First post! Powerball II is in my sights

RegBeach

Hey everyone,
New to the board. Been looking at powerballs for a year or so and now I am very close to pulling the trigger. I have been playing peavey the past 10 years. Started with a xxx and upgraded to the jsx. Now it's time to step into the next tier.

My guitarist bought a bogner twin jet and it makes my jsx sound like a pod. There's no where I can try the powerball where I live so I'm trying to do as much research as possible: The YouTube reviews and other opinions from people online. My band plays old school thrash in D standard and I mainly use an ESP Eclipse with Duncan 59(bridge) and jazz(neck)straight in to the head.

Any opinion here would be greatly appreciated.

Do you play leads at all? or want to integrate it with an effects unit? if so, then youre going to have to fork over an extra 300 bucks for the external midi unit. There is no way to turn on/off the effects loop either which sucks. I used to own one, and my guitarist currently owns one. It is a great amp, however limited in that aspect without adding more money on top of the 2500 bucks. if you just play rhythms, then you wont have any issues at all. Have you tried the ENGL Blackmore? or the Savage 120? those are the ticket for thrash imo. Cut through the mix like a knife through butter.

Took the plunge and got the powerball last week. Took it up to the studio Saturday night to mess around. Everything I imagined. Great cleans for a high gain head. The crunch sounds awesome for blues up to old school rock and even some early priest/maiden. Lead channel 3 has everything you need to play metal and Then some! And 4 is just another color of heavy!

I am probably the simplest guitarist on the planet. I have a tu-2 floor tuner going to my shure wireless(for shows) In my 20 years of playing, 15 professionally, I've never used effects. So the effects loop doesn't matter too much to me. My effects loop on my last amp (peavey jsx) was used as a solo boost. I've decided that once I dial in a tone that fits with my guitarists bogner, I'll use master B as the solo boost or just switch to channel 4 for leads, just a little louder. A lot of people think I'm crazy to have such a dry signal, but I've never been one to invest in effects. I hate tap dancing in stage.

Either way, I'm greatly pleased! Looking forward to using in at the end of the month at fest in nc I'm playing. Thanks for the advice and great insight on these boards.

Congrats! I think the PBII is the best all around amp for the money anywhere. Great choice.

Yea, the channel switcher is pricey, but it's very tough and roadworthy, and I loved mine when I gigged it. I do use lots of effects, and it was awesome to have the loop and channel switching at my feet when on stage. Awesome amp.

BE83400A-546D-4D50-9CFE-FFA37F066EAD-4001-000002B6262A39E1.jpg

Back