Choosing a guitar

goingelectric

well...

I´ve tried a Les Paul, not that I´m any expert. I like em cus they look nice, and I´ve tried a tele, and it was easier to play than the LP.

I´m not a very skilled guitarist to be honest. But I like thick and warm tones.
not too heavy and raunchy. clean but thick, and when you need to go with crunch it has to be defined and able to break through.

some ppl say that they can sound like any guitarist with a 50watt combo from any manufacturer and any guitar, cus it´s in ur fingers.

bottom line, I don´t believe that shit.
Am I wrong?

And what is a beginners to little more advanced guitar?
I don´t wanna spend 4-500 bucks on a guitar that I will have to swap out in 6 months because it doesn´t play right, or something.

I´ve saved up some cash, and my budget is 1500 bucks. +/- 100 bucks.

I don´t have any effects or an amp either. so I would need that too.

My favorite guitarists are;
Adam Jones, Billy Howerdel, Slash, Robin Finck, Mikael Ã…kerfeldt, Gary More, Jerry Cantrell, Dave Navarro, David Gilmour and EONBLUE.

I can´t fucking stand Clapton, Page, Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani or any NEO guitarist that plays so fast that my brain doesn´t even get the chance to process the notes.

Thank you

You have SO many choices. If you liked the tele, but like thick LP tones maybe you should look into getting a tele with 2 humbuckers. Will be a compromise of the two and might make you happy.

As far as Clapton being a "NEO" shredder playing notes so fast you cant even understand..... im not gonna go there....

Stratboy151":cf0d0 said:
You have SO many choices. If you liked the tele, but like thick LP tones maybe you should look into getting a tele with 2 humbuckers. Will be a compromise of the two and might make you happy.

As far as Clapton being a "NEO" shredder playing notes so fast you cant even understand..... im not gonna go there....

I wasn´t refering to clapton as a neo player. and I hope you understand that. cus now you are insulting my "intelligence" :D hehe

I´m just saying I´m not a fan of his style. I prefer Dylan over him :)
I just like a certain simplicity to the guitar work. rather 2-3 layers with OK guitars than 1-2 layers of super advanced guitar... fuck... I dunno...

I guess I just like more heartfelt things...

btw, it was a stratocaster what I played, it was ey ok. it was a heck of a lot easier to play than the paul. a stratocaster I haven´t tried. Maybe I should.... + that they are way cheaper than the expensive pauls.... :S

but then again, they don´t look cool lol

then get a strat with 2 humbuckers. i believe they call them "Double Fat Strats". and speak for yourself, i think a strat looks plenty cool :wink:

strat pack?

anyone can sound like any guitarist, its just a matter of playing something correctly. tone is different and fingers do not affect tone, fingers affect the notes being played.

flying_high":cbf79 said:
strat pack?

anyone can sound like any guitarist, its just a matter of playing something correctly. tone is different and fingers do not affect tone, fingers affect the notes being played.

that´s what I´m saying... I don´t care about the fucking correctly...
I care about the tone!
I couldn´t give a rats ass about playing other ppls stuff correctly.
as long as I can play my own stuff in the tone I want and like

goingelectric":ddf6a said:
that´s what I´m saying... I don´t care about the fucking correctly...
I care about the tone!
I couldn´t give a rats ass about playing other ppls stuff correctly.
as long as I can play my own stuff in the tone I want and like

thats like saying "i dont wanna learn to read, i just wanna buy the books that i like". and btw if you dont wanna learn, why are you in this area of the forum?

Stratboy151":64e57 said:
thats like saying "i dont wanna learn to read, i just wanna buy the books that i like". and btw if you dont wanna learn, why are you in this area of the forum?

sorry... :? that came out wrong....
yeah well... I ado agree, and yes, I want to learn. :)
I´m just an idiot sometimes.

What Stratocaster or Telecaster should I get then?
What´s the model with dual humbuckers? and how much do they cost?
what should I look out for?

goingelectric":015a6 said:
what should I look out for?

you should look out for a strat or tele with dual hums!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Showmaster-Flame-HH-Guitar-?sku=511334

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510474

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HH-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=511336

etc..

thank you, I don´t like that tremolo or whatever it is... that bar... :p
I like the black one though, alot! =) nice price too...

how are Tokais? are they any good?
Tokai Les Paul copy.... and can I set up the guitar so it´s easier to play?

goingelectric":bf8e4 said:
thank you, I don´t like that tremolo or whatever it is... that bar... :p
I like the black one though, alot! =) nice price too...

how are Tokais? are they any good?
Tokai Les Paul copy.... and can I set up the guitar so it´s easier to play?

tokai's are nice, i dont think they are all that cheap anymore tho.

if you dont have an amp or a guitar i really suggest sticking with a premade "pack", esp makes one now if you are into their f series look. why do you want humbuckers?

also you need to take your guitar to a tech to set up.

flying_high":eba42 said:
if you dont have an amp or a guitar i really suggest sticking with a premade "pack", esp makes one now if you are into their f series look. why do you want humbuckers?

also you need to take your guitar to a tech to set up.

cus they sound warmer?

Stratboy151":707b9 said:
that doesnt necessarily mean better.

to me it does....

ESP? signature, ex and ec series was cool :)
the f-series I didn´t like..... :)

EC-1000VB looked cool, what are the pros and cons with active pickups?

Sounds to me like you prefer thinner necks and a longer scale. I'd say (by the bands/players you listed) you would benefit from a humbucker with coil shunt/tap (this means you can flick a switch or pull up the tone pot and it turns your humbucker into a single coil).

So for an affordable guitar that does all this, I would look into Schecter, I have a 006 delux (no coil tap, but easy enough to get installed) and my bassist bought the model up from this (she's a guitarist) and I love both guitars, and I like hers because I can use the shunt for slightly over driven stuff than go into humbucker mode for the heavy.

Check them out at http://www.schecterguitars.com/ they have some interesting shapes and are made in Korea (I think) so are fairly cheap.

As for an amp, well I dunno realy, if you have the cash try and get an all tube combo (maybe the Peavey Valveking) this will give you a much warmer tone, and if you like that warm tone stay away from active pickups like EMG's.

Hope that helped :)

Edit: I just noticed your question about actives. This is all my opinion but I think it's a generaly agreed thing. Actives seem to be a love or hate thing. I personaly hate them. I find them sterile, every guitar with actives in them sound the exact same to me, I feel like it's this kind of almost digital sound. I prefer passive pickups they sound alot more organic to my ears. Also actives are known as GIGO p'ups (garbage in, garbage out) so basicly what you play is exactly what you hear.

The pro's, they have a pre-amp in the guitar which realy boosts your signal, this drives your amp alot harder and gives alot more edge and crunch to your sound. They are very good for metal aplications.

The only way to know if you like them is to play actives yourself, if it's in a shop then play them again a few days later, I find this gives me a much better view on a product.

Now.......time to make some bacon.

I'll agree with a Schecter, or even an Epiphone. Stay away from the cheaper LTDs (basicly if it doesnt have active EMGs, stay away).

But you should check out the PRS SE line. GREAT guitars for the money. Really nice to play. I might order a singlecut.

ptrbksexx.jpg

or

gt_sestandardblack.jpg

Both go for $500.

Back