Boost recommendations for a LG Jose?

scriptphase

Figuring as how my LG Jose isn't moving, I might as well look into ways to make the amp work better for me. The amp sounds great and has a good amount of gain, but I miss the gain levels I could get from my old Aldrich.

Only pedal I have that could be used as a boost is an old, blue, 6-band MXR EQ. Great pedal for old VH, but really noisy. Right now I literally have no other OD/boost/Distortion pedals. Been playing a bunch of high-gain amps for the past several years and sold all my dirt boxes.

Used to have an old TC Electronic Booster + Line Driver & Distortion that wouldn't been perfect for this amp, but those are a little pricey now.

Any suggestions?

I honestly believe that any boost would work. Even the ultra cheap bad monkey would sound great. I used a tube screamer.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll probably just pickup a Boss SD-1, an MXR Micro Amp, or whatever I can find on the cheap.

Pulled the listing on eBay, here, and TGP. Played the amp four hours straight last night and I'm convinced it's a keeper if it can make me lose track of time like that. I'll just save funds for an Aldrich mod later. I'd been playing with the gains on both channels maxed, and not totally happy with the results, but last night I realized it sounds a lot better with the gain backed off. Jose MV on and up a bit, Vol.1 @ 3:00 and Vol.2 @ 11:00.

steve_k":14ikorra said:
Try running that EQ in the loop and stand back.

Tried that and it sounded really good. Had the amp at about rehearsal volume. Not a huge difference in gain that way, but a little more grind because it was pushing the power section more? Would be great as a solo boost, but that pedal doesn't have a footswitch. Not noisy at all compared to running the 6-band through the front.

50MkII":14ikorra said:
Are you looking to add a LOT more gain or just add some to the front end of it?

I was thinking a lot of gain when I posted this, but last night I tried a couple of Strats with higher output HBs (Duncan JB, Super Distortion) and the sound I want is there when I dig in with my right hand. I think I just need to goose it a little with a boost that doesn't add too much noise.

My old Aldrich had some cool things going on with it--crazy amounts of gain, a bunch of switches/tone options, and a low-end thump that was unreal for a 50-watter--but this amp sounds great in its own way.

scriptphase":secnehnv said:
50MkII":secnehnv said:
Are you looking to add a LOT more gain or just add some to the front end of it?

I was thinking a lot of gain when I posted this, but last night I tried a couple of Strats with higher output HBs (Duncan JB, Super Distortion) and the sound I want is there when I dig in with my right hand. I think I just need to goose it a little with a boost that doesn't add too much noise.

My old Aldrich had some cool things going on with it--crazy amounts of gain, a bunch of switches/tone options, and a low-end thump that was unreal for a 50-watter--but this amp sounds great in its own way.

I know you said on the cheap but for all those Jose users out there ... I strongly recommend this pedal http://www.jetcitymusic.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=89 . Probably more than might want to pay but definitely better than any BOSS pedal, SD-1, and micro-amp while taking the gain into the area you are talking about. Disregard the description of it being tube screamer-like and their demo I do not consider that accurate of what it is capable of sounding like through a Cameron Jose. It is a very Marshellesque sounding pedal through and through. That pedal is married to my Jose's. Signal total syncs up with the amps. Run volume between 11'-12:30, tone to your liking anywhere between 10:30-1:30, and gain around 2'.

50MkII":27mm1bi5 said:
I know you said on the cheap but for all those Jose users out there ... I strongly recommend this pedal http://www.jetcitymusic.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=89 . Probably more than might want to pay but definitely better than any BOSS pedal, SD-1, and micro-amp while taking the gain into the area you are talking about. Disregard the description of it being tube screamer-like and their demo I do not consider that accurate of what it is capable of sounding like through a Cameron Jose. It is a very Marshellesque sounding pedal through and through. That pedal is married to my Jose's. Signal total syncs up with the amps. Run volume between 11'-12:30, tone to your liking anywhere between 10:30-1:30, and gain around 2'.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it for sure. Yeah, seems like the pedal description is trying to cover a LOT of ground in the description:
-JRC4558 Opamp and Tubescreamer-ish
-more gain
-less midrange hump
-fizzy overtones
It's even listed as a fuzz elsewhere.
I don't doubt it's a great pedal. I've heard good stuff about Greer Pedals. I wonder if any of his dealers have a return policy.

scriptphase":2hjwp4wh said:
50MkII":2hjwp4wh said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it for sure. Yeah, seems like the pedal description is trying to cover a LOT of ground in the description:
-JRC4558 Opamp and Tubescreamer-ish
-more gain
-less midrange hump
-fizzy overtones
It's even listed as a fuzz elsewhere.
I don't doubt it's a great pedal. I've heard good stuff about Greer Pedals. I wonder if any of his dealers have a return policy.
Yes they do. You may not feel that you need it after you get that pedal though. Greer's pedals are great.

Try different preamp tubes like chinese higher gain ones. Try different speakers. Mine didnt like V30's

halebox":oj7synw9 said:
Try different preamp tubes like chinese higher gain ones. Try different speakers. Mine didnt like V30's

Thanks for the recommendation! I tried some Chinese 12AX7s and they made a significant difference in the amount of gain.

I currently have two 4x12s loaded with greenbacks. One has UK reissues (6402) from the '90s and the other has GB reissues from China.

Just got in a Majik Box Rocket Fuel pedal from here on the RT buy-and-sell. Don't know if the search is over, but what a great pedal...that thing makes even my 1986 spec sound gainy. :rock:

Back