Egnater Rebel 20 static when turned on.

MikeMc

I recently purchased an Egnater Rebel 20 from eBay, upon receiving It i plugged it in and flipped it on and was greeted by some lovely static noise. As the amp warmed up, the static fades. I am pretty inept when it comes to amp, but wanted to hear from experienced individuals on what may be causing this.

Here is a link to the youTube video that demonstrates my issue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7k1V2yh8yY

I did go ahead and open up the back to see if any of the tubes had been loosened during shipping, I reseated them all and it still has the same issue.

I was surprised to find the EL84's are chinese made tube, and I am pretty sure that these are not stock to the amp.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    878.3 KB · Views: 1,199
Mike, you can try gently tapping the tubes one at a time and see if it gives you anything better or worse. Sounds like a tube issue though. I bought my Rebel 20 about four years ago and it came with JJ's. It's never given me any problems. Mine doesn't get a lot of play time anymore because I started building my own amps and I just like them better, Not that the Rebel sounds bad, I just went back to combo's.

Sounds like a bad preamp tube and those el84s were not stock. From what I remember, the tubes would have "Egnater" stamped on the glass.
There's 3 12ax7 preamp tubes, which one of those is most likely where the noise is coming from.

Following up in case anyone else runs into this issue...

Turn's out this was indeed the cheap EL84 Chinese tubes, I swapped them for some JJ EL84's and this resolved the issue immediately.

Back