Einstein channel one mode 3 stopped working - solved

RG955TT

My einstein was working fine until tonight. Channel one mode 3 (mega I think) has stopped working...sounds the same as mode 2 Texas. I flipped the switch several times, opened her up and don't see anthing wrong. I do have the switch mod on mine but doesn't change the sound from texas by either the footswitch or the front panel switch. Any ideas would be appreciated. I miss that awesome crunch already! Thanks

Sounds like it could be a bad tube. I would try swapping out V1 with a new one.

Preamp-Tube-Layouts

all models: V1 is always closest to the input jack (looking from the back of the amp on its right side)

Einstein:
V1  Used by both channels
V2  Used by channel 2
V3  Used by both channels
V4  Mixer & Loop Driver
V5  Return Driver
V6  Phase Inverter
V7 (just combo) Reverb (12AT7)

Thanks, I tried replacing V1 and V3, still no change from mode 2 to mode 3. I hear a relay clicking (or multiple) when going from mode 1 to mode 2, but no noise (clicks) when going from mode 2 to mode 3...could it be bad relay causing this?

Thanks Peter. That doesn't sound like something I can fix. I'm in the US ourside of Chicago are. Can you put me in touch w/U.S distributer for repairs? I wouldn't mind having the whole amp checked out. If you recall I was the one going thru a lot of power tubes (redplating) Thanks very much.

Can You check the switch first.

It should have contact with the middle pin
in the upper and lower position.

Thanks,

Peter

I assume you mean the front panel switch? Wouldn't the remote switching I have (foot switch mod for the 3 modes) eliminate this as a possibility? I keep the front panel switch in the middle position to use the remote switching.

Peter, I checked the switch and it functions properly- makes contact in either the up or down position between the middle to the correct contact, either upper or lower. Should I hear a relay when going between mode two and three because I don't? You can clearly hear it or them going from mode one to mode two.....Thanks

Bob

Still looking for help with this. I am seriously bummed that my amp is now missing one of it's most awesome tones. I spend 70% of my time in channel one mode 3 so this is seriously a problem for me. Has anyone else ever had this issue? What to do next???

I don´t know if the extern switching is ok.

Please send me Your address to:

peterdiezel (at) diezelamplification (dot) com

Thanks again Peter. For anyone who wonders about the Diezel experience, Peter has helped me out greatly and way above what I've ever experience with the singular exception of John Suhr, who also steps up and takes great care of his customers! Thanks again Peter and Happy New Year to all on this forum! :rock:

Peter sent me the two chips which are socketed, replaced them both and all is well as far as this part of thing goes. Thanks to everyone for their assistance, especially Peter Diezel!

Back