SOLD: Custom Audio Japan Tube Top (5-Watt Desktop Recording Amplifier)

Emperor Guillotine

DESCRIPTION:
I have for sale an incredibly cool, mini amp head that you absolutely won't see or find again here stateside in the West. This is a long-since discontinued Tube Top amplifier head by Custom Audio Japan.

Custom Audio Japan is the Japanese branch of Custom Audio Electronics (owned by Dunlop/MXR here in the USA). CAE founder Bob Bradshaw created CAJ as a company with the goal of offering CAE boutique products and professional touring rig solutions to Japanese artists at a more affordable price. But CAJ also offered some unique, limited edition products such as the Tube Top that were relegated exclusively to the Japanese domestic market.

Spec highlights:
• All-tube head (one EL34 and two 12AX7 tubes)
• 5 watts (5.5 watts output technically)
• 8-ohm and 16-ohm speaker outputs
• Internal dummy load (so no speaker connection is required)
• Two direct-out line outputs for recording
• Headphone output
• Defeatable cab simulation (can be turned on/off for the direct-out line outputs but obviously NOT for the headphone output)

This small, compact, convenient amp head is an all-in-one solution for capturing an all-tube sound for recording at home, then taking it to the stage for smaller gigs where you don’t need a full-size head raging onstage.

This mini head is noted for having a superb clean sound. It reminds me a bit of a Custom Audio Electronics OD series head (for those who are familiar with the OD-50 or OD-100, you’ll know what I’m talking about) without the gobs and gobs of gain, but mashed with the clean channel of an old Mesa Boogie Mark I or Mark II. These mini heads were marketed as being able to handle anything from vintage to casual rock tones; and from what clips I’ve seen/heard online of guys playing everything from rock to jazz fusion (something ala Masayoshi Takanaka who, rather coincidentally, played Mark I and Mark II amps), these Tube Tops can definitely handle a wide range of tones. For a meager 5-watt head, these units sound NICE.

CONDITION:
Absolutely clean with minimal hours. No original factory packaging or box though.

PRICE:
$300 OBO + shipping

I can work with interested buyers on all shipping concerns domestically or internationally.

PHOTOS:

image0-1.jpg

image1.jpg

CAJ-Tube-Top.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I’ve got multiple of these mini heads in my studio setup, and I would be willing to sell another one if any forum members here are potentially interested.

Could you put a clip up showing the high gain potential?
All the YouTube videos of it don’t show any high gain tones.

Thanks!!

👍

Could you put a clip up showing the high gain potential?
All the YouTube videos of it don’t show any high gain tones.

Thanks!!

👍
My guy, I've already told you in our PMs that I legitimately do not have the time nor ability to fish things out, hook things up, do a full recording, etc. I am relocating my space, while also busy working a very taxing day job and dealing with the mundane obligations that we all have as adults.

Kindly decide whether you want to keep comments and responses in the inbox or in this thread. The back-and-forth spamming is becoming annoying.

Back