it at all. Very bright and harsh. I did put it in the neck of a very dark sounding STP Wolfgang and it's fine there.

Ended up with a Mississippi Queen in the neck. Awesome sounding P90 on a humbucker frame.

Building a mahogany hard tail Strat now, I have another Nailbomb to try in there and I will let you know how it works.

Can't say enough good about the Nailbomb bridge and MQ neck. Easily best pickup combo I've ever had in any guitar in 33 years of playing.

Hi Teleblaster!

Wanted to ask you some stuff about the BKP if you don't mind.

Here is the deal. I have a Goldtop Slash signature, which is pretty lightweight and on the trebly side. It doesn't really sound like a regular Lester...

I have a set of rebel yells and they are reaaaaally bright in there... I was thinking about replacing the set with another BKP. I am intrigued both by the nailbomb, holy diver AND the Mississippi queen which is a whole different sound really...

Can the mississippi queen stay tight and cope with some hard rock tunes. Does it go well with a bright guitar. And finally is the pickup noisy as are regular P90?

Thanks a million, much appreciate it.

Regards,
Nico.

I have a Jackson SL2H that came with Seymour Duncan's ( JB & Jazz ). The JB was great for rock a la AC/DC with a big spike in the high mids but i'm mostly a metal player and i found it really hard to balance the guitar with the alder body since it's so bright by nature. I've tried 5 different pickups combinations that i had with other guitars. But after a long search i took the HOLY DIVER match set, recommended by Tim at BKP. This is a match made in heaven, my guitar sound is unbelievable! It has a lot of output for metal stuff but it's full of harmonics and very natural. I was a EMG 81 player for over a decade and i will never go back at least with this guitar. Whatever amp i plug my guitar in now, sound great for everything, Rock, Blues, Metal, Jazz. For years i was all about output and underestimate balance in a guitar. I really like the harmonic flavor of the BKP, so if you need to fatten up a already bright guitar try the HOLY DIVER you won't regret it! Buy the way, it's not like EMG's you don't need to put them to close to the strings to get full output or it will make a squeaky sound when you it the strings.

Back