ENGL INVADER 100 & G MAJOR 2

Mike_Rock

Greetings,

Being an Engl fan and user for a while (i owe an old Engl Rackhead 850 2x35w), i recently got an used Engl Invader 100w. Seller retubed it with groove tubes (chinese ones) and JJ preamp (not sure about which ones). Anyway, sound is amazing, even the clean which is usually reviewed with mixed opinions, rocks with my PRS Standard 22! I have a Diezel 2x12 frontloaded with vintage 30.

My basic rig is: prs standard 22 > dunlop dcr wah > engl invader (with the gmajor2 in the loop > diezel 2x12.

I control everything with the behringer fcb1010, except the wah, although i have a engl z9 and im looking forward to get another midi controller in the future. I also have the EHX Hog which i want to use but I haven´t test it with the inVader yet, first let´s sort this gmajor2 hiss issue.

Anyone had trouble finding the best setting for the Loops A/B? Of course the culprit might be the effects unit but I can use my old boss gx700 or the TC G Major 2 with the Engl Rackhead without any hiss or background noise whatsoever.

I´ve been reading both manuals (Engl invader and Gmajor2), trying to find what are best options in order to preserve the sound and at the same time get the most of the effects, mainly the delays, reverbs and chorus.

Gmajor2 claims it works best in SERIAL with InVader loop set to SERIAL (means the knob gets set full clockwise, or 100%), i get the most of the effects but the background noise is unbelievable! so many hiss (shhhhhhhhhhh..)

with PARALLEL in gmajor 2, i can get a more decent sound, setting the inVader knob just a little above 0% (say, below 9 o'clock). Background noise is almost gone, but the volume seems dropped (i need to work on the gmajor settings for this, global and preset settings).

Perhaps I cannot let the gmajor near the amp? Perhaps there is some output level somewhere in the gmajor is too high. Maybe something else?

Any thoughts? thanks!

Mike Rock

Back