Good price on a Carvin Legacy!

What is up with the high bidder? "Bidder 1" What the hell is that?

Bidder Information
Bidder: Bidder 1 New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Registered on eBay: Less than 1 day
Item description: Carvin Steve Vai Legacy VL 100 Head C412 Half Stack NR!
Bids on this item: 1

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":6ff0e said:
What is up with the high bidder? "Bidder 1" What the hell is that?

Bidder Information
Bidder: Bidder 1 New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Registered on eBay: Less than 1 day
Item description: Carvin Steve Vai Legacy VL 100 Head C412 Half Stack NR!

That's ebay's fucked up new system. Supposedly it's to kill off the second chance scammers. The Fucked up thing is that now you don't know who's bidding, and it's going to be shill heaven. Prices will be a LOT higher, and ebay will make lots more $$$ off final value fees. :x

"As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page."

:?

Um...what the fuck? So even though it says "Bidder 1" has only been registered for under a day...he could have been registered for years? :?

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":4fb99 said:
Um...what the fuck? So even though it says "Bidder 1" has only been registered for under a day...he could have been registered for years? :?

No, I looked around some other auctions, and they'll give you a brief description of the bidder, for instance:

Bidder Information
Bidder: Bidder 6Feedback score is 50 to 99
Registered on eBay: Between 4 and 5 years
Item description: QSC PLX 3602 Amplifier "A-Stock"

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 13
Items bid on: 10
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 7%
Bids to unique sellers: 9
Bids in unique categories: 6
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months:) 0

You're going to see a LOT of them like the bidder on the legacy though, Because it's a shill bid. IMHO. :x

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":b6d17 said:
What do you mean by "shill bid?"

If you have an auction running, and I bid on it to help drive the price up (With no intention of buying it) I'm "Shilling" for you. It's against ebay's rules, but it's going to be rampant with this new system. People are going to have their best friend or wife, or even start up a second acount on their own to drive up their prices.

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":a6a10 said:
>|<>QBB<

If you have an auction running, and I bid on it to help drive the price up (With no intention of buying it) I'm "Shilling" for you. It's against ebay's rules, but it's going to be rampant with this new system. People are going to have their best friend or wife, or even start up a second acount on their own to drive up their prices.

Ahh, I gotcha. I agree this new system is pretty lame.

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":62690 said:
>|<>QBB<

That's ebay's fucked up new system. Supposedly it's to kill off the second chance scammers. The Fucked up thing is that now you don't know who's bidding, and it's going to be shill heaven. Prices will be a LOT higher, and ebay will make lots more $$$ off final value fees. :x
So, we will ever know when any one of us gets out bid by that "denocanellos" guy? He's outbid me on more amps than everyone put together. Although he did once buy a VHT from me. :D

if people shill bid and the shill bidder is the highest bidder at the end of the auction...and the item is "sold", the buyer would still have to pay ebay the fee....right?

>|<>QBB<
evhfan":ea4af said:
i just bid on something on ebay and my actual account info came up...it doesn't say bidder #

Post the Ebay link, I bet for the rest of us it will just say "Bidder 1"

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":8b99d said:
>|<>QBB<

Post the Ebay link, I bet for the rest of us it will just say "Bidder 1"

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Western-Digital-500-GB-External-Hard-Drive-500GB-WD_W0QQitemZ300072268553QQihZ020QQcategoryZ116258QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the link, when i look at other auctions i still see the person's real name as the high bidder

They're still implementing it into their system, not all auctions have it for some reason.

I think the best thing they could do is to leave it like it was, but as soon as the auction is over, THEN take the bidders list off so that scammers won't have access.

Back