Duncan Perpetual Burn vs bare knuckle Rebel Yell

I mostly play my Diezels and they can take a bright PU.
vintage output bridge singles can get a bit much with my V30s though or is to drastic of a change if you also play Humbuckers.
But in general i tend to use brighter PUs, since i can still use the tone knob to a certain degree.

Not really interested in any other PU from Bareknuckle right now (other than the RY).

The Custom 5 was a bit dry with a big lowend. I will try it again, but it was very uninspiring with the guitar (especially for lead work) i had it in (same guitar that currently features the Jazz).
I have one (lean bass, almost honky mids, soft top), where i think it will work fine, but in this the Duncan SH-1 59 actually work really well and i kind of wanna leave it as is.
Did you kinda like the custom 5? I love the custom custom. That’s an alnico 2. The eq curve isn’t as scooped with just the right amount of output. It’s my go to pickup.

No. The PB has a nice eq curve. The RY can be bright as f-ck at times. Say in a guitar with ss frets. Hope you like twang brother lol.
The PB is a great pickup just not the hottest. More like a Frankenstein or weaker custom. All depends on what you like and want. I’m simply explaining my thoughts on the two pickups you asked about.
so how would you describe the EQ curve of the PB if it's not like a JB...
i know get the feeling it's more of the kinda scoopish EQ.

Did you kinda like the custom 5? I love the custom custom. That’s an alnico 2. The eq curve isn’t as scooped with just the right amount of output. It’s my go to pickup.
in the guitar i had it, not really. It was fine/kinda cool for rhythm but something was missing for leads. Of course you can always raise the gain to make it more fluid, but there are definitely other PUs out there, where the notes pop out easier and i don't get the fighting feeling. The demon can be similar in that regard, but i love the rhythm a lot, so i am willing to compromise on the leads.

had the SH-11 custom custom briefly, that was before i knew anything about mag swaps.
It came in a 24.75" LP style guitar. All i remember: it was not exactly tight and kind of packed with mids, but not necessarily the cutting high mids. I think with the Diezel it was too bloated.
In a skinny superstrat with a marshall, maybe...

to me the jb has a top end spike. The PB does not. If you like the demon but want it a little hotter then you’ll like it.
I also think the jb works great for rhythm and leads. So?

To me the JB doesn't have much true highs, but it has a big upper mid spike. But where that spike actually sits depends on the cable used and other stuff...
Still have one and will try it again some day, but than i figure i probably will like the Rebel Yell more.

You pretty much sold me on the PB with the demon "reference"! It's also the least expensive one and so the least money is wasted in case i sell it.

But i will wait and hope @VHTStark comments on the S-Deco. He got me really curious again.

doesn't have to be like a JB. although i agree it often is described that way.

Funny you mention the S-deco. That's a PU i am interested in since years. from what i read it's close to a demon? but a lil fuller and warmer?
i never came around ordering a custom shop PU. It's a hassle outside of the US.
You prefer the S-Deco to the Rebel Yell?

watered down custom also doesn't sound bad to me, since i think the big lowend of the SH-5 is kind of overkill and the top end is a bit 'ceramic'
Hey!

Ya, that description of the S-Deco is actually pretty accurate. I would say that description applies to the A5 version. A2 is a bit warmer and chewier (but still tight...tighter than a Custom Custom), but less chimey in the top end. An A8 version was my favorite: feel and mids like the A2 version, but lots of juice/output. The Deco is a wind like the Custom that takes magnet changes super well!

Yes, I would take an S-Deco over a RY. I have owned a bunch of Decos over the years and loved them all. Absolutely in my top 3 aftermarket pickups I have purchased. The downside: they are a Custom shop offering and are expensive.....and you don't see many pop up used!

Hey!

Ya, that description of the S-Deco is actually pretty accurate. I would say that description applies to the A5 version. A2 is a bit warmer and chewier (but still tight...tighter than a Custom Custom), but less chimey in the top end. An A8 version was my favorite: feel and mids like the A2 version, but lots of juice/output. The Deco is a wind like the Custom that takes magnet changes super well!

Yes, I would take an S-Deco over a RY. I have owned a bunch of Decos over the years and loved them all. Absolutely in my top 3 aftermarket pickups I have purchased. The downside: they are a Custom shop offering and are expensive.....and you don't see many pop up used!
Thank you very much.
yeah sounds really good. It's not more expensive than a rebell Yell.

Back