Diezel VH4 / Diezel Hagen - Reviewed / Compared - P1

angelspade

Hey guys. After acquiring a 2022 Diezel VH4 and Hagen this week, I thought that I would post my own (highly subjective as always) review and comparison. For context, here are some of the amps that I own / have owned over the years: Mesa Triple Rectifier, Mesa Triple Crown, Mesa Mark III Red Stripe, several Peavey 5150s (mod and stock), EVH 5150 Stealth 100 6L6, modded Marshall JCM 800, Marshall JVM, KSR Colossus, VHT Pitbull, Rivera K-TRE, Koch Supernova, Diezel Herbert MK I, 2004 Diezel VH4, Diezel D-Moll, and ENGL Powerball. Also it may be important to understand that I am primarily a hard rock and metal rhythm player. I am not competent enough of a lead player to properly evaluate these amps from that perspective. Also, I run the front end gain on most amps higher than many players and I almost never uses a boost. Please keep in mind, I have only been in possession of these amplifiers for a few days so these are only my initial findings. That said, I do feel like I have them dialed in to my tastes and have tried them both with several different guitars with different pickups.

VH4

The VH4 is exactly what I expected with the exception that I had not tried the most updated version. As I mentioned in a previously post here, I greatly prefer the most recent updates (not certain when they made the changes). I know that the VH4 updates over the years have been described as "minimal", but I have to say that it seems there's a fairly noticeable difference. This 2022 VH4 is definitely seems brighter. It also feels more present, a bit less compressed and more aggressive overall. Maybe my ears are deceiving me, but I don't thinks so.

Channel one on the VH4 is very solid and usable. It is a bit "stiff" in a certain way but is overall very pleasing if you like a direct and forward sounding clean that delivers exactly what your hands and guitar puts into it. With the gain pushed you will get some nice break up, but I strongly prefer this channel pristine. While backing off the treble and presence is effective, people looking for a softer, more gentle sounding clean with some "bounce" would be better served to look elsewhere (or use some effects) in my opinion.

VH4 channel two is fantastic. I love the way this channel breaks up with the gain at noon and up to around three o'clock. a really sharp and cutting tone that has this broad, authoritative crunch to it that is just awesome to experience. It is a pretty dry and grainy sounding channel, but in the best possible way (if that makes any sense). Just so much character in there. This channel seems to have more available gain that I remember from my earlier VH4. And it's still surprisingly responsive and dynamic, even with the gain maxed out. Everything inside of me just wants to turn this channel up and dig in on AC/DC, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, and Bad Company riffs. Dime that gain, push the treble and presence a touch and you are heading towards Sabbath and 80's metal territory for sure. This channel is just so fun to play, period.

How much more needs to be said around here about channel three on the VH4? I have owned and played a lot of amps over the years and this still seems to be the most totally unique sounding high gain tone available on the market (including other Diezel models). There is a reason that some of the most discriminating high gain players that have immediate access to everything (Jones, Bellamy, Hetfield, Corgan) have relied on the VH4 channel three. After I sold my VH4 in 2009, the sound of this channel haunted me, I couldn't shake the memory of its tone and feel. I am running the gain here at about two o'clock, fairly conservative EQ, but with the presence pushed pretty hard at lower volumes for some extra "sting" and bite on the palm mutes. Deep and thick low end, yet tight and extraordinarily punchy. Complex and three dimensional sounding midrange with a totally unique character and searing top end that never sounds harsh or buzzy. Really balanced and full sounding across the spectrum, more so than any other amplifier I can think of. Unmatched clarity for a high gain approach. I have once again been reminded to believe the hype around this channel, it's real.

Channel four on the VH4 is a big surprise to me. This is another channel that seems significantly different than I had remembered it from the earlier version. Previously. I had to work really hard to get a good aggressive, modern hard rock rhythm sound out of this channel. Not the case any with this VH4. I have this EQ on this channel just a bit more scooped than channel three, gain pushed up to three o'clock and presence pushed to about 2 o'clock. I am really having fun with the tones I am getting here for modern riffing. It's a bit more saturated, and feels a touch smoother by comparison to channel three, but still a decisively "clean" and controlled sounding gain structure, even at fairly absurd gain levels. I spent very little time here on my previous VH4, but am really enjoying the tones on this version. Maybe the updates made the difference? Maybe my tastes have changed? A little of both is the most likely scenario. Either way, I am digging Channel four now.

HAGEN

The Hagen's channel one is very good for a high gain amp, plain and simple. Still touch sensitive and dynamic, but softer and rounder than you might expect from a Diezel. There's elements here of that piano like bounce that many prefer. With the gain at nine o'clock the tone is completely clean with excellent clarity. Go to to the neck pickup and experience a magnificent clean sound compared to most amps in this class. The Hagen's clean will start to grow some hair with gain at noon, and the feel of this channel opens up nicely. Push the gain and things begin to warm up for bluesy chords and runs. A world class, highly versatile clean by any standards.

Similar to the VH4, channel two on the Hagen is full of tonal surprises. Slightly overlapping with the clean channel, this channel takes you from a gritty break up all the way to hard rock, maybe even classic metal and everything in between. I am certain that it has more available gain than the VH4's second channel and it's not as tight, immediate or urgent sounding. It's also significantly wetter and "colored" sounding and feeling. Not as neutral as the VH4, but perhaps even more versatile to a certain degree. All around great channel that covers A LOT of ground, and does so convincingly.

Channel three on the Hagen is where things really get heavy. The emphasis here feels like it sits in the low mids tonally and there is a very present, glassy sizzle floating on top of palm mutes that starts to jump out on this channel. Power chords crunch with a weight and aggression rivaling some of the more traditionally "angry" metal amps on the market while still presenting as musical with plenty of Diezel character. The entire gain sweep is completely usable and this channel excels at hard rock and metal rhythm playing. Again, the weight of the low mids here is really pronounced when the gain is pushed. Setting much past noon, I feel like the mids begin to feel a little "crowded", the frequencies start to run into each other and sound a bit blurry in a sense. While I can really push the mids on the VH4, the Hagen seems to favor them at around 11 o'clock. I like the gain pushed on this channel with plenty of treble and presence to highlight that aforementioned crunchy sizzle in the high top. As with channel two, it's not at tight or immediate as the VH4, but plenty tight enough for aggressive hard rock and metal playing. Also the overall gain is not as clean, refined or dare I say unique as the VH4. The Hagen is rougher, meaner and it's a far more familiar and traditional take on that signature Diezel channel three sound.

The Hagen's channel four is quite similar to channel three. It does seem to have more gain, and it might be a tad brighter and more inherently aggressive. Similar to the VH4, I like this channel a little scooped out. With the mids at about 10 o'clock there's still plenty of fullness in the body of the tone, but there is excellent clarity and attack. Frankly and simply put, this channel just feels "all out metal" to me in a way that the VH4 can't seem to reach. The sizzle that I mentioned previously is even more pronounced on this channel, which I like. I find myself only wanting to play the most aggressive modern metal riffs (and even rip a few rare lead runs) sitting on channel four. It's my favorite channel on the Hagen right now and I spend a lot of time here just riffing away. While there is a very noticeable variance in tone and response in the VH4 channels three and four, the Hagen's three and four are far more similar in my opinion. Not a bad thing in terms of layout, particularly for a dedicated rhythm player like myself.

Last edited:
Back