ENGL Powerball II LOVE???

Yeah I am getting my engl cab in a few days and a Cameron CCV arriving tommorow, it is going to be interesting to hear both those amps at the same time
I wish I had this gear back in the 80s I would have head straight for the Sunset Strip!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

ShredBaron":xr6stitb said:
I just got my POWERBALL 2 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

It is one awesome amp, very articulate and clear, gain is very useable, good clean sound, good crunch sound, great metal rhythm and lead, and I dig the mid boost and low end button, it has a very unique sound, and falls somewhere between a high gain 80s metal and 21st century metal tone, but could be used for rock and pop as well.
The only bad thing is I am still waiting for my Engl Cab with Vintage 30s and I only have a Mesa cab with g 75 celestions and it just does not sound as good with them as the vintage 30s

Congrats on the Powerball II, I love mine! A really fun amp to experiment with different preamp tube combinations as well

I've been curious how the powerball ii stacks up against the JVM. Anyone have any experience?

halomojo":3w2ub822 said:
I've been curious how the powerball ii stacks up against the JVM. Anyone have any experience?
I've had them both. I really liked both of 'em.

My JVM was modded by Voodoo to tame the noise and make the cleans a little sweeter, but the base JVM is a good amp.

I preferred the PBII because along with classic metal, I play modern as well. The PBII can get that mean, aggressive gain, but can also do classic crunch. The JVM has tons of gain, but doesn't get the modern, edgy gain of an Engl.

I have tried a Powerball II and honestly preferred the Powerball I. Maybe it was the tubes? But the powerball II sounded slightly more fizzy and muddy to me.

Sounds weird, was it a new or used one? Probably a tube issue. Honestly should be the other way round. New version is much stiffer and less muddy.

Back