Can someone explain the Hybrid?

cragginshred77

I still don't undestand how making the Power amp section voiced like the MC II gives it thaose upper mids. You would think it would be the pre amp section as it's responsible for gain voicng? In any case I do notice the ch 1 tone you hear in the below vid rhythym sections has much more mids. The amp can be dialed in as dark or as much forward mids as i want via the Contour and Sweep knobs.

The power section affects the overall "treble" response, so I wouldn't get too hung up on presence vs treble vs upper mids. There's a lot of overlap and those are all poorly defined terms.

The way presence/resonance knobs work is not the same as a traditional 3 band EQ in the preamp as well, so don't expect a presence knob to only add more high end frequencies above whatever the treble frequencies are on the amp.

I haven't played an MTL/hybrid before, but I'm assuming it follows general convention with amplifier design.

Just enjoy the fact you have a wizard amp, period. Dont let monkey mind get carried away, you will chase dragons and unicorns endlessly, play your amp and enjoy it, this is the secret to getting good tones because you master the knob freq and how they interact with one another.

A perfect example is John Petrucci, with his own JP2C, still to this day talks about new findings he discovers for tones etc. He even shared one on youtube about the mid knob above 12 o'clock giving more mkiv upper mid focus. Point being, he just plays it and learns it over time. I know it is not a wizard example, but the principal remains the same, i really think less is more and we over think it versus playing.

It's basically an MTL with less low end and more upper mids. Change the contour to a depth and you essentially have an MTL.
This ☝️. I had one for a week and it was just missing that bottom end. I sold it and bought back my my ol’ MCII with KT88’s.

Just enjoy the fact you have a wizard amp, period. Dont let monkey mind get carried away, you will chase dragons and unicorns endlessly, play your amp and enjoy it, this is the secret to getting good tones because you master the knob freq and how they interact with one another.

A perfect example is John Petrucci, with his own JP2C, still to this day talks about new findings he discovers for tones etc. He even shared one on youtube about the mid knob above 12 o'clock giving more mkiv upper mid focus. Point being, he just plays it and learns it over time. I know it is not a wizard example, but the principal remains the same, i really think less is more and we over think it versus playing.
We did a two hour gig last Friday night with a plugged in acoustic project that's going full electric now, totally different material than the rock band, and I ran my MC25 different than I ever have - all on the rhythm channel, channel boost engaged but gain backed way off. Occasionally hit it with a Keeley Katana V1, guitar volume rolled back too. Damn it sounded killer, and I've owned this amp (or an identical one) for over 4 years now and gig it 2x weekly. Ridiculously versatile amp.

Monkey mind is the best characterization ever. hopefully no offense to @Monkey Man. But you guys need to cool your monkey minds.
9zxR2lr.jpg

We did a two hour gig last Friday night with a plugged in acoustic project that's going full electric now, totally different material than the rock band, and I ran my MC25 different than I ever have - all on the rhythm channel, channel boost engaged but gain backed way off. Occasionally hit it with a Keeley Katana V1, guitar volume rolled back too. Damn it sounded killer, and I've owned this amp (or an identical one) for over 4 years now and gig it 2x weekly. Ridiculously versatile amp.
Good stuff my man. Does a soul good to see someone loving their gear.

Keep the videos coming and rock on @*velcro-fly*.

This ☝️. I had one for a week and it was just missing that bottom end. I sold it and bought back my my ol’ MCII with KT88’s.
Mine has plenty of lows. I add mids with the sweep and contour to CUT in a live mix and allow for the sweet harmoic structure that too much lows destroy.
I guess guys tune down and chug away at home which can be fun but never translates to a live mix well

In any case thanks for the replies fellas!

Back