Dave, is this possible?

bstaley

My rig is similar to the one you are building currently for Brad. I have the following:
Egnater M4
Mesa Triaxis
Axe-FX
Axess GRX4
Mesa High Gain Amp Switch

I use the GRX4 to switch a MXR Phase 90 in/out of the path before my preamps. The Axe is currently used just for FX, via the rear input. Signal is as follows:
Guitar >> Rack Wah >> GRX4 >> Mesa Amp Switch (for M4 or Triaxis) >> Axe-FX rear input.

Everything works fine, but I want to be able to use the Axe-FX as a 3rd preamp. If I use the 3rd channel of the Mesa Amp switch and simply jump a cable from input to output to let the sound go right to the Axe it doesn't sound right through the rear input. It sounds muffled and has less gain. I assume this is because that input is expecting line level and is only getting instrument level. If I run into the front input of the Axe it sounds fine using the Axe as a preamp, but it sounds noisy with my other preamps. I assume this is because they are line level outputs and the Axe is expecting instrument level.

Is there a better way to run this, considering the switching tools at my disposal?

Thanks

What you need to do is take the send of 3 and feed the front of the axe and then come out of axe 2 output back to 3 return. The out of the amp switcher feeds in 2 of the Axe and then you use your main outs #1 to feed the poweramp/house or whatever. Now you need to put the effect loop block in all you presets and the preamp models go before the effect loop block everything else after. By doing this you now have a preamp and a effects processor. Dave

Dave I was able to finally try this tonight and it works great. On my patches where I use the M4 or Mesa as the preamp I have to insert the Effects Loop before all my other blocks so I've got some programming to do in my patches, but it is great having another preamp added to the arsenal. Thanks for the help!
:rock:

Back