Can a Strat style guitar cop LP tones?

yngzaklynch

My guess is no. But Mr Suhr I was wondering how close a Strat style guitar might get to sounding like a Less Paul. Ever try? How close do you feel you got and what woods did/would you use?

Jim

Tom anderson makes a shorter scale strat. Mahogany with maple top/ mahogany neck. i would say it wouldn't sound that far off.

yngzaklynch":1vkdri9s said:
My guess is no. But Mr Suhr I was wondering how close a Strat style guitar might get to sounding like a Les Paul. Ever try? How close do you feel you got and what woods did/would you use?

Jim

I would start with the traditional LP wood combo, mahogany body with a maple top in maybe a Tele shape leaving off any contours. 24 3/4 scale.

Bottom line is I love the LP tone and looks but I hate the way they feel. I hate the neck joint and not having belly and elbow cuts on a guitar that thick.

Maybe his korina guitars

The reason a LP sounds the way it does is due to how it's constructed. You can't get a true LP tone, without the set neck, 24.75" scale, etc. John has said that Basswood with a Maple cap is closer to a Les Paul than Mahagony in a Superstrat.

Some say even new LP's don capture that LP tone. Opinions vary. I have an 81 and 2012, they do sound different a bit, Motor City's in the old one. Not gonna get in to older = better BS. the new ones sound great and play sweet too.

I have never owned a super Strat that sounded like an LP, nor heard one on a disc, live, or at a jam session. If it existed there would be a long line to get them. I have a Suhr Custom Standard and Anderson Pro Am. The Anderson plays like a dream. Does not sound like a LP into a Marshall.

As mentioned earlier, I believe the body shape contributes to the tone. Check out a used G&L ASAT Deluxe. I found one obscenely cheap used. It has a mahogany body, maple cap, maple neck, rosewood plank, Duncan 59 & JB pups in it. Very LP sounding, not like a tele, which is the body shape. I'm thinking about putting some Motor City's in it for shits and grins. It comes with coil tapping switch too. It may work for you.

Back