Friedman 4x12 Wiring - Still Parallel-Series?

Thomas-Hawk

Hey all,

Can anyone (Dave?) confirm that the Friedman 4x12 cabs (GBs on top, V30s on bottom) are still wired in Parallel-Series like this:

Dave posted this diagram back in 2014 about how his 4x12 cabinets are wired.

I just bought a BE100 head (love it, btw), and I'm running it thru an EVH 5150 III 4x12 cab, which sounds ok, but I'm going to put Chinese Greenbacks in the top and Chinese V30s in the bottom, to closely mimic the Friedman 4x12 if I can, as it seems the cab dimensions between the EVH and the Friedman are very close, if not identical. I'd just buy a Friedman 4x12 if I had the coin, but alas.

Also, is there any batting material in the Friedman 4x12s?

Thanks for the help!
Tom

Attachments

• Friedman 4x12 Cabinet Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Friedman 4x12 Cabinet Wiring Diagram.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7,685
I did mine this way from that exact drawing. I used an EVH cab and replaced the bottom 2 speakers with v30s. Next I took out 1 of the EVH speakers in the top and replaced with a g12-h30 70 ani.. just to see how it would sound, and I like them better.. just a personal preference.

HilltopExplosion":2mtoubc0 said:
I did mine this way from that exact drawing. I used an EVH cab and replaced the bottom 2 speakers with v30s. Next I took out 1 of the EVH speakers in the top and replaced with a g12-h30 70 ani.. just to see how it would sound, and I like them better.. just a personal preference.

Did you like the V30s in there better than all EVH speakers then? And did you use the Chinese V30s, or the Mesa V30s?

I have both G12M 20W Heritage Greenbacks (which is exactly what the EVH labeled speakers are) and the Chinese made G12M 25W Greenbacks, and they definitely sound different. The 25W Greenbacks have more top end and a little more mids too. I plan on using the 25 watters to start, but also might try the Heritage ones in there too just to see if I like it. I also have Mesa V30s and Chinese V30s.

Hope my speaker mounting brackets don't wear out with all the swapping I'll probably be doing. ;)

Thomas-Hawk":35el74u4 said:
HilltopExplosion":35el74u4 said:

Did you like the V30s in there better than all EVH speakers then? And did you use the Chinese V30s, or the Mesa V30s?

I have both G12M 20W Heritage Greenbacks (which is exactly what the EVH labeled speakers are) and the Chinese made G12M 25W Greenbacks, and they definitely sound different. The 25W Greenbacks have more top end and a little more mids too. I plan on using the 25 watters to start, but also might try the Heritage ones in there too just to see if I like it. I also have Mesa V30s and Chinese V30s.

Hope my speaker mounting brackets don't wear out with all the swapping I'll probably be doing. ;)

I used the Chinese V30. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Friedman's cab has the Chinese Greenbacks and V30s. The EVH's are smoother, to me, and I wanted more aggressive, so a few members had suggested the h30 70 ani. If they didn't work, I was going with the Chinese Greenback, but the h-30 did the trick. :rock:

What if any, would be the difference wiring the cab i series?
Is it wired parallel because of the two different types/values of speakers?

Danjel":3r95rzjm said:

Ohms. If you wire 4 16 ohm speaker in series, you would have a total of 16+16+16+16= 64 ohms.. When you wire in parallel (just 2 speakers for instance), ohms are dropped. 16x16/16+16.. 256/32=8. Do that again, you have another 8 ohms... 2 sets of 2 speakers in parallel. Run the 2 sets in series 8+8=16. The formula is on the diagram also.

Danjel":3ich3fhw said:
It's not parallel it's parallel-series. In order for 4x 16ohm speakers to yield a 16ohm cabinet you have to either wire it series-parallel or parallel-series. And they sound a little different. These two terms get confused/swapped but using the terminology I'm used to: Series-Parallel is each pair of speakers wired in parallel (so each pair would be 8 ohms) and then wire the pairs in series (8+8=16 ohms). Parallel-series is each pair wired in series (16+16=32 ohms) and then each pair is wired in parallel (two 32ohm loads in parallel is 16ohms).

In the diagram above the Greenies are in series and the V30s are in series which I think is important. Like speakers in series as opposed to pairs of V30/Greenies in series. IIRC, the speakers sort of interact with each other when in series so it's important to put the like speakers in series.

According to OP, Friedman wires his cabs parallel...hmmm, didn't know that.

4x12-par-series-wiring_4.jpg

4x12-series-par-wiring_4.jpg

> Might as well throw up the 2x12 wiring too. Wonder which Dave prefers with those.

2x12-par-series-wiring.jpg

Uh, fuck me. Soo many ways! Even the above is NOT how I hooked mine up!!

I hooked mine up in Parallel-Series, meaning, each side left and right has 2 wires going from speaker positive to positive and negative to negative on each side bottom to top. I then have a wire connecting the sides at the bottom from positive to negtive (series), I then have wires coming off the top two speakers going to the jack, a positive and negative!!

To me the diagram in the OP and the diagram above look the same except instead of having them parallel at the jack (like above), those parallel connections are made at speaker terminals. In both cases you have two pairs speakers, each pair wired in series. Then those pairs are wired in parallel (in one case at the jack and in the other at speaker terminals). Schematically they are the same right?

Back