Desending help

locoed

Anybody have advice? While I'm doing scales and what nots,I don't have a problem asending,like starting with my index finger from the first fret and ending with my pinky on the 4th fret,but when I start with my pinky and go backwards it sounds choppy,anybody know of an exercise that will make descending easier and make my hand stronger?
I've tried alot of different exercises and nothing seems to help.

I know it's boring, and said over and over again.... But do scales (3 notes per strings) start VERY slow with a metronome.

or try the famous 1-2-3-4- , 4-3-2-1 and variations on each strings

When I descend a scale, I tend to notice a short delay when I go to a lower string, it's a PITA to work :doh:

similar issue

My teacher had me practice doing the 4.3.2.1 drill starting at the 12th fret or any old place comfy on the e, then move to the 11th fret on the b string and do the 4.3.2.1, 10th on G. But the thing that made the diff was to think on moving my index finger instead of the pinky, the next one to finger a fret. Sounds odd.... but it helped. In my mind, I had the hand anchored on my index finger. I have gradually started to get it when he talks about seeing your hand as a 'ball of energy' hovering over a 5 fret span, with no particular finger or confining box pattern. Similar to how Satriani talks about it. It was all in my head. The old way my brain had to raise anchor and move, the new thinking is a rolling ball versus a spot in a block. I have no way perfected this but am making progress.

Share back on what works.....

Back